Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's + MA5D (HD pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's worth a try. I'm just hoping that it's not the whole material that has the glossy surface. I may have to end up ripping them off somehow.

UPDATE TIME

Well, it's kind of more an update what happened to my armor. This is what happens when a Jeep rolls over armor. I know this is not nearly as dramatic as it may seem. It mostly just clipped the side of the chest but it's enough to set me back a little bit.
DSCN0457_zps35e97d82.jpg
Tip of the day: Don't leave your armor on the ground.
DSCN0458_zps6fde4d19.jpg

So needless to say, I need to restart my chest but this is okay. I had actually wanted to restart the chest piece because it didn't fit completely correctly. I couldn't come up with a good enough reason to make another one. This is a perfect excuse! When I was looking at the chest I wondered, "what am I going to do with it now?"...Maybe I could shoot it! Maybe with real ammo and some airsoft just for fun. I still haven't decided yet.

One of the handplates is peped and it seems to be scaled correctly.
DSCN0454_zps6380fff5.jpg

DSCN0456_zps26bb97f7.jpg

Here's to a more successful and cheering day. Thanks for passing by!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE TIME

Well, it's kind of more an update what happened to my armor. This is what happens when a Jeep rolls over armor. I knowc this is not nearly as dramatic as it may seem. It mostly just clipped the side of the chest but it's enough to set me back a little bit.

So needless to say, I need to restart my chest but this is okay. I had actually wanted to restart the chest piece because it didn't fit completely correctly. I couldn't come up with a good enough reason to make another one. This is a perfect excuse! When I was looking at the chest I wondered, "what am I going to do with it now?"...Maybe I could shoot it! Maybe with real ammo and some airsoft just for fun. I still haven't decided yet.

One of the handplates is peped and it seems to be scaled correctly.

Here's to a more successful and cheering day. Thanks for passing by!

Nice work friend, it's looking good!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a Halo 3 handplate and not Halo 2?

Nice work friend, it's looking good!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that a Halo 3 handplate and not Halo 2?

Thanks for the complement and yes you are indeed correct. I am using the Halo 3 handplate instead of the Halo 2 handplate. I kind of like the Halo 3 handplate better than the other one in Halo 2. Also I'm using another excuse. I had read somewhere (probably on halopedia) that Bungie originally was going to use the Halo 3 handplate in Halo 2 but ran out of time. So they used a more simplified handplate in the shape of a rectangle. So I guess to make a long story short, the Halo 3 armor was supposed to be the Halo 2 armor in its entirety. The outfit will eventually have dual SMG's with...Halo 2ish/3ish armor theoretically. I like the paint on the Halo 2 armor mostly and the dual SMG's.

Re: Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's

It has been a while. Lately I have been busy this summer working on my armor...slowly. If only I could work on my armor as a job :p. Anyways, most of my armor is now almost past the hardening stage. Other than my helmet partially in the bondo stage, there is nothing to really show. But one thing that really jump started this build was a kit from JUSTINIAN 117. It was his SMG kit. Wait did I just say "a kit"? I actually meant two SMG's. That's right, duel wielding SMG's. This is one of my all time favorite weapon combos. It just looks so awesome! My other favorite combo is the duel needlers but that can be another project for another day.

I'm still waiting on Tactonyx for my primary weapon, the MA5D Assault Rifle. When the kit arrives, I'm hoping I can have it finished by November.

Thanks to JUSTINIAN 117, this build is back in action. The kits were quite simple to assemble. Much easier to assemble than my previous SMG. Sorry for no step by step how I did it, picture wise. I was so excited to put it together I only took pics of its near completion. I really have to work on that :D. I have still yet to paint the screws connecting the foregrip to the main body of the SMGs. I think they turned out quite fantastic.

Halo002_zps21568e94.jpg

Halo003_zps60e1de7b.jpg

I decided to put on an old helmet and my undersuit to give myself a preview of how awesome duel wielding is :).

