When I'm not building Iron Man, I build my space observatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuildsByBaz

Sr Member
Hi guys,

Just something that might interest some.

I've been building Iron Man for a few months now (Build thread in sig below), but truth be known, this is a secondary project to my main passion, astrophotography.

I built an observatory in my front yard a few years ago, but at 3 metres in diameter, it just lacked the room to swing a cat. So, for the last couple of years, I've demolished it and have been hard at it building one at five metres in diameter instead.

I have a website dedicated to it, so please, go enjoy the photos and stories of the build!

Sandbagger.

Below: Here's where I'm at currently.

1. Four sheets to go!!
zDn4u.jpg

2. Doors closed. Weather skirt still to be fabricated and assembled between top of wall and bottom of dome.
mX1q5.jpg

3. Nearly fully enclosed.
VfP48.jpg

4. Doors open showing floor space.
X6sAg.jpg

1. Telescope installed - fire extinguisher fitted as priority!
6daHJ.jpg

2. Preliminary calibrating on the moon.
tMVmX.jpg

3. "FIRST LIGHT" through the ASIGN Observatory II telescope! A very quick shot with only the DSLR on the scope, but enough to check the optics.
4MHHF.jpg

4. Crop and different processing of the above.
4vB3d.jpg

Sandman this is just beautifull!!! As a photographer myself I always dreamed of doing astrophotography so seeing this being done by one of our own is great. Like Anna said keep the pics coming :)

Awww, thanks croo. ;)

I just need some time to myself to finish it and get started on the astrophotography proper.

Here's a sample of what has come out of this scope a couple of years ago when I had it in the old observatory.

Horsehead and Flame nebula 2hrs 40min exposure
ARDqH.jpg

M20Trifid Nebula 4 hours 30 min
zDuBH.jpg

Southern Pinwheel galaxy M83
5UoTL.jpg

NGC253 Silver Coin Galaxy in Sculptor_2hr30min
S21fK.jpg

Enjoy the video of this fully armed and operational battle-station!

Last edited by a moderator:
All the cameras and cables installed now. Mount aligned to the planet's axis and ready for imaging. Now to wait for that pesky moon to go away and have a clear night!!

1. The mighty photon hunter!
1VJyS.jpg

2. Looking out to the heavens.
OEuyD.jpg

3. Peering into deep space.
3g7IV.jpg

4. Watchful warrior.
W9sft.jpg

YAY!! Finally imaging again! Clear night, no moon, no clouds and DARK DARK DARK SKY!!! :D Going for Messier 42 - The great Orion Nebula tonight!

I've been out of the deep space imaging game for a couple of years now, so this will be interesting trying to re-learn everything and apply the last two years of regular photography processing skills.

GIHyQ.jpg

The flashing arrived today!! Fabricated perfectly to my measurements and diagrams.
Eu00FEW.jpg

Installing the weather-proof skirt around the dome.
7zNM5a1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back