Halo 3 Marine Build and Props [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

deactivyoke

Latest update
I am pretty much done besides some minor work on the under suit. I plan to put some detailed pictures of that up soon.

4311170_orig.jpg

First post

Hello 405th, I honestly think this belongs in the noob thread because I never finished a suit, however I cannot post there because I am an Infantryman now. I guess I have to work even harder on this build. To start this off I am going to finish this build. Last time I ran out of money and before that I ran out of time. Now I have a job, and I also am going to have this done by the Halo 5 launch event. I have plenty of money and time especially for a marine suit.

I do not have that much to show yet but I have a decent amount.

And here are the pictures.

This first picture is the helmet my 'props' and the 'under suit'. Note that neither the helmet or magnum has been finished and I did not make the shirt or wallet.

Photo0205.jpg

This picture is a side view of what I have done with the helmet so far.

Photo0206.jpg

This is the Magnum and its slightly carved glory and my wallet.

Photo0208.jpg

Finally the 'undersuit'. Not that much. I am going for the covenant just attacked while you were in bed look on this marine. Explains why I will just use the T-Shirt and some cargo pants. They are pants not shorts.

Photo0209.jpg

If at any point in time the pictures are not loading that means the host is down. Any how I will hopefully have more done on the helmet by tonight, but I'm not rushing at all. That was one of the biggest faults of last time.

Update for tonight!
All I will have done today will work more tomorrow in between shifts and school.
Photo0210.jpg

Sorry for the double post.... Here is a nice huge update. I went through my old junk and found my Battle Rifle broken in half.

A top down

Photo0211.jpg

Side view of the finished helmet

Photo0212.jpg

Rearview of the Helmet

Photo0213.jpg

Front of the helmet

Photo0214.jpg

A nice shot of the broken rifle.

Photo0216-1.jpg

I plan to use this carving as a model for when I make a new rifle out of styrofoam like I am doing the Magnum

Please note I am making progress at a nice and happy pace. I will work on either the shoulders or torso next. I am not to sure. :)

Please please please tell me what I should do better on if you think I can do better!

cant wait to see how this turns out! your pep work looks really accurate! magnum is coming along nicely as well! :D

Woah! So I have not updated this at all lately. I have done some resin work and I started on a new prop for the costume with a new method.

Okay first posts for the armour since it is delayed.

1990080_orig.jpg

4037718_orig.jpg

7063944_orig.jpg

6124857_orig.jpg

okay on to the new prop. I am working on a second BR55 using wizard of flight's blue prints

Parts nice and sliced

3057140_orig.jpg

On to the assembly

9834290_orig.jpg

Now to finer dettails like these I simply cut out the shapes and then i sliced them in half so i could have it sunken but not that far down.

5198843_orig.jpg

I plan on finishing resin before school starts in 2 weeks but due to a recent surgery I will only be able to work on cosmetic designs of the rifle.
I have most of the leg parts pepped but i have not finished them. I plan on doing that soon.

More frequent pictures and updates can be found on my website/blog cayoke.net

Replies with comments and ideas on how I may improve my methods are welcome.
Replies or comments with any feedback I love even if it is so brutally honest I might upset me. :p

Good method for the Battle Rifle. One slight criticism is that I, personally, would have made a hole or something in the front of the central Styrofoam block before assembly. That way, the barrel would just slide in. And out.

Good method for the Battle Rifle. One slight criticism is that I, personally, would have made a hole or something in the front of the central Styrofoam block before assembly. That way, the barrel would just slide in. And out.

I don't see how I never thought of that. That is a brilliant idea! Gettng a barrel would be much easier if I had done that.

I managed to finish adding resin and fiberglass to the leg pieces.
3767257_orig.jpg

3170299_orig.jpg

7932491_orig.jpg

7175438_orig.jpg

9249214_orig.jpg

Now onto the Battle Rifle.
I started to work on rounding off some of the edges of the rifle.

2407463_orig.jpg

493182_orig.jpg

2362263_orig.jpg

4613383_orig.jpg

4576479_orig.jpg

I guess soon I will have to start working on learning to use bondo. I have never gotten this far on any suit before. Also I plan on redoing the M6 pistol with my new method of construction.

Interesting progression on the battle rifle. Not unlike what I did with my own...

Although I used different materials and incorporated pep for the more complex pieces.

Thanks! I really like how you went about working on your rifle. When I was on the drawing board I planned on finding a way to pep the foregrip
and doing the rest out of foam but I never got around to doing that and instead I decided to just carve it all. It will be a bit confusing because
I am not sure how to proceed after I get the basic shape cut out. I'll surely take a deeper look at your rifle build. Your PDO file will help out aswell
having a good model to look at as I carve.

I worked on adding the indents on the barrel I also added some more rounded edges. This time I needed them smoother so Instead of cutting them I used some 150 grit sand paper which gave me good results. I also used the paper on several other areas that I originally carved. I then used a dremel to add the indents along the rifle. Got some good pictures with the webcam. One more thing thanks to Carpathiavh and his rifle I found more places I needed to smooth out.

Also would any one know if it is possible to use the 1:1 Bondo/Resin ratio to smooth out armour instead of using bondo? I'm worried about messing up with the bondo.

747147_orig.jpg

6644637_orig.jpg

7147785_orig.jpg

9479606_orig.jpg

8051669_orig.jpg

Alright guys I spent the most part of today working with bondo and sanding it down. Apparently I have a tanned neck now. Any ways here are my results. Some of the parts are not 100% smooth, thy have small spots/marks in them so I decided to pass them off as weathering on the armour. I tried removing the marks but I only got rid of some then added new ones. Tell me wat you think. I only have the legs and elbow pads bondoed, and the upper calves are not finished being smoothed they still have their rough shaping on them.

All of them

6559884_orig.jpg

Thing right under shoulder
5220157_orig.jpg

Knee pads, no they are not warped it is at a odd angle
9142617_orig.jpg

Shin Guards, MY favorite out of the group they are so smooth and well shapen they make me proud.
1033077_orig.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on smoothing out the rest of the leg parts then I will begin on the torso, shoulders,or helmet.

Today I can proudly announce I have finished one part. I finished a shin and the other shin is awaiting a nice green coat of paint still. For the bumps in the shin I used some 10x32 3/4" Machine Screws and then I cut them as needed. I am using the nuts that they came with to keep them in place and when I finally get my order of nylon webbing, tension locks, buckles ect I will use the nuts to keep the nylon webbing attached to the shin that way I don't have to use any ugly hotglue on a final part!
Also please note the camera seems to make the green appear darker it is more of a olive color green I would say.

1289711_orig.jpg

The back

570618_orig.jpg

The unfinished one (3Ds camera)
7896215_orig.jpg

The unfinished one back

5164744_orig.jpg

I have a nice coat of bondo on the helmet and I will work on smoothing it more tomorrow. The greaves are coming along, however they have alot of dips in them and I haven't gotten them out yet. I would try and pass it off as weathering but there are alot of them.

3137120_orig.jpg

Alot of work to be done

2457166_orig.jpg

Lost of work for these too

9183009_orig.jpg

3803366_orig.jpg

I like your take on the BR55. What material are you using? it looks like a mixture of plastic panels like expanded PVC and styrofoam.. (I hope, if that's the case, you intend to place reinforce its structure in some way. It's nevertheless very impressive and crafty.
as for the armor pieces, I'd personally smooth them first rather than focus on the weathering now. Round them a bit more, then give 'em a splash of primer to see how you fared with the smoothing and sanding work. If satisfyed, you can start looking into digging some chinks (as in the proverbial chink in the armor, not the racist insult) and holes and chips and so on. Remember that coloring is always the final factor in how good weathering is gonna look, so don't go overboard with the scraping and cutting and so on. Other than that the shins look fine. the idea on how to strap the actual straps on later is crafty. I can see it work perfectly.

Remember that coloring is always the final factor in how good weathering is gonna look, so don't go overboard with the scraping and cutting and so on.

This made me go back and reread tutorials for weathering and over all painting. Thank you. Made me stop and think which was a good thing and it ended up with me redoing my chestplate and a shoulder pad both of which were warped and I was going to accept. I also stopped and bought some diffrent paint aswell.

Huge Update. Every thing is bondoed, smoothed and primed. Some parts are finished and awaiting padding and straps.

3584309_orig.jpg

smoothed out shoulder no detailing on it yet
4484364_orig.jpg

Chest plate bondo and smoothed with a raised center I wil have it done being painted tomorrow.

7384417_orig.jpg

Smaller shoulder pad things painted weathered and detailed. I took a drill bit and got the intinal hoel then I used the dremel to make it more rounded

4908751_orig.jpg

Knee Pads fully done

9937216_orig.jpg

Greaves you can't really see the weatheirng and such due to the glare that my camera seems to just eat up. They look alot better in person

6362971_orig.jpg

I actually did a decent job on painting the torso here. it is not as glossy as the rest...

2893602_orig.jpg

Shoulder painted needed another coat of the Spruce green
1257749_orig.jpg

Side to show off the detailing.

5892676_orig.jpg

I have more progress I have not taken pictures of yet but I will have them up tomorrow.

Looking very good. My only criticism is that you're throwing on the bondo a wee bit thick. It's far, far more economical and time-efficient to apply in small, thin layers rather than blast a huge load onto your piece and then spend hours wasting half of it to sanding it away. You're also more at risk of having your piece look 'lumpy' rather than the smooth, armour-plate finish you're trying to achieve.

Another little tip is to use a razor or bladed instrument to carve away any bondo you've accidentally applied over edges you'll want to look crisp and sharp (such as the lines in your helmet). It's best to do this just after you've applied your bondo, before it cures (imagine using a craft knife to cut slivers from a chunk of soft Play-Doh). This, again, will save you a lot of effort in cleaning up your edges later on, and it'll help you achieve a cleaner, more crisp finish with less effort and wastage.

Just a little something to consider next time: work in smaller batches, and remove any excess before it cures to save yourself some time.

hello. hey I would like to know what thickness to use the sheets on your weapon, Greetings

The sheet in the middle is 1/2" thick and the sheets on the outsides are 1/4" thick. Now that I think about it the gun is fairly thin... I hope I could help!

Just a little something to consider next time: work in smaller batches, and remove any excess before it cures to save yourself some time.

Understand what you mean. I really wasn't sure how to go about using the bondo but I only used half a gallon on my suit, but I guess that maay be excessive. I really thought you wre soupossed to cover the whole thing with bondo? Any how some places I needed the extra thickness so I could carve in details or smooth out areas. As for sanding it I ended up using a angle grinder my friend let me borrow with w 120 grip sanding pad on it. That made life a whole lot easier. I like the idea of using a knife to clean up the edges. I used a dremel with a 80 grit sanding attachment which worked fairly well for the most part though you can see some roundness in some of the areas. Also thank you very much for the tips I'll keep them in mind when I work on my next project.

I have all the parts painted though I am not very happy with the helmet. I will probably end up repainting it. I will try to have pictures up tomorrow.

As for sanding it I ended up using a angle grinder my friend let me borrow with w 120 grip sanding pad on it.

If you're having to resort to using anything heavier than a mouse sander, you're likely putting far, far too much bondo on. Remember: it's OK to not cover the entire helmet with one batch. It's not a race to get it all covered; take your time, be careful. A 2/3mm layer at a time will suffice, and you could probably get away with never having to use anything more powerful than a dremmel. Some builds I've seen were done purely by hand, with the dremmel only coming into play for cutting.

In the end you're wasting product and effort with lumping it on, which transfers into more time spent achieving a smooth finish.

Cereal Killer's Mk VI build features a lot of stuff I would consider absolutely essential reading for anybody. Take an hour or two to read through this thread and watch some of his tutorial videos. I guarantee you'll never bondo the same way again.

Regardless: the best of luck with your continuing build.

Cereal Killer's Mk VI build features a lot of stuff I would consider absolutely essential reading for anybody. Take an hour or two to read through this thread and watch some of his tutorial videos. I guarantee you'll never bondo the same way again.

Thanks a ton. I'm a few pages in and I'v already learned alot more. I couldn't really find a thread for applying the bondo. Though I found some for detailing. I'm going to have to make something to practice on now so I can get the bondo part down! You are the best Arcanine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back