Halo 4 Master Chief Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigbearwayne

Jr Member
So I am starting a master chief foam build. But I was wondering what would be the best foam to use. I already have this foam but am having second guesses on it.

6897CC23-598B-4C83-8B22-BC06C6A7C8EF-358-0000001784E2FEA6.jpg

Please help.

If the other side (the one with no diamond pattern on it) is smooth, then it's probably good enough.

Is it the 10mm thick version by the way? In that case it's probably strong enough for most parts as well, although some pieces may need an extra layer underneath to reinforce them.
Although I've seen people building Iron Man armor with 6mm or 8mm thick versions too so maybe even that is strong enough.

If the other side (the one with no diamond pattern on it) is smooth, then it's probably good enough.

Is it the 10mm thick version by the way? In that case it's probably strong enough for most parts as well, although some pieces may need an extra layer underneath to reinforce them.
Although I've seen people building Iron Man armor with 6mm or 8mm thick versions too so maybe even that is strong enough.

Its a little over that. Its an .5 in thick. Which comes out to be about 12.7mm.

That should still be good enogu, but for the next batch I'd try to get a pack of 10mm sheets.
Although... I wasted quite a few sheets until I considered my skills to be good enough ;)

Oh and maybe you should consider getting craft foam, 2mm and 5mm thick, look at the builds from RoxyRoo, LilTyrant and Bradinator as examples of how to get a lot of detail using foamies.

That should still be good enogu, but for the next batch I'd try to get a pack of 10mm sheets.
Although... I wasted quite a few sheets until I considered my skills to be good enough ;)

Oh and maybe you should consider getting craft foam, 2mm and 5mm thick, look at the builds from RoxyRoo, LilTyrant and Bradinator as examples of how to get a lot of detail using foamies.

Thanks you and will consider.

i suggest the 10mm because it is easier to bend and cut. it is what i am using on my halo 4 foam master chief. also i recommend that you go buy some sheets of craft foam. it works great for doing little details and covering mistakes.

Also i have to ask, are you planning to do this from scratch? (no templates). or from template pepakura files?
I find templates much easier and do recommend you use them but i've done scratch before, it is not nearly as easy but it is very fun (to me) to see what come out.

i suggest the 10mm because it is easier to bend and cut. it is what i am using on my halo 4 foam master chief. also i recommend that you go buy some sheets of craft foam. it works great for doing little details and covering mistakes.

Also i have to ask, are you planning to do this from scratch? (no templates). or from template pepakura files?
I find templates much easier and do recommend you use them but i've done scratch before, it is not nearly as easy but it is very fun (to me) to see what come out.

I do have some craft foam that I am planning on using. I also printed the CoolC foam templates.

That looks to me, like you've got the right foam. As the guys have said 10mm is good, 12.7 that you have is fine but will probs need a little more work to get it to stay in shape as I imagine it'll be pretty resilient.
For consideration I've also used 8mm foam on my iron man suit. It's not as durable but very easy to work with and create details. So if you reinforce that then you'd eliminate the need for foamies.
If you need any help just drop me a pm.
Good luck
~mike

I made a reach chest out of foam the same size as yours (.5")
IMAG0987.jpg

Some things to suggest that you want to have is:
A heat gun (you can get from most hardware stores)
A lot of Exacto blades
A hot knife, you can get from most actual art stores (like Michael's if you have one nearby)
The foam you have looks like it came from walmart and it was like $20, right? If so, check this out:
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

That is the exact foam I used. It only comes with 4 sheets instead of 6, but it has been on sale for 9.99 for a really long time. So you can get 8 sheets for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back