And so it begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
your right DOOOOOOOHHH!!!!

should work fine now and heres some pics too

20140908_224744.jpg 20140908_224805.jpg 20140908_224855.jpg

pep looks wonderful, for the neck part instead of doing the split parts and hinge maybe moulding it outta rubber? so that it just kinda flexes and streches around your head? just a thought.

its an interesting thought blorin but i was hoping to use it some sort of mini motor to pull the under chin parts into place through a complicated system where by a button under the foam at the top of the helmet responds to the pressure of my head when i put the helmet on so the motors are activated automatically and seal the "under chin part" all by itself.

I do have a question though. I'm looking at resins and from cereal kill3rs video i understand there are two types. polyester resin and epoxy resin. Now id favour epoxy as i understand there are little to no fumes but when i search on ebay alot of glue and adhesive epoxy resin options come up. So is epoxy glue/adhesive resin the same as just epoxy resin or is there some difference im unaware of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PC-X2-RA...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item33945624e8

thats the sort of thing thats confusing me. Also should I resin in and outside then resin and fibreglass inside or should i resin outside and rondo inside of helmet I only ask cos i saw cereal kill3r rondo the inside of some armour.

thanks

its an interesting thought blorin but i was hoping to use it some sort of mini motor to pull the under chin parts into place through a complicated system where by a button under the foam at the top of the helmet responds to the pressure of my head when i put the helmet on so the motors are activated automatically and seal the "under chin part" all by itself.

I do have a question though. I'm looking at resins and from cereal kill3rs video i understand there are two types. polyester resin and epoxy resin. Now id favour epoxy as i understand there are little to no fumes but when i search on ebay alot of glue and adhesive epoxy resin options come up. So is epoxy glue/adhesive resin the same as just epoxy resin or is there some difference im unaware of.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PC-X2-RA...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item33945624e8

thats the sort of thing thats confusing me. Also should I resin in and outside then resin and fibreglass inside or should i resin outside and rondo inside of helmet I only ask cos i saw cereal kill3r rondo the inside of some armour.

thanks

That sounds like a pretty cool idea and i dont think it would be too complicated, as for the epoxy resin i beleave its the same stuff but in smaller quanities. now i dont know if you live in the uk but i did a search and found a site that has epoxy resin in larger quanities starting at £10.00 Here and have them in different cure times.

i do live in the UK and that link is very helpful thank you.

ive decided my next actions will be

resin inside then outside
fibreglass inside (still not not sure whether to use matt or cloth fibreglass)
File down outside to reveal low and high points (saw cereal kill3r do this for armour not sure if its needed for helmet)
Rondo outside and shape

If you have any tips on matt or cloth or whether i should file the outside (with a rasp) before rondo please let me know

many thanks

oooo also while i remember im buying a respirator but theres so many different types

is this ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3M-4251-0...=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item2c8bc7a735

or should i go for something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201080927020?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Cloth is more managable for getting into small areas and crevices.
it will be a little easier when you fiberglass the inside to out a layer of rondo on the inside to fill in the small hard to get to areas so you get less bubbles when ya fiberglass
i dont think you will need to rasp too much of the helm but it will help alot, and you probably will want to use strait bondo / body filler instead of rondo, rondo depending on how you mix it is going to be more runny than bondo.
for respirators i used the 2nd one at my old work and i liked it alot was verry comfortable to wear also the cartrages were easy to change.

ok so ive been procrastinating.

I bought some cheap polyester resin instead of the epoxy because... it was cheap. but after i got it i just kept reading about what one breath of that stuff can do to you. Even though ive got a mask the thought of using it just freaked me out. Yes im a scaredy cat lol. But have some epoxy resin on the way http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141360489830?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

so when i apply this stuff for the first time, and i dont mean its the first coat on the helmet although it is, i mean its the first time working with the stuff (got the safety gear) what volume (fl oz or ml) should i be looking at to cover the entire outside of the helmet. personally i was thinking 1-2 fl oz at most.

also should i resin inside wait for it to dry and then resin again to lay fibreglass on or should i just go straight in with the resin and fibreglass (this is based on the premise that ive already resined the outside)

thanks in advance

hi all.
The epoxy resin i got has a high viscosity and its more like a gel or paste than a liquid so I dont know what would be best. should i just brush it on still or should i use a spatula (subway card) to layer it on. Please see the attached picture the left hand side is the brush test and right is the spatula test. It hardened normally but just thinking for ease of build what would you do brush or spatula?

20141223_152217.jpg

update 17-01-15

So ive resined the outside of my helment with the epoxy resin. It hardened and was pretty good. Still could press in at points but i expected this. However when trying to use the epoxy resin on the inside It was awkward and difficult due to its high viscosity. So i bit the bullet and started using the scary polyester resin with fiberglass on the inside. ive got about a quarter done so far.

Im already thinking ahead though. So once ive completed fibreglass ill move on to bondo. Now alot of the details in the helmet were held in the texture files including some indentation lines and hence werent shown in the pep. Ive looked around and cant find any sort of instructions in engraving bondo. Shaping and building up areas yes but nothing in engraving lines and such. A friend advised me that if thats what im planning to do ill need to use a flex body filler as if i use solid body filler it will loose strength and crack when i add lines into it.

So im just wondering has anyone tried anything like this and how you did it. Did you use hand tools or a dremel or did you try and shape the indentations in the bondo while it was drying?

thanks for your help in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back