Props MA5C Assault Rifle Quick EVA Foam build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prettyfloralbonnet

Jr Member
I needed a quick weapon to replace the worn out shotgun for a convention and Halo 4 release so I thought I'd go with the Assault Rifle, one of the more recognizable and simplistic guns from the first few Halo games.

I had about a week for a deadline so I chose EVA foam floor mats and (regrettably) used the sliced MA5C file from the 405th pep files download. The sliced AR resulted in a gun that looked like it had too short of a scope area and large rear handle but otherwise it turned out surprisingly well. Also, my initial inspiration for the foam version of this gun stems from this thread http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/29938-Ma5C-Sliced-First-Attempt

My progress shots are limited since I was in a rush but feel free to check cuju3131's WIP thread linked above as we went through some of the same steps in the beginning.

The core of the gun was three sheets of 3/8" foam with the center being reinforced with the cheapest wood I found at Home Depot.
IMG_20121007_231320.jpg

The top of the gun or scope area was cut and mounted separately. I used five layers of foam and some heavy use of a belt sander to give the tapered look. I soon realized that it was far too wide but I was limited by the thickness of the foam and what I'd already built and didn't have time to reconsider. The following is a shot of the scope with some LEDs installed for the screen which I'll show in a bit.
IMG_20121027_054336.jpg

The "screen" was nothing more than an image altered with Microsoft Paint Brush, printed onto clear decal paper, and sandwhiched between two sheets of plastic. Three high brightness blue LEDs were sanded as was one of the sheets of plastic in order to diffuse the light and give the illusion of a lit screen.
IMG_20121018_051047.jpg

The grip of the gun was tricky since the foam doesn't bend in two different directions at once. I'd have taken a picture here but it's really sloppy and I ended up covering the fix with a sheet of 2mm foam which has no problems being wrapped in that tricky area in the center of the grip. Here's the gun with the core of the gun finished and some of the foamies added.
IMG_20121027_054305.jpg

IMG_20121027_054201.jpg

Jumping right to the gun with most of the detailing added and lighting on. Notice the very front had the line or cut that doesn't belong. Again, the foam didn't like being molded to that shape so I borrowed a detail from Halo 4's AR as a cheat.
IMG_20121028_225945.jpg

Found some Neodymium Magnets at Home Depot and mounted the gun to the same place the shotgun went.
IMG_20121030_041219.jpg

And jumping right ahead to the finished gun:
IMG_20121109_182435.jpg

Finally, in action at the Halo 4 release:
69117_549944005031437_1497949275_n.jpg

buddy seriously great rifle.. im so impressed that ive gone out and bought eva foam floor mats to try my own.. only problem im having is scaling as the sliced pep file is printing very very small..

Missed this thread but thought I'd add my 2c and say how well the build turned out! Hell, if I made that I'd be happy as larry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back