ColFork85 1st Build - Agent Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Weldwood, is that the DAP Contact Cement?

If you are having issues with it, I've had a lot of experience with it, and I hope they can help.
Back when I made boffer weapons (kinda like Larp, but will full force hits and more of a reenactment style of fighting), which were foam-padded PVC meant to not bruise or break bones, we used the blue-camp-pad foam rolls from Walmart, and to glue it, we used cans of DAP Contact Cement.

For best results with DAP, you want to apply the glue to both sides separately, and let it sit briefly before pressing the two halves together.
You also want to apply pressure after connecting two pieces together.

In terms of gluing the foam onto the core of a weapon or shield, you want to actually rough up the surface of the core (whether it is PVC, Fiberglass Driveway Rods, or sheets of polyethylene). Roughing up the surface lets the foam stick to the core better, otherwise the Dap kind've has the tendency to peel away from the core, which is something you really don't want. Swords typically had a striking side and a flat side, if your core came lose the blade could turn around and when you swung you could really hurt someone.

I hope this helps. Most people don't know to apply DAP on both surfaces and then wait till it is sticky.

Yes, Weldwood is a DAP contact cement, recommended by thorn696

It's not so much getting it to stick together that I'm having an issue with, as I got one end stuck together. The problem is I have a lot of surface area and a tiny brush. So I was just wondering if a spray adhesive would be a reasonable option? For the detail pieces, I'm sure I can get the Weldwood to work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Weldwood is a DAP contact cement, recommended by thorn696

It's not so much getting it to stick together that I'm having an issue with, as I got one end stuck together. The problem is I have a lot of surface area and a tiny brush. So I was just wondering if a spray adhesive would be a reasonable option? For the detail pieces, I'm sure I can get the Weldwood to work fine.

Tear off/cut a piece of foam to spread it with as your brush.
Like I said, you want DAP to actually sit for a little while before assembling the pieces. It goes from feeling liquidy to feeling tacky, once is feels sticky/tacky is when you put the pieces together.
It's not super glue where you need things assembled at the time that you apply the glue.

Don't forget that it comes in a tub, you can dump it out onto it, but its hard to make sure that you don't pour too much.

Fyi, it is not carpet friendly, it won't come out. It turns the carpet into a solid puck.

Tear off/cut a piece of foam to spread it with as your brush.
Like I said, you want DAP to actually sit for a little while before assembling the pieces. It goes from feeling liquidy to feeling tacky, once is feels sticky/tacky is when you put the pieces together.
It's not super glue where you need things assembled at the time that you apply the glue.

Don't forget that it comes in a tub, you can dump it out onto it, but its hard to make sure that you don't pour too much.

Fyi, it is not carpet friendly, it won't come out. It turns the carpet into a solid puck.

Right, but like I said, it's not that I'm not sure how to use it, I'm just wondering if spray would work better than this.

I've used 3M Super 77 (which is supposed to be like spray DAP, but I don't think it is) in the past and I've had some issues with it. Albeit it could have been I was trying to attach display board foam to plexiglass which is why I was having issues.

Foam on foam should hold up pretty well, but what I was using it for might have been the wrong application for it, which is why the foam panels kept falling off the plexiglass backing.
Fortunately though, during the presentation they all held up.

If all else fails, buy some and use it on a test piece before trying it on your actual piece.
If you don't have a deadline, allow it to sit for a few days before trying to pull or slide it apart.

Keep in mind that some sprays (like with paints) have chemicals known to dissolve foam. Again, this is just something you'll need to test.

So, I went ahead and got some Super 77. I'm in love. For large surface areas, this is amazing. Now, even with the lessons I've learned so far, I MAY eventually be able to make more for people...MAY be able to.

I suppose this could be considered progress.

IMG_0496.JPG

I ended up just using hot glue to cement the PVC to the foam. It will likely be the only hot glue used on it, the rest of the detail pieces will be held on by either Weldwood or Super 77.

I still need to get a scope, and I'm likely just going to get a scope from a Nerf gun and use that. Unless someone has a better suggestion.

It's been 4 days, but I've made progress. I'm working on getting the skin and some details added. Left to do, still, are to get a scope, the flash suppressor, and the front iron sight.

IMG_0501.JPG

Also, I began working on new boots, and I'm formulating a plan for a new belt/cod that has form AND function.

I've made progress, but I also made another video!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back