My Halo reach armor build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan IV

Jr Member
For my first build I decided to make one from halo reach, As seen bellow.
Vanity3_zps3b014e61.png

Helmet: JFO, designed by Ironium Completed

attachment: Hul 1, designed by JTMKadus27 Resined

Chest piece: Reach Torso V3, designed by L3X BLU3R1V3RBondo Stage

Right Shoulder: commando, Unfolded by carpathiavh99Resined

Left Shoulder: Scout Shoulder, Ruze789 Unfold by lganderson Resined

Bicep:Reach Shoulder 2, unfolded by BMcClain Both Completed

Forearm: Reach Forearm, Ruze789 Unfold BenStreeperBondo stage

Hand Plate: Reach Handplate, Ruze789 Both Completed

Cod:Reach_Belt-Cod,By_RoadWarriorResined

Thighs: HD Thigh, ForgedRecalimer_unfold by BMcClainBondo Stage

Shin: reach shin hd Bondo Stage

Boots: reach boot and toe,by acenat and ruzePaint Stage

I first started this build at the end of November. Since then I have spent just about every moment of free time I can working on it. Here are some pics I have taken of my progress thus far.
delete001_zps567df45d.jpg

december033_zpsfdfcec15.jpg

december034_zps65917315.jpg

The helmet is the only piece I have fiber glassed and resined.

december035_zps41f73255.jpg

The one on the left fit me like a glove. That would have been great if I didn't plan to add anything on the inside. The one on the right would have made me look like a bobble head.

december036_zps277aebcb.jpg

The lower portion of this is slightly warped, but I plan to force it into shape before I resin it. Afterwords ill take care of the rest with bondo.

december037_zps907fdf4a.jpg

001_zps2ff2c51d.jpg

After looking at multiple threads I plan to cut out the collar and side piece that circles the arm and replace them with foam, once i have resined and fiber glassed the chest.

002_zps2b427562.jpg

december042_zps82c52cd3.jpg

003_zps6251f85b.jpg

december044_zps3f78060a.jpg

A comparison between my right shoulder and bicep.

december045_zps81d6879a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For the most part I understand the resining and bondo process. Even so I am still hesitant to add bondo to my helmet. Inside it is one layer of fiberglass cloth. This makes the helmet somewhat sturdy but not as strong as I would like. Will adding bondo make it stronger or should I add another layer of fiber glass cloth.

In my opinion, I would rondo the inside to avoid getting poked by the cloth and to make it stronger. If that's not an option then I would add another layer of fiberglass cloth on the inside. I would use bondo for smoothing only, but that's just me. Great progress by the way. ;)

Thanks for the info. Now that i know that I shouldn't rely on the bondo for strength I plan to do another layer of cloth.

only difference between my armour and yours ins colour and chest, even the shoulders ar in the same placement.

I finally feel like the whole idea of building my own reach armor set is not only a dream. Since my last update I have pepped both forearms, thighs, shins and my left shoulder.

haloarmorday2016_zps45273fdd.jpg

haloarmorday2017_zpsbd2702c9.jpg

haloarmorday2020_zps7032ad95.jpg

haloarmorday2021_zps52d116c2.jpg

haloarmorday2019_zpsb266e582.jpg

I don't plan on pepping the cod, hand plates, and boots until I have made my foam ab plate and bought the standard gloves everyone has, along with a pair of boots. One question I have is weather or not I should remove the shoulders and collar on my chest piece before or after resinning and bondo. I plan to replace these with leather/ foam. I am afraid though if I do this at the wrong step in the cycle I will compromise the build and set myself back many many hours. Any advice would be much appreciated. On an ending note here is my armor so far.

haloarmorday2015_zps57cb8169.jpg

Nice helmet work XD. I had the same problem with my jfo helmet. I didn't resize it though. I just drop a thin layer of bondo in it

One question I have been asking myself since I resined my helmet was how exactly I could resin the other pieces without having them become deformed during the process. When I resined the helmet I used a paint bucket to make it keep its shape, sadly that wouldn't work for the other pieces. This led me to turn to my next best solution, improvisation.

haloarmorprojectupdate3003_zps0111fd88.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3004_zpsf2b71e49.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3006_zps3ab62129.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3007_zps3f1c981f.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3008_zpsf665d3ba.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3009_zps4ff5c33f.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3005_zpsb16736c3.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3010_zpsddf5e5df.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3012_zps32f887b2.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3013_zpsf1a4f03a.jpg

I dont know why, but for some reason when I made the stands for both my shoulder pieces I fit them to hold the pieces up side down.

haloarmorprojectupdate3014_zps26b3d4b6.jpg

Sorry for the inconsistency in photo size. I edited them in Photobucket to all be the same size, but for some reason no matter how many ties I re-sized some of them they still decided to come out looking large.

