Hot Glue gone bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodwolfAC

Ok, so i just started out building the scout suit from halo 3, and ive been using hot glue with my cardstock. It works great, but it gets pushed out and it looks really crappy in some places. Any tips on hot glue-ing that'll actually look good?

My only tip where this is concerned is don't use hot glue. I know there are a lot of people here that do, and love it, but a lot of them also run into the problems you are now. Also, when it comes to the smoothing stage, if you sand down too far and get to the glue, it looks like crap then too (if you watch Cereal Killl3r's videos and build thread, you see him cursing the hot glue as he's sanding his helmet and torso as well).

I use Elmer's white glue. It's cheap, water-based so it's non-toxic, won't burn you or leave behind a ton of strings and residue that looks terrible. If you're not from the US, then look into pva (white) glue.

To combat the issue your having all you need to when applying the glue is put down a thin bead of glue and then using the tip of the gun smooth it out and rub it down before applying the joining piece, this will stop excess pouring out of the join.

I use Elmer's white glue. It's cheap, water-based so it's non-toxic, won't burn you or leave behind a ton of strings and residue that looks terrible. If you're not from the US, then look into pva (white) glue.

This. You barely need a drop. Smear it with a finger or something to get a nice, thin layer and stick. You get a little time to reposition and it sets very quickly so you're never waiting for it to dry.

This. You barely need a drop. Smear it with a finger or something to get a nice, thin layer and stick. You get a little time to reposition and it sets very quickly so you're never waiting for it to dry.

I second that. To make the glue stick instantly, let the glue dry about 20 seconds. It will become tackly and will stick immediately.

I thought elmers glue took a while to dry, thats why i didnt want to use it. And its cardstock, how could elmers hold together cardstock that well?

Take a look at my build (link in signature), I use ONLY elmer's glue for putting together peps. There is a video where I am pepping part of my Battle Rifle, here is the link to that post...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33640-**Yet-Another-Halo-3-Build-Carpathia-s-Mk-VI-Armor-(Lots-of-Pics!)?p=580045#post580045

Skip to about 2:45 and you'll see how I prepare and apply the glue and just how quickly I'm able to move on. Obviously the video's sped up, but I can glue a piece on, and move onto the next one pretty much instantly. And the glue holds VERY well.

I thought elmers glue took a while to dry, thats why i didnt want to use it. And its cardstock, how could elmers hold together cardstock that well?

Elmer's glue, when dry, will hold cardstock together just fine. The paper will tear away before the glue does, even when it's not 100% dried out. The thin layer guarantees a quick drying time. The reason why is that the cardstock absorbs most of the liquid in the glue and the rest dries out quick. You do not want much glue at all. Just a very, very thin layer is enough.

When I was pepping with paper(I don't do this much anymore as I work with foam exclusively now), I was never waiting for it to dry, except where it was in connecting spots where the shape would actually try to pull the two parts away from each other. Otherwise, I could just continue working until I hit one of those spots.

Here's another reason I love Elmer's so much. When you are pepping, if you put some out in a plastic dish like I do, it tacks up a bit, so the drying time is quicker when it's on the pep piece, and when it dries...

DSCN1181.jpg

...clean up is as easy as...

DSCN1182.jpg

If you get some on your fingers, rub your fingers together until it rubs off. If you get it on your clothes, it will wash out. If you get it on your floor/table/wall/whatever, wipe it up with a wet cloth and it's clean!

Ha! Don't you remember that this is the stuff the weird kids ate in kindergarten?

*points at everyone on the forums* you all ate it when you were kids didnt you!? hence why we all are here doing this kinda stuff muhahahahhahah! ok sorry lol

ON TOPIC:

Bloodwolf, good luck with whatever you end up doing :) can't wait to see what you do.

*points at everyone on the forums* you all ate it when you were kids didnt you!? hence why we all are here doing this kinda stuff muhahahahhahah! ok sorry lol

I admit it, I NEVER put the stuff in my mouth, so I have no idea why I'm drawn to it, other than the fact that it's great stuff (to work with).

Alright so i gave up on the scout suit since i can only find the helm and shoulders, so im building master cheif's suit, and does the clear elmers work just as fine?

walmart... i hate the damn walmart :D you can get everythink there... in germany i have many problems to find eva, resin, and any type of materials... the american go to walmart and tada... there it is :D thats not fair. **
but back to topic... yeah ... i work with hot glue and i know the sanding problem... but you can melt the glue down and fill the holes with acrylic filler or stuff like that. its a waste of time but the hot glue save a lot in comparission with normal glue out of a tube.

the hot glue save a lot in comparission with normal glue out of a tube.

That's where I disagree. You even mention that it's a waste of time to melt the glue down and fill it in with acrylic filler when you sand down to it, so there is no savings there. I don't know how it is over in Europe, but in the US, hot glue is more expensive than white glue, so there is a savings there by using white glue. Also, once you glue the pep together, you're done worrying about the glue, even if you sand down through the paper later on, it's not an issue.

There are parts of armor building where I prefer hot glue over any other type of glue, but pepping is not one of them.

I do hear you about Walmart! Yes, it is convenient, but most of their products are very inferior compared to a specialty store, so there's a huge trade-off. For example, I would almost never buy any kind of furniture from Walmart, since most of their furniture is made primarily out of particle board (cheap and almost instantly starts to fall apart).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back