MK V B Build *WIP* [1st Build][Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyMars

Hello there!

I have finally joined and can stop lurking in the shadows! woohoo!

So through all the posts and creations on here I have been desperate the make my own helmet as its something Ive never done before and it looks alot of fun. Plus as I would like a career in prop making what a great excuse to do some "work".

I decided on a the Mark V B helmet from Reach, but more specifically the Bungie concept as I like the UA attachment.

othervariants-1.jpg

In the time its taken to get validated Ive actually done all the pep work, from the high detailed pep found on the halo pep wiki. Figured if im gonna do it I may as well go nuts :D

Ive also almost finished all the fibreglassing too but I have to contend with the elements of the "great" British weather. Joys of not having a workshop/shed.

Ill show that development when Ive finished it but heres the Pep work!

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

although not evident in the pictures there are a couple of bits where its slightly outta shape but nothing I cant fix with the filler, hopefully :p

good to see that non of the pictures have loaded. Bear with me!

What are you using, I use photobucket

Just simply get the direct link to the image
Copy it
Click on the little tree icon in the quick reply/ edit post in your thread
It will ask you to paste the link so do as it says
Done!

Thanks alot, was using the image attachment but Deviant arts stash didnt want to play ball?...weird so I just jumped onto photobucket with them!

I am very tempted, purple is a fav colour...but might be orange with a purple visor. Depends on what paint Ive got floating around haha.

Man, rock out with the armour being dioxazine purple and have a smoke colour visor! That'd be awesomesauce!

So beat the weather and finished the fibreglassing today!

for the UK guys and girls out there, I used halfords large fibreglass kit for 13 quid. Comes with the basics and enough resin and glass to coat it all on the outside with resin and fibreglass the heck out of it on the inside :D plus I still have alot of cloth left and abit of resin! would have more resin if it didnt mix some of them abit hot and it set on me quicker than I was expecting. Learn by doing and all that!

I would say scrap the crap petrol pump gloves and buy some marigolds or similar, more durable and you have better grip! Oh and a decent mask, safety first :p

btw sorry if some of these pictures are abit blurry, dirty camera phone.

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg

all resined on the outside, there has been some warpage, the worst being the right side (as you look at it) the "ear piece" sunk in abit. Needless to say I wasnt impressed as the glass had set when I had noticed so I couldnt do anything about it. The perfectionist in me wanted to start over, as it looks worse than the picture shows but decided Ill just rebuild it all with body filler.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

It was definitely a pain trying to glass the underside as it was an awkward angle with the brush but i persevered! Obviously that whole is currently tiny but Ill cut it back to a big enough size, leaving abit of a lip so I can hide any foam I build up inside.

Next is smoothing it all out!

Oh and with the attachment ill be building that from scratch at the end as its difficult to get right atm as the helmet will change abit with the detailing and "bondo". Probably build that ouf of foam and find some creative way of attaching it haha

So the weather is a nightmare here and as a result Ive had to make room in a tiny space so I can continue. Benefit being is Im now indoors, hurrah!

Anyhow Ive begun to start the first layer of "bondo" (I "" bondo as here its just known as car filler) filling in the really obvious warps and indents. Just focusing on the top atm as I need to start building out the side that sunk in.

IMG_4600.jpg

as you can see it doesnt go on that smoothly however, sands like a breeze so I can live with it.

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4602.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

im trying to build in the angles with the filler as i go along, makes for far easier sanding!

IMG_4604.jpg

you can see my DSLR has gotten all artsy and blurred out the crap bit, but its the crap bit I wanted to point out! the dome ha got a coat and its all roughly balanced. its now the right earpod (as you look at it) that I need to build out, As the other side is bang on I have good reference, so im slowly working my way down section by section. Ill make sure to get some decent pictures of that as its going to be alot of work and creative fillering!

Just a quick update to let you know where I am at! Ive started to build out the side that sunk in abit, working my way from top to bottom as the top was the point that was the most correct. So Ive got reference as I go along. Good old card and tape is whats helping my fix it :D

IMG_4625.jpg

IMG_4627.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4630.jpg

IMG_4632.jpg

Ive had to stop building out the side until the rotary tool I ordered has arrived, noticed I didnt cut off some bondo during its rubber stage and its stopping progress on that side until its done. I dont fancy spending ages sanding it out to only resharpen the part it surrounds. So tomorrow Im hoping to give whats had bondo a rough sand so I can see any noticeable dips and start smoothing out the front half!

Loving the build so far! Your pep work is very solid and you seem to be cruising right along with this since you are already bondoing. Cant wait to see more!

Not as busy a day as id like but ive begun to sand the top and back of the helmet. The top just needs abit of tidying up, the dark spots are the dips that I need to skim over and fill. The back needs skim over too and a damn good sand with the rotary tool when it arrives. I cant get into all the tight corners with the sanding block im using.

Aside from that, ive started on the front!

IMG_5050.jpg

Originally I wasnt going to build the raised bits above the vents but when it came to levelling it out during the first sand it just made sense, plus it was actually easier than to try and smooth out underneath without raising it, so in they went!

IMG_5051.jpg

the back needs abit more work but atleast it now look round as opposed to jaggered and square haha.

IMG_5048.jpg

Its places like under the ridge and above the ear piece that I cant get to with the sanding blok, so thatll be done with the rotary tool. Same as with the rough bit of bondo in the middle "bump", I did the over side at a cost of damaging the ridge/lip at the top because the block is abit big. So stopped before I damaged it anymore. Though that said, may add to the worn look??

IMG_5046.jpg

The dome is almost complete aside from the details carved in. Still got that damn side to build out...

keep up the good work. its really coming along. wish i could get my pep to come out as well as yours. i for some reason cant get the folds and connections to come out very clean at all. which is why im trying the foam route.

keep up the good work. its really coming along. wish i could get my pep to come out as well as yours. i for some reason cant get the folds and connections to come out very clean at all. which is why im trying the foam route.

Im going the foam route next, that way I can decide which process I prefer for the next build :p Oh and with the pep I took the time to score the lines before folding them, painstaking and dull but was well worth the effort. I also folded everything, even if i knew it was going to be a curve just so i Know all the tabs would stick correctly.

your project is looking good, pep is nice and clean. hope you keep up the good job.

Thanks alot! i hope so too haha alot of time needs to be spent building out the side that sunk in otherwise itll look dodgy. so thatll make it or break it I reckon!

Since the last post, the entire helmet as had a sand and is now pretty smooth, it will get a final sand in wet/dry once everything is all done :D It does look abit patchy but thats from a combination of different types of "bondo" ive used. Originally it was P38 but for £8/9 you barely get anything in the tin and it hardly covered more than the top and abit of the back. So Ive moved on to autcare easy sand filler for £4! which comes with the same, if not slightly more than the P38 does and I actually find it better to use, goes on far smoother!

Oh and my rotary tool arrived! just made my life so much easier! worth the £15 haha

IMG_5055_zps03d7ea70.jpg

The ear pods had presented themselves as a challenge as they were pepped flat. But my ref pic shows it all as one smooth curve/dome so I got abit creative on how to make the different layers.

IMG_5066_zps5fe4b8a4.jpg

I figured a pepsi lid was the ideal size for the inner circle but once I had filled around it and removed it the remaining hole was too big. It did the trick but th perfectionist in me wanted to improve it so after hunting about I found a 10p piece was the ideal size. a stack of them and some chopped up lollypop sticks made the inner mold for me to fill around :D

IMG_5069_zps2352f3ac.jpg

Abit of sanding and some filler for the inner section later and it looks like this! Oh and I carved the lines out with the rotary tool!

IMG_5083_zpscbf1ac34.jpg

Im currently building out the other side that sunk in so hopefully be some more updates on that tomorrow!

hope you like so far!

hey guys

so Christmas and New Year came around alot quicker than I anticipated, thus nothing got done for a while haha. Hope you all had a good holiday?

Not alot to update you on really just that I have now started to build out the side that sunk in. If you look at the pictures you can see the amount of filler Ive had to use to make it level with the otherside. shows how much it really sunk in by considering the otherside was merely a skim coat and nothing more.

Ive had to make myself a rough template of the otherside so I built the different sections in the correct size. Surprisingly its gone alot smoother than I was expecting, this was the one bit since the resin that I have been dreading and so far so good! albeit its still abit rough :p but so is the rest of the helmet atm so alls good!

IMG_5089_zpsb5ee7bd8.jpg

did I mention it was a rough template haha

IMG_5090_zps90c8d716.jpg

the "hole" is roughly 1.5 cm deep. So sunk alot more than I had realised but thatll soon be nothing that a distant nightmare :p

IMG_5094_zps4c19826e.jpg

So I can on track ive gotten myself a list and targets for each day so there will be regular updates from now on hopefully! until then :)

Sorry for the cardinal sin of double posting alot in this thread but cant be helped :(

Anyway Ive finally finished the ear pod and everything is equal :D you cant tell it used to be sunken in, in comparisson to the other side. Very happy with how that came out.

IMG_6007_zpsd6ff34ca.jpg

Now that all the major bondo work is done its just a case of the details. As the "decent" reference pics ive shown all showed the vents on the earpods in darkness ive had to guess what they are supposed to look like

IMG_6010_zps6b0736b9.jpg

The indents on the top ive had to carve back and redo as they were just a shambles and the tape is my guide for the groove that runs around the top, im hoping to cut that in tomorrow but im waiting on a part for my rotary tool to do it.

IMG_6018_zps1878e271.jpg

those bloomin vents at the front came back to haunt me. The round parts were an complete pain to pep so i kinda just stuffed them in there and left them be but now Ive actually had to round them off. A task far easier said then done, but nonetheless ive persevered and won haha

IMG_6011_zps3ff43343.jpg

DISASTER!!! With all the flipping back on forth on the helmet I "discovered" a weak point where the fibreglass never met the card. As a result the card bends in cracking the bondo so ive cut that out ready to be filled back in properly too :p

IMG_6021_zps792a2121.jpg

Finally ive made the attachment out of foam which is currently drying and waiting to be bent into shape which is going to be tomorrows task!

IMG_6016_zps32c9c459.jpg

IMG_6017_zps6c974a1e.jpg

Definitely cannot wait to get some primer on it, just to see where I stand more than anything. with all the patchyness in colour is hard to notice any mistakes....but its not ready just yet so im holding back, much to my dismay haha inner battle with perfection and rushing!

oh id also like to point out my keyboard sucks, not my spelling :p

This is looking good! I like your helmet a lot and the creative ways to solve your problems ahha. Keep up the good work!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back