Much to my benefit the improved skeletal system made out of craft sticks worked great. Over the past weekend I was able to resin all of the armor pieces I have made up to this point on the outside. A few of the pieces got the fiberglass treatment on the inside but I was unable to perform this process on them all. Since then I have begun work on the ab section modeled and unfolded by JTM 1997. I only have a few pic because I don't feel like I have changed the appearance of my pieces enough for pictures of there progress to be necessary.

haloarmorupdate3003_zps8aa1f777.jpg

This is the inside of the left thigh that I intend to put in place of the paper in resin. I have made it out of foam floor mat and coated it twice with Plastidip.

haloarmorupdate3004_zps8403f345.jpg

That grainy image above is proof that being stubborn while pepping and not wanting to remake a piece can lead to you wasting perfectly good fiberglass and resin. After much reconsideration I have decided to remake my biceps and in a closing note I may not be able to post a substantial update for a few weeks due to school starting back up and very few opportunities to have a warm environment to resin my armor.

P.S. If anyone has pro tips for photo bucket to keep images from showing up large after being re-sized I would be much inclined to follow them.

Foam foray

Wanting to try my hand at something new I decided that I would make all the foam pieces that my armor will require. After getting started I began to understand just how enjoyable it can be to get a way from he usual pepping. By no means though do I think my skills with the foam are good enough yet that I could construct any essential armor pieces out of it much less a full suit.

day5013_zpsb92f8f67.jpg

day5014_zps2e370a95.jpg

One of the most difficult portions of armor made out of foam I have made is this ab section it has yet to be sprayed with Plastidip but I am very pleased with how it turned out and how it fits.

day5018_zps17527c7d.jpg

If you don't recognize already this is the vent like portion that belongs on the back of the chest piece.

day5017_zpscbe31c6a.jpg

day5012_zps8bffe24d.jpg

day5011_zps851e5e81.jpg

Outside of these few parts I cant see myself using any more foam on this build as it stands currently. Even so I highly recommend those who haven't used foam in a build yet to give it a try.

To start of this post I have my redone Bicep.

pepday4011_zps73774a03.jpg

True to my nature this wasn't the first size I choose when I remade the bicep. I had been a little over zealous and ended up making one that was just about skin tight. After the disappointment was over I went back and made the bicep on the left you can see on the picture above along with its opposite bicep.

pepday4009_zps446536f2.jpg

After searching the "405th date base" I was able to find the collar/Breacher. With the exception of the area that is supposed to hold the gun shells this is a very game accurate model. I do look forward to improvising here though.

pepday4004_zpsef9c48c7.jpg

pepday4005_zps503f2c7b.jpg

pepday4006_zpscae1c3c2.jpg

Probably one of the most time extensive pieces outside of the chest was the cod. With careful planing I only had to make this once. Even so it took me 18 hours from start to finish and pushed my project past the 300 hour:) mark. Later today I plan to make a body form for it to sit on along with the ab and chest plate

pepday4007_zps65719ac9.jpg

pepday4008_zpsafe79ed1.jpg

Last of all on today's post is a picture of one of my pepped boots.

Last edited by a moderator:
One question I have been asking myself since I resined my helmet was how exactly I could resin the other pieces without having them become deformed during the process. When I resined the helmet I used a paint bucket to make it keep its shape, sadly that wouldn't work for the other pieces. This led me to turn to my next best solution, improvisation.

haloarmorprojectupdate3003_zps0111fd88.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3004_zpsf2b71e49.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3006_zps3ab62129.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3007_zps3f1c981f.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3008_zpsf665d3ba.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3009_zps4ff5c33f.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3005_zpsb16736c3.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3010_zpsddf5e5df.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3012_zps32f887b2.jpg

haloarmorprojectupdate3013_zpsf1a4f03a.jpg

I dont know why, but for some reason when I made the stands for both my shoulder pieces I fit them to hold the pieces up side down.

haloarmorprojectupdate3014_zps26b3d4b6.jpg

Sorry for the inconsistency in photo size. I edited them in Photobucket to all be the same size, but for some reason no matter how many ties I re-sized some of them they still decided to come out looking large.

You eating way to much ice cream ;) **
but very nice build. the way to prevent the deformation while the hardening process looks good. ^^

I haven't posted any pics but all those pieces have been resined on the outside and some have been fibber glassed on the inside. Sadly I probably wont be able to work on this project for at least a month. I live in the northern part of Indiana and finding place that are warm and appropriate for bondo products is difficult. Soon as I am able to get some 50 degrees or higher days though I will begin working again.

Love this build. Your just a few steps ahead of my own project, so ill keep an close eye to catch some tips and tricks here before i make a mess out of my suit.
Thanks for the help sofar and can't wait to see the resin/bondo pics. Keep up the good work!

btw, Love the progress overview list in the first post.

This is coming along nicely, sorry to hear about bad weather, maybe spend the time searching for soft parts needed.

After further thought and the nagging thought of not be able to work on my armor I was able to think of a place that I could apply Bondo with out to much of a worry as to my surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back