Halo010_zpsfb6ed1ac.jpg

Again, I want to give a big shout out to JUSTINIAN 117 for the awesome SMGs. Building armor really gives oneself a great sense of accomplishment. I'm glad to be officially back into building amazing armor. Now I hope I can get this armor done by November for the MCC midnight opening.

Thanks for looking!

PS- I just noticed the attachments section. Is is easier to view photos through the attachments or through the way I used it with giant photos? (By the way, the photos I use are from my photobucket account. I use the img link provided and paste it in.) I guess I ask because I have never used attachments before and I don't see them used very often.

UPDATE

The ab plate that was built with my chest didn't come out the way I wanted it to. Instead of building another pepakura piece I decided to try it out with foam. Using foam was a learning experience and has convinced me even more to make a foam build of some type. Anyways, go easy on me :p this was my first attempt at foam. I think the end result was quite satisfactory. The time that it took to make this was extraordinarily fast. Not having to deal with bondo and resin really sped up the process. Using foam though seems quite difficult to grasp when it comes to bigger and more defined armor. I will save a foam build for another time. While I painted up my ab plate, I was working on my helmet. I have an updated picture of the helmet but my camera decided to be stupid and not save any of my photos. So needless to say, I wont post any photos yet of the helmet. But I did also start to work on the biceps.

Halo001_zps2e03e775.jpg

Halo004_zps4fea57a7.jpg

I neglected to take any photos of the plastidip stage but it's there :) . I also used caulking to fill in the gaps. It has held up well so far and I was very pleased how well it worked out.

Halo009_zpse36ce555.jpg

After I put a hammered silver coat on, I decided to move onto the primary color, oregano.

Halo021_zps5f1ea13d.jpg

The black wash really helped out with making it pop out. After a black wash I lightly misted with the oregano again and re-defined the crevices with some black acrylic paint applied by a toothpick.

Halo029_zpsf8eb33a2.jpg

To add even more definition, I used Adam's method of applying wear. I sprayed silver onto a paintbrush and lightly brushed the edges.

Halo034_zps881e8343.jpg

Sadly, the photos that were a part of the helmet were also the finishing stages of the ab plate. Basically I just put a clear coat on the ab plate.

The bicep is coming along nicely. I can really speed up my bondo work thanks to cerealkiller and his...killer videos :D. Using a blade to trim away the bondo makes for short work.

Halo018_zps9857b9e3.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. I hope to have this build done by November 11th. We all know what day that is :ninja.

@BadDragon- Thanks, I will definitely be updating this as often as I can.
@ELITEx3xASTRO- I got the SMG kits from Justinian117. They were actually his most recent project and I jumped on the opportunity to get myself a pair of SMG's.

UPDATE

By small and simple things are great things brought to pass. Working little by little sure does go far. I have decided to finish pieces starting from the top and ending with the bottom. So far the helmet and right bicep are painted up. Electronics and padding are the only things that are needed now. The visor and the chest are next up for bondo. Right now I'm drawing up the extra details of the visor. Nothing worthy of picture taking yet. Finishing up the helmet has really gotten me excited to finish the rest of the armor. Without further ado, here are some pics.

I had heard somewhere that attachments are the preferred method when it comes to photos. The attachments aren't working for me for some reason. I get a "sending request to 405th.com" message in the bottom left half of the window. So photobucket here we come!

Here is the base coat for the bicep and the helmet.

halo030_zps70b7f560.jpg

halo026_zps562b4a27.jpg

Add some black washing and some more black washing with some black filling in :)

halo034_zps7fed4d19.jpg

halo035_zpsc4a9e1d7.jpg

Add in the add-on details and this is the result.

halo043_zpse4b420b1.jpg

halo044_zps9f4d0c61.jpg

Here are the bicep and the helmet together. This is not the visor I am using. I'm just not a fan of the flat visor. I prefer the bulbous shape of the Mark VI visor.

halo047_zps58a8571b.jpg

And one final shot for this update...

halo049_zps3fca016d.jpg

There are still a few things that the helmet needs such as electronics and the breathing thingy part. But for now, the painting is done. Painting up the helmet and bicep has me really looking forward to having the whole suit.

Thanks for stopping by!

Update...kind of. I recently watched one of Adam's painting tutorials and after watching it, I want to change all of my previous paint jobs. I couldn't help myself :p. So I'm in the stage of removing the paint and starting over. I also had to re-adjust my chest because it was scaled to me rather than me with my pressure suit on.

I'm also in the works of finishing up the faceplate but have a question. Is there a certain type of sculpting clay that is recommended? Instead of using bondo to shape the details in the faceplate, I figured sculpting clay would be easier to create all of the details.

With Destiny out I am finding it hard to get my butt out to the garage :). But this project is still trudging along.

Update

I went ahead and did some research and bought some apoxie sculpt for the faceplate. It worked out well. While it's not as smooth as I want it, that's what sanding is for :).

20140921_102406_zpscksx0shm.jpg

20140921_102416_zpsbckkqw9a.jpg

My strapping also came in the mail. I'm going to be strapping the forearms I completed yesterday along with adding some padding.

20140921_102439_zpsozn0vw85.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

UPDATE

This thread may have been quiet but the progress is coming along! During this span of time I have finished my forearms and chest. There are still a few things that need to adjusted but other than that, I am ready to move on to the next section. I had my little brother take some pics of the progress so far.

20141118_191750_zpsvbdoikva.jpg

20141118_192358_zpsknmf9n44.jpg

20141118_192745_zpsvpg4ufzy.jpg

20141118_192758_zpsjsm7qe7m.jpg I'm not exactly sure what happened here, haha. I guess it's a face palm.

The helmet is not entirely done. As you can see, the faceplate still has the Chinese tags on them. I'm going to save it for last though. It will encourage me to finish the rest of the armor. Right now I'm working on the butt armor. But the dang cold weather is slowing me down a little.

Anyways, thanks for taking a look!

UPDATE​

I finally have something worthwhile to show! During the time of December and now, I have since migrated my workplace to a more permanent place. It's nice and insulated so the weather doesn't slow me down anymore. Unfortunately, I do have to commute to this location but it is well worth the drive. In any case, armor time.

I have my thighs painted to it's primary color, oregano. I forgot to take pictures though. I will probably give another update later this night. For mounting my SMG's, me and my brother came up with how to mount them. Instead of relying on magnets, I have opted for a more stable solution. It will be easier to show once I have completed the whole process. The SMG's will be held by a hook that is mounted to my parachute belt, threaded into the thighs. The hook will partially wrap around the handle. A strap with some type of snap on the end will help keep the SMG's in place. Hopefully that made some sense :)

While I wait for the paint to cure (in its different phases), I had a chance to take a look at my shins...and I was sorely disappointing with my work. Needless to say, if I were to continue working on them I would spend an endless amount of time smoothing and sanding. I gave up on them and decided to do a little bit of adventuring. A foamy adventure.

After watching all of @Spacemeat's videos on YouTube, I decided to give foam a try.

I have to give credit to @HaloGoddess. I checked her website out and found an image of an unfold on the shin I was working on. It helped give me a guide as to how to unfold the shin. If anyone is interested in the foam unfold, let me know. I'll get it on the 405th somehow, haha. Now onto the goodies.

DSCN10421_zps35e65833.jpg

f6913537-d1fe-4017-8a7f-1e9f47d24b28_zpse674fab7.jpg

DSCN10451_zpsf3bc22cf.jpg

On the knee pad section, I tried to angle the foam as best as I could without it ripping. I figured the add-on detail will give the knee pad the "pop" it needs.

a26e0d49-245a-4e26-9e40-e0903509c053_zps7d046249.jpg

DSCN10531_zps3a5e4b5a.jpg

After putting the add-on detail on the front knee pad, it really adds to the look (not because it's red, haha).

DSCN10541_zpsac2a22ae.jpg

Overall, this is my first foam piece I have assembled (not counting the ab piece). I am almost converted to making foam armor now. The shin isn't perfect but I know if I keep working at it, I will get better at foam. The other shin is in the phase of being cut at the moment.

It's time for a trip to Lowe's. I need to pick up some drywall spackle that spacemeat recommends. Once that is done the shin can be plasti-dipped.

As always, thanks for taking a look! If there are any critiques, feel free to voice them.

Re: Frozensnot's Mark VI w/ duel SMG's (HD pic heavy)

UPDATE

Lots of stuff to update.

My shoulders are also complete with the kind of new paint job. Lights and strapping are installed too.

One of my shins has finished the paint phase and is ready to move onto the lighting and strapping phase. I am very happy with my results on my newer form of battle damage. It doesn't even look like a foam piece. I will go into a little more detail with the pictures. The other shin has a coat of primer and is ready for the base color.

The boots are taking me a while to complete. Instead of just sticking the fiberglass parts on my boots, I wanted to create the whole boot of the Mark VI. I used carpathia's method of strapping and it works quite well. I even did an attempt to copy the pattern of the soles even though nobody will really see them
:facepalm. I figured I would go the extra mile anyways. I guess the extra foam will make me taller, haha.

My helmet also has some battle damage on it but nothing picture worthy really. It still needs some work.

In any case, onto the pictures.

DSCN10711_zpshdt1o6oz.jpg

It's crazy to think that this shin went from this...

DSCN10721_zpsc0w2ahjj.jpg

...to this! My newer version of battle damage is a big improvement from my other version. It's way easier too :)

I basically just take some black acrylic paint and move my brush into a swipe/scratch motion onto the edges. Once it is dry, I follow up with spraying a course, bristle brush with chrome spray paint and basically repeat what I did with the black acrylic paint. I also did a simple black wash with a dirt wash (well that's what I call it, haha). I wanted the shin to pop out a little more so I literally put some mud on the shin. Mud adds personality :D

DSCN11011_zpsftri4zyq.jpg

847c4fa1-5165-4b14-8015-325bf37336a9_zps3s0v7bjd.jpg

a180b4c7-baf5-4a70-91bb-6926015c3542_zps4r7azlyq.jpg

The other shin is ready for the base color. I decided to give some real battle damage to it. Just a plasma wound.

DSCN11111_zpswx2kts3k.jpg

While the shin was drying from the clear coat, I figured I could start on constructing the boots. Since there is no templates for the soles of boots, I used a reference picture from my Halo Encyclopedia (which is helpful and awesome) and sketched them out.

DSCN10841_zpsctwphvtr.jpg

This is the result.Some of the edges didn't seal properly seal so I'm going back and sealing the edges with some hot glue. Not only will these make me taller, I will leave my footprint behind wherever I go. The Mark VI soles sure are unique.

DSCN11061_zpswap5pbt3.jpg

I used carpathia's method of strapping and it works quite well.

DSCN11101_zpsbllqcrcm.jpg

Now I need to make the middle section of the boot. I'm still a little unsure as how I will go about that. I think I will just have to move forward. If I keep stopping and thinking about how I will go about doing it, nothing will get done. I also ordered all of my supplies for wiring all of my lights. Most of my weekend is going to be used up trying to learn how to solder. I got a couple of starter kits for Christmas so I will start on those first before my supplies arrive. Wish me luck!

Thanks for stopping by!

Very righteous! Good to see you still working on the suit

I love it when people go the extra mile with detail. People may not see your boot soles, but at least you know how truly awesome they are :) Everything is looking great so far!

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, I appreciate it!

Very righteous! Good to see you still working on the suit
Thanks! A work in the progress for almost 2 years, haha.

I love it when people go the extra mile with detail. People may not see your boot soles, but at least you know how truly awesome they are :) Everything is looking great so far!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to when I can take the boots out and see my imprint in the mud or something :)

I'm in the process of doing a black wash on my shin and a light mud wash on my helmet (no pics yet). I also purchased 2 plungers with the ridges for my boots. Everything is coming together nicely!

holy crap! This is AWESOME! The details and weathering is really awesome. Following this thread to see the end result!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back