theBR1T1SHkid's Arc Reactor builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBR1T1SHkid

Jr Member
Hello all
Despite being in the process of making a Reach build I managed to find a couple of weeks to create a custom Arc Reactor that I can wear on my chest. Now before I get a dozen comments and photo comparisons, THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE MOVIE ACCURATE. This is just a fun little project to try and recreate something similar to the movie one using cheap shop items and spare parts from around the house. So here we go

IMG_1990_zpsdf3d48d8.jpg

I had an old torch lying around that I used as the main frame of the reactor. Inside it I put a sink strainer
IMG_1992_zps469fef4d.jpg

I cut out the middle of the sink strainer to make a 'ring' around the outside. Behind that i put a small speaker frame.
IMG_1995_zpsb20ea80e.jpg

Filing down all the rough edges on the inside of the sink strainer ring
IMG_1997_zpsd9259057.jpg

The sink strainer ring, speaker frame and inside ring (made from a small torch end and some painted kebab sticks)
IMG_1998_zps599fa64f.jpg

The reactor before being glued up
IMG_2003_zps4b86a014.jpg

Lights added, checking the shadow it cast from under my shirt; you can faintly see the three spokes and inner ring
IMG_2014_zps8e1230d9.jpg

Three small LED's from a string of ten christmas LED's light up the reactor
IMG_2015_zpsd4a915d4.jpg

Not the best photo, but the reactor with the lights on

So that was that. The reactor was finished. But it looked so lonely sitting there by itself that I decided to make it a friend. Cue Arc Reactor 2.0: not better, just different. This reactor is for a very close friend. She had the final say in all design aspects.

IMG_2019_zps59ebdc95.jpg

This one was to be a six spoked reactor. I used the same style sink strainer ring and inside torch ring. I had to try and make this one thinner while retaining a good level of detail and quality, not an easy task.
IMG_2047_zps38d85dbb.jpg

It was at this point that I had to employ my amazing soldering skills </sarcasm> and shorten the wires
IMG_2056_zps3ec5857c.jpg

Checking the shadow cast, the light under each spoke helped give the shadow some detail
IMG_2057_zps22e9e0fb.jpg

The finished 2.0

Two arc reactors had been finished, but I wasn't finished just yet...

Sorry for the double post

I couldn't stand just looking at them sitting on the table. So i decided to make a couple of stands for them.I made the stand for Arc Reactor 2.0 first

IMG_2073_zps6bfac53e.jpg

The two prongs sit under the reactor. The wires coming out the back are meant to look as if someone ripped out this reactor and placed it on display, almost like some kind of trophy.
IMG_2075_zpsb8bab5d3.jpg

2.0 sitting on the stand
IMG_2076_zpseef853f2.jpg

A side view of 2.0 sitting on the stand

With that out the way, it was time to go back to making the stand for the original arc reactor

IMG_2089_zps1936bdc9.jpg

Half way through the stand. On this one, the prongs slot into two small holes in the back of the reactor
IMG_2109_zps4e6d3b65.jpg

The finished stand with the original arc reactor on it

Photoshoot time!
IMG_2118_zps31beebe6.jpg

IMG_2120_zps9844d513.jpg

IMG_2121_zps39f20c00.jpg

IMG_2123_zps2fea55a3.jpg

And there we go. Two arc reactors and stands for each in less than three weeks. I have a few little things to do to both of them and once I have I will update the thread and send 2.0 to its new home. Don't despair however: I may need an upgrade in the near future
Until then
Live long and prosper

TheMagicNumber and GuitarMaster157: thank you :)
Spartan 122: wow man, that is amazing! If you don't mind me asking, how did you do the lighting on your reactor? The lighting is very evenly spread-you can't see individual LED's

Believe it or not its build from a box of scraps in a cave! just kidding... I used one of these and modified the power input LINK the outer ring is a Rolson Drill Dust Collector, the pylons are made from 5/6mm cable tacks fixed to an acrylic ring then bound with copper speaker wire...

Don't care if these aren't movie accurate...they are awesome! Well done man. Have you thought about maybe adding a piece of frosted plastic in between the LEDs and metal parts? That should help diffuse the lights. Just get a piece of plastic and sand one side of it. Place the rough side down so the smooth side faces you, and it should look the way you want.

Thanks. The acrylic rings are "frosted" and its still as bright as the sun and if I remember its like four rings thick.

Spartan 122 and herotrooper: Thank you both for your help :) when I get some time I will try and add some frosted plastic and see how it turns out, the only problem I can see is that on the six spoke reactor there is about 2mm between the lights and the spokes but I should be able to push the lights a little further back to allow for a thicker piece of plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back