And so it begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelus214

Hello All,
According the video i need to introduce myself.

Hi everyone I'm angelus and I'm a noob.

So why am I here. Well Im here to learn how to make helmets. My brain recently made me obsess over this (shut up brain or ill stab you with a Q-tip). I should say upfront the helmet I want to make isnt Halo related. Thats not to say Im not a fan I love halo (except what happened towards the end of 4, wont spoil it for those who aint played it though) and have played them all. But the helmet I want to make is from a different game but the processes you all use (expertly it seems) look to be transferable to what I want to make.

Unfortunately I seem to be stumbling at the first hurdle getting the Pep for it. I will have to extract and make the pep file myself and as I know nothin about wireframes or 3DS or anything along these lines and I find it difficult to learn its taking some time. So in the meantime thought Id come here and read up on the next steps (if I get that far) as you guys know what you're talking about.

Found you guys through the guy who made the Halo helmet with the see through visor (truly a superb piece of work).

Thats all i can think of right now

Im currently playing star trek online and really would like to make one of the MACO helmets from in game. I figured out 3dripperDX and am able to save frames to open in autodesk 3ds max. But sometimes the frames dont contain the character with the helmet just the area i captured. And when it does i can select the wireframe of what I want but dont know how to add a texture or whatever it is to turn it from a wire frame to a solid object with lines on. Or how to export to .3ds or any other format the pepakura designer uses.

So i suppose im technically still in the starting blocks lol

Limited success so far.

Ive been able to finally extract a wireframe and export it to a Pep file. Still a bit of an issue in that the 3dripperdx frames I capture are missing certain things. Its not an exact rip of the scene I see in game.

Which is where the difficulty is. Certain objects from the scene I capture show certain other objects dont. Does anyone know why this is?

thanks

Welcome! Don't stress about not making halo armor, this community is an armorer community first, halo second. I personally am making some Skyrim Pieces right now.

As for the helmet, it looks like an halo EVA helmet, so I'd look up how to do the visor for that. Its not a simple setup, I know that.

For the model, somewhere, somehow that model is on your computer if you're playing it. There has to be a way to rip it straight from the game then clean it up.

Eureka!!

Eureka!!!

Finally found the wireframe model and how to export it properly. Not only that but i did scaling on the pep model and printed it on normal paper to test it out as to not ruin my newly bought card stock.

Here is what ive done so far on the scale helmet this part is without the visor just as a test run for what ill be doing later. Ive noticed that the amount of glueable flap area is, on some lines, not very much. Maybe when I scale up this will change. or ill have to split it up better,

You may need to refresh the page if you load the big screen version

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

... this community is an armorer community first, halo second.

Actually, we're a halo costuming community first, everything else second. But non-halo costuming is certainly welcome.

Excellent start so far, and an interesting project too. I've always loved the Star Trek universe as well, but have not had the opportunity to play STO yet. Good luck!

thanks for the encouragement all

how carefully do you have to follow the fold lines. I havent been at all i just wanted to see how it turns out with glue and flaps and it seems pretty good. However im look at these more in depth now and some of them would be very difficult to follow without cuttung parts that dont seem to need cutting.

thanks

Remember that getting good at pep work takes some practice. Before I started any major projects, I practiced on models that I would just throw away. Keeping that in mind, it is a good idea to be careful with folds. Errors made during the pepakura step end up having to be fixed in the bondo step, which makes the work that much more difficult. Not that you won't have errors, but the fewer, the better.

However, sometimes pepakura generates folds that actually don't exist. Remember that if there isn't supposed to be a fold in a certain area, then don't fold it. This usually isn't the case, but it does sometimes happen. Best of luck to you!

Sergant Tinkers great minds do think a like as i was planning to run a few pep models first partly for scaling partly for practise. Ive done another larger version and paid a little more attention to how the folds were and it looks better to me. able to keep its shape more. I think folds are definately the way to go see what you think.

Again you may need to refresh the page if you load the big screen version

image.jpg

image.jpg

BTW the bigger version is 170% original scale so im thinking 250-320% for fitting my head size

I recently realised why this build seems so difficult for me. alot of the details dont seem to be in the wireframe but in the texture. Ive been trying to see alot of the details in the pep but now I know there not there. Also for some reason the Wireframe isnt symmetircal

One side has folds the other doesnt. Which is bothersome

Also for those interested this is what im trying to make

helmet.jpg

For most the pep is just a base in-which to build on. Most of the detail part are added later. I like to build up parts in paper and/or foam to bring out the above said details.

^
That does sound like the better option. Looking at the in game helmet compared to the pep it seems like (as I was told previously) there are alot of unnecessary folds Ill link a picture with what i mean later on.

Ill see what I can do with judging the folds to use myself

Not sure if im supposed to or allowed to do this... but hey ho im sure someone will mention if im not

Heres a pic of the unfolded helmet.

Untitled_2.jpg

I know its not great quality (but would you really wana download the 14.1mb bmp version??)

I heard the term smooth unfold on the forums not sure what it means but I presumed it means there was no little bitty flaps that are difficult to glue so this is my attempt at it.

Oh and I think i finally found the right scale 240% of original. Only slighter bigger than my head (im allowing for a margin of error and to possibly install some electronics).

Presuming all goes well next pics will be or a cardstock full scale helmet.

Keep your fingers crossed:D

So its been a while since i was able to get on with this. You know life can be an asshat sometimes. I moved and other stuff happened and i lost all my original pep work and my files on hard drive and ARGHHHH. Well enough of that im glad to get back to this.

Ive managed to get back to the point i was at with all my pep stuff printed and ready for assembly on the cardstock now rather than the practise on regular paper. But i have a question about building the pep. Its a little tough to explain in text so made a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgJjAmSldMI&feature=youtu.be

p.s. sorry the sound sucks only got a crappy headset thing

So its been a while since i was able to get on with this. You know life can be an asshat sometimes. I moved and other stuff happened and i lost all my original pep work and my files on hard drive and ARGHHHH. Well enough of that im glad to get back to this.

Ive managed to get back to the point i was at with all my pep stuff printed and ready for assembly on the cardstock now rather than the practise on regular paper. But i have a question about building the pep. Its a little tough to explain in text so made a vid.

p.s. sorry the sound sucks only got a crappy headset thing
I would normally say keep the visor on and cut it out but for that helmet the visor is basically the entire thing, so I think it would probably be fine to just not pep the visor at all... also why is the helmet so elongated in the pep model?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would normally say keep the visor on and cut it out but for that helmet the visor is basically the entire thing, so I think it would probably be fine to just not pep the visor at all... also why is the helmet so elongated in the pep model?

Thanks for the advice.

I didnt really realise it was elongated but i re-ripped and this is what i found.

helmets.jpg

what do you think is it better?

Hey all
I made a normal paper version of my pep but left some of it out (purposely) now this picture shows the pep resting on my head. When its like this I can fit about two thumbs of thickness between the bottom of the pep and my chin (beard not withstanding now I shaved).

20140828_210104.jpg
20140830_165127.jpg
20140830_165209.jpg
20140830_165426.jpg

So my question. Allowing for shrinkage from the resin and inserting foam and such does this seem like the right size. if not are your thinking bigger or smaller? Picture 2 illustrates my concern as im worried its too big. given the gap between my neck and the edge of the pep but this could just be because i bent some pieces back

Many Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back