Dracks MK VI Pep Helmet to Clay Sculpt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm I cant really define why it's the expensive stuff but the site I bought it from had a few options and the clay I got was 5 times as expensive as wed clay. As it was a birthday present and my first go at sculpting I thought spare no expense :)

The advantage I found of this over bondo is no sanding (ofc), no toxins so can be done in the house and if a bit isn't quite right its easy to changed it. The only down side is that due to it never drying you have to be really careful not to mark the clay but if you do its easy enough to put it right.

Awesomesauce for the idea regardless! I'll start with finding 10 lbs. or so of the good stuff. Really like the no toxins part. Having an over inquisitive 4 year old explorer is my biggest concern lol :)

brilliant photos congratulations to both : Cool:

Cheers Toja your photos are amazing too. I of course love your Brialeos suit. It is far better then I could ever achieve!

Awesomesauce for the idea regardless! I'll start with finding 10 lbs. or so of the good stuff. Really like the no toxins part. Having an over inquisitive 4 year old explorer is my biggest concern lol :)

One thing I will point out now is although my sculpt looks perfectly smooth it isn't! OK I will be smoothing it out once its ready but it's no easy task. If I put the sculpt under a lamp it will show the imperfections. I could put my Ironman helmet under the same lamp and be happy so don't think that clay is the easy way around this. If you do decide to go for a clay sculpt I would talk to davy on RPF as he has made the most amazing Ironman MK XLII bust sculpt. IM MK XLII

If I ever get round to it I have plans for a sculpt that will incorporate both bondo and sculpting work before the final casting. I must admit I cant believe people don't do it already. Maybe they do and aren't part of a forum. Either way I will share all of my work/findings so others can benefit from it.

Cheers guys :)
Spartan_127 I didn't use numