Questions on 3D modeling and costume design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemata

Hello all! Let me start by saying this looks like a great community here, I love costuming. Apologies if this topic is misplaced, I couldn't find good info on my specific query.

Ive done many small props and facepaint costumes for anime conventions, mostly pokemon characters and I've even made my own full fursuit (please dont start an off topic tangent on the furry fandom). So now I'd like to design a costume made from fiberglass resin armor of an original robotic character I designed (am designing). I have so many ideas in store and even started buying supplies. I've read the noob FAQ and feel as though I'm prepared. I thought I'd get used to the process first just by making a helmet from Halo using pepakura.

So here's what I'm wondering. I'd like a way to get a scale model of myself in a 3D modeling program that I can build on to check scale and most importantly make sure the costume looks cool. I've tried sketching over a photo of myself in photoshop with lame results. Is this sort of thing possible? If so can the results be imported to pepakura? I have no knowledge on 3D modeling what so ever, but I feel I could learn it rather easily.
Any thoughts or information about this?

Lastly a small theoretical design challenge has me stumped. My character's visor has an abnormal shape. It's like a regular motorcycle type visor piece, but comes to a point in the center. Like if you look at it from the top it'd be sort of a soft V shape. Is there any way to bend or form visors like that?

Thanks a lot in advance. Im at work now so If I can think of anything else I'll post it. Sorry again if this is in the wrong place.

Try Autodesk's 123D Catch for a cheap way to scan yourself:
http://www.123dapp.com/catch

You're going to need to take a LOT of photos for it to work well. Also wear form fitting clothes if you can and practice standing absolutely still.
Some sort of turntable could also work.

Welcome to the 405th! Regarding the question of the visor, I don't know if there is any that are made that way by manufacturer's, but it isn't impossible, just difficult. You can vacuform a sheet of plastic into the desired shape, granted you have a representation of the visor you want to make. I'm not the expert on this method, but in the stickies, there is more info.

I'm curious as to what sort of costume you had in mind. I love original costumes and wish there were more of them.

Seth

I also suggest 123d catch. You would however need to clean up the 3d data once you made your "scan"

Here is my face using this program, You should close your eyes though. 123D catch can't handle reflective/transparant things.

282277_3762774760853_10215551_n.jpg

Ah thank you wonderful people! That website looks exactly like what I need, but I don't think I need an extremely detailed clone of myself, just one with my face and proportions. I will try this out tomorrow night and begin scouring the tutorials in the 3D modeling section. Once I have a model of myself in 3D it's entirely possible to build on correct? I'd like to build the armor pieces on top of it.

I'm curious as to what sort of costume you had in mind. I love original costumes and wish there were more of them.

Seth

It's a robot character I've been working on developing to be a persona for my music production. If you'd like to know more or chat about it feel free to PM me.

On a side note, why does google chrome keep warning me that this is a threat site?

Ah thank you wonderful people! That website looks exactly like what I need, but I don't think I need an extremely detailed clone of myself, just one with my face and proportions. I will try this out tomorrow night and begin scouring the tutorials in the 3D modeling section. Once I have a model of myself in 3D it's entirely possible to build on correct? I'd like to build the armor pieces on top of it.

It's a robot character I've been working on developing to be a persona for my music production. If you'd like to know more or chat about it feel free to PM me.

On a side note, why does google chrome keep warning me that this is a threat site?

Well learning 3d has a steap learning curve. I suggest following the links in the sticky in the 3d section.
And if you obtained yourself in 3d I suggest building around the object. Instead of modelling on it.
Like you said i'ts for proportions. What you want to do is make it fit.

And the warning is a worm that got in the forum. If you have a virus blocker this wouldn't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back