PSA – The 405th Pepakura Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissingSpartan7

(It helps if you read this in Cave Johnson’s voice. Seriously.)

On behalf of 405th Industries™, I will now present a short, informative public service announcement about our recently developed innovation – the DATABASE.

-------

At one point or another, you haven’t been able to find a file you need for, and some of you have even posted threads depicting your woes – often not much different to this:
clueless_user said:
hai guys, I woz looking f0r mister chefs helmet can sum1 pls email the file to me!
I agree, that was terrible – but it does happen.

Well, never fear! Those dark days of bad spelling and grammar are over! Oh, and also the needless threads asking for files that are insanely easy to find – they’re done too!

Here at 405th Industries™, we have devised an ingenious system so simple, that even our monkeys˟ can operate it. Our Designated Automatic Template Archive for Builders Assembling Spartan Equipment utilises the latest in communications technology to store and distribute the necessary files for all your building needs.

However, we realise that large ambiguous titles are hard to remember, just like your PIN code, so we condensed it down into a simple acronym – DATABASE. Now whenever you are in desperate need of crucial files, you can find them – without the hassle of hours of searching. And just like our conveniently condensed acronym, we have also condensed hundreds of files into a singular location – to make it as easy as possible for you to get started on whatever project you have next.

Now, witness the unveiling of the 405th Industries™ DATABASE!

Ha! Or, you can go to the same link below…

If you can’t find it elsewhere, come here, and we’ve probably got it! If we don’t, send a letter to our complaints department, and they’ll archive your letter in a box along with all your other complaints. If you have any other assorted feedback, just use the same address – it all goes to the same place anyway.

Additional information, news updates and other boring things can be found on our Official™ Thread

Keep calm, don’t panic, and remember – we are here to help!

CJ

-------
This has been another informative 405th Industries™ Public Service Announcement.

˟No animals were harmed in the making, or testing of this product.
405th Industries is not actually trademarked, but it should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your awesomeness never ceases to amaze with your all in one database my friend!! i think it should be stickied

Is the database something that is going to be continually updated? I downloaded it last night and noticed it hade the Mark VI from 1, 2, and 3, but I couldn't find it from 4. I could probably find it elsewhere but I was just curious if it would be there eventually.

Is the database something that is going to be continually updated? I downloaded it last night and noticed it hade the Mark VI from 1, 2, and 3, but I couldn't find it from 4. I could probably find it elsewhere but I was just curious if it would be there eventually.

The Halo 4 files were deliberately not included in the [2012 Edition] compilation, as the files are still being produced, and a compiled .zip would become out of date the moment a new file was released.
Or, here's the official release information on the Database thread.

(Click the [>>])
Otherwise, you could use the normal Database, which is linked in the first post.

CJ

-------
NAVIGATION HELP
-------
i can't get back to the main menu i just keep getting taken to the last one i was at
Just hit the little blue back arrow.
@Lockon
Sim is on the right track - this should help explain it a bit more.
1e6.png

MS7

I would like to comment that unless you know exactly what you're looking for...by name...the 4shared Halo database isn't very user-friendly. Having a small screen capture of the model beside each link (like the old file index has) would make it much more convenient when browsing for something based on looks rather than by name. It just takes too long to download each file and open it to determine whether it's the one you're looking for or not.

The database is not that large if you just download the entire thing. On the other hand I do agree with you a thumbnail of the files would be helpful.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

20 seconds is a long time? It's a free file share site. 4shared, to my knowledge, does not offer the use of thumbnails. While the initial layout of the Halo Pep Wiki was decent, anyone could modify it; and many took advantage of that multiple times, ruining the page. Just be glad that MS7 even bothered to gather up everything so it is at least organized (something he did out of the kindness of his heart, mind you). Otherwise you'd be chasing your tail all over the forums looking for the files you want. With the way it is now, it might only take you 5 minutes to find what you're looking for, rather than hours sifting through threads, or posting question threads that may not get answered.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend - I'm just commenting on the way it is now without any knowledge of how things used to be and thus oblivious to how much improved it apparently is. With all the 4shared ads enabling it to be free for most users, it can take nearly 20 seconds for each page to load - and that's before any download is started, and not counting the 20 second delay before download commences for free access. This also doesn't account for the time opening the file to examine the model only to conclude it wasn't the right one. Downloading the entire database is a bit overkill, don't you think - and then it doesn't really resolve anything except reduce the time for reviewing each file. You're still left with a list of names except now they're on your hard drive instead of in the database. This was just an idea to help people find what they're looking for when they don't know its "official" name. Maybe add an overview document at the top level (if not already there...) which indexes the files in the database with thumbnails? Being a document, it would then be searchable by users knowing by name what they're looking for, be quicker to navigate than the hierarchical database tree, and could include hypertext links to the database files. Again, just a thought...

Yeah, no offense taken. I'm just saying that we've got it a heck of a lot better than we did, say 3 years ago. At least we know that, for example, all the Halo 3 torso files are in one place and it doesn't really take terribly long to look at each one. Imagine hunting through the forums trying to find a particular file, only to find that it's the wrong one all together. Honestly, if you don't have 5 or 10 minutes to spare to look for a file, then you really don't have enough time/patience for the hobby in the first place (not saying you personally, just in general).

I'm not saying that the way it is now is perfect, but trying to optimize it the way you're describing is a huge undertaking (and most likely not free) that most are not willing to do.

Seems to work fine for me, I just tried the database myself.

The little folder icon, with the blue arrow pointing upwards, has returned me to every folder I've come from, and I've tried multiple folders.

Try refreshing, but let's troubleshoot: which browser are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back