[FINISHED] I'm alive, I'm back, and I'm starting my own foam armor build! (Pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP MEH!!!

I can't find a helmet that would be even remotely plausible with foam! I was hoping for either Hazop or security (if i'm lucky), but so far nothing works. I don't even want to try regular cardstock pepping (the last time i tried i had to shoot the monstrocity to put it out of its mysery) Does anyone either have sufficient pepping skills or foam helmet files to help me? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Drack has talked about doing an entire series of video tutorials on building a foam CQB helmet. In the mean time you can check his thread here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35911-MK-VI-Foam-Build

Also, LilTyrant is going to build a foam Air Assault helmet for her Kat armor, but it'll probably take a few weeks before she can get started:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35790-KAT-ARMOR-BUILD-with-custom-undersuit-*WIP*

And there are a few other different foam helmets around, like DBMike's Noble 6, and I've seen another Halo3 MKVI helmet too.

I can't find a helmet that would be even remotely plausible with foam! I was hoping for either Hazop or security (if i'm lucky), but so far nothing works. I don't even want to try regular cardstock pepping (the last time i tried i had to shoot the monstrocity to put it out of its mysery) Does anyone either have sufficient pepping skills or foam helmet files to help me? Anything would be greatly appreciated.

I did Hugh Holder's ODST helmet out of 3mm Silly Winks foam from Hobby Lobby. It's a small addon to get to the Reach version. I can link you to that one if you're interested(you can see my thread for pictures of it). I also have found that IroniumCostuming's JFO is extremely foam friendly. I'm not sure if I can post the unfold of that one though.

GVbyi.png

And there are a few other different foam helmets around, like DBMike's Noble 6, and I've seen another Halo3 MKVI helmet too.

If you have a link i may have to love you forever

I did Hugh Holder's ODST helmet out of 3mm Silly Winks foam from Hobby Lobby. It's a small addon to get to the Reach version. I can link you to that one if you're interested(you can see my thread for pictures of it). I also have found that IroniumCostuming's JFO is extremely foam friendly. I'm not sure if I can post the unfold of that one though.

Thanks for the help, has ironium done any other helmets that are foam friendly?

Thanks for the help, has ironium done any other helmets that are foam friendly?

The only other one I can find by him is the EOD helmet from Reach. It does look pretty easy to do in foam as well.

fat-hi555's Reach Security helmet can be converted to foam pretty easily as well. A lot of it just has to do with how well the helmet is modeled for detail vs. ease of assembly. Some are just modeled super accurate which makes them not so great for foam just because of all the bumps and stuff that aren't as important or can be added after it's built.

Oh, if you can find "Mark V (Reach mark V (B) textured.pdo", this one looks realy nice for a foam build. I can't repost it though because I'm nearly certain it's a game rip. I don't know where I got it from either.

MOAR UPDATES

Here's the left shin:
IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1399.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

I gotta say the dremel idea was a godsend! BIG Thanks again to missingspartan7 for the idea. Anyway, onto the next piece: the security shoulder.
This one was a little harder, i had to tweek a pep model for foam, but i think it turned out pretty good:

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

I'll have more updates soon. Until then, enjoy!

WOO! UPDATES!

Finally finished the ab plate and bicep pieces:

IMG_1423-Copy2.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1433-Copy.jpg

IMG_1434-Copy.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1438.jpg

I'll be working on the boots and left shoulder next. Updates soon!

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 126
Looks like you're progressing nicely and getting better with the foam work with every piece. Can't wait to see more. Keep up the good work.

Nice work buddy!
Don't forget your heat gun if you need it to help bend some of those pieces :)

SUPER MEGA UPDATE TIEM!
Sorry for being gone for so long! And yes, i know how much you all missed me I've been in a frantic rush to finish my suit for halloween and haven't had a chance to update the thread, so i have a metric fuckton of pictures to upload.

Let's start with the handplates:

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg

Next up is the right shoulder piece:

IMG_1445.jpg

IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Whoops, looks like i didn't get a finished picture of the right shoulder. I'll get that later. Anyway, on to the boots:

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1453.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 125
IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1464.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

That's it for the boots. Now onto the hardest bit: the chest piece:

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1465.jpg
    IMG_1465.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 112
Next is the codpiece, but it's only half done as of now

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

*Whew* that's it for now. I'll definitely be posting a lot regularly since i'm in absolute crunch time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back