Completed Hardlight Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Hey 405th!!

Thanks to the community's help I was able to select a material and create the hardlight shield. I hope you guys like it!!

P1040215_zpsd47fddb6.jpg

P1040216_zps75d4338e.jpg

P1040219_zps0c17a32f.jpg

P1040220_zps7bfbc2c1.jpg

P1040222_zpsf49012dd.jpg

P1040228_zpsba547fb4.jpg

P1040231_zps0f263d94.jpg

P1040232_zps68e8ee3e.jpg

I'll be posting my Vid on this shortly.

Stay classy 405th!!!

Holy cow! When I saw your previous thread about materials and planning etc. I honestly thought to myself that it'd be just another "good idea" thread. But I am oh so very glad that you proved me wrong! It looks fantastic, seems to function well, and seems perfectly scaled. The EL wire really adds that extra bit of realism, and combined with your scattershot, you'd make one horrific sight to see turning a corner on Haven. Two questions though, firstly, about how much does it weigh? And secondly, how are you currently supporting the shield on your arm? (looks just like a jerryrigged dohicky in pics 5 and 6) Anyhow, keep up the great work, and if people didn't know it before, they sure know now that DocDailey is one awesome propbuilder!

Well done! Came out great. First on the hardlight shield? Is this EL-wire? Definitely gonna watch the vid!

Great stuff! always enjoy seeing your work. Do you have any plans on dispersing light throughout the rest of the shield?

Two questions though, firstly, about how much does it weigh? And secondly, how are you currently supporting the shield on your arm? (looks just like a jerryrigged dohicky in pics 5 and 6) Anyhow, keep up the great work, and if people didn't know it before, they sure know now that DocDailey is one awesome propbuilder!

Kadus,

Thanks alot bud. It weighs about 5-6lbs. I'm using 550 cord as a temporary fastening device. I have armor that I'll be wearing so I need to play it loosy goosy with that part of the build right now. I might build the armor into the shield, but I need to finish more of that first.

Do you have any plans on dispersing light throughout the rest of the shield?

Nope. There is a limitation of the plexi. It can't carry enough light to make a difference.

Why don't stick part of glass on the shield to give more relief ?

It is too heavy on itself to put more on it. Weight is a limiting issue. I thought about doing a MC visor 2 layer deal with this, but it would break under its own weight.

Thanks alot for all the positive comments and support. I'm probably doing to need help with making a proper arm brace for this thing in the near future.....

It looks amazing Doc! btw, did you airbrush the blue? And also, just a little tidbit from me, You should have incorporated 2 stripes of the material they use or the ends of book bags and the click latches for what we use to attach the thighs to out waist pieces.So you can't see it from the outside, but on the inside. Think about it haha

Hey Guys! Thanks for all the drooling!! Here is my vid for it!!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm maybe when you make a proper arm brace you can attach a few LEDs pointed to the plexiglass to add some blue to the center of the sheild?

Hey doc! what thickness of plexiglass id you use? I dont know if you saw my comment on your photo on fb but I think you could get a nice even glow along the whole surface if you used fluorescent acrylic sheet! and i was also thinking about a way to make it able to be held like the spartans do! if you attach transparent velcro to gloves and to the shield you could hold it using the palms of your hand flat against the shield! :D

WOW...i take some time off from the forum, come back and find this!! AMAZING!

Well thanks!!! And welcome back!!

hmmm maybe when you make a proper arm brace you can attach a few LEDs pointed to the plexiglass to add some blue to the center of the sheild?

I'd want to do more LEDs but it's too thin and won't carry the light. I also hate single points of light for an even glow device. Yeah, I also want a proper arm brace, but the weight of the shield and torque the brace would put on it would crack it or make it unbearable to hold with armor on.

Hey doc! what thickness of plexiglass id you use? I dont know if you saw my comment on your photo on fb but I think you could get a nice even glow along the whole surface if you used fluorescent acrylic sheet! and i was also thinking about a way to make it able to be held like the spartans do! if you attach transparent velcro to gloves and to the shield you could hold it using the palms of your hand flat against the shield! :D

Yeah Bud, I saw the link to the pic. I researched using it. The price is WAY too expensive and they don't come in large enough sheets for this purpose. Besides, when you cut it, it would fog the edges and prevent good light absorption. It's like fiber optic cable.....it only carries light along the grain, but just thru it because it's clear. Also, the clear velcro is a great idea, but the weight of the shield and fact that I want to walk around a Con makes it very impractical. Also, even if the velcro hold, the glue might not. Everyone wanted me to go bigger without thinking that plexi has weight and I'd have to carry it for up to 12 hours at a time...

If anyone wants to one up this and make a tutorial vid on how to do it, by all means. By all means.

I'd want to do more LEDs but it's too thin and won't carry the light. I also hate single points of light for an even glow device. Yeah, I also want a proper arm brace, but the weight of the shield and torque the brace would put on it would crack it or make it unbearable to hold with armor on.

Yeah Bud, I saw the link to the pic. I researched using it. The price is WAY too expensive and they don't come in large enough sheets for this purpose. Besides, when you cut it, it would fog the edges and prevent good light absorption. It's like fiber optic cable.....it only carries light along the grain, but just thru it because it's clear. Also, the clear velcro is a great idea, but the weight of the shield and fact that I want to walk around a Con makes it very impractical. Also, even if the velcro hold, the glue might not. Everyone wanted me to go bigger without thinking that plexi has weight and I'd have to carry it for up to 12 hours at a time...

If anyone wants to one up this and make a tutorial vid on how to do it, by all means. By all means.

Yeah i had a feeling it would be expensive, i understand that cutting the edges would cause it to frost the edges :p but actually you can buy special plastic polish which can help smooth the edge back to being practically clear. price is a bummer tho :( yeah I was wondering if itd be too heavy for the velcro, it might be worth looking into it! epoxy glue should hold quite nicely though. I would try this myself! but acrylic is so much more expensive here :( you said you spent $20 on that huge sheet of plexiglass? I looked around and sites that sell in the uk price a sheet that size to almost 4 times as much :(

really wouldnt be a single point of light....im talking about installing the lights on the brace and then having them shine in different directions like a spot light. also wouldnt fine sanding the glass to look more opaque help capture and disperse the light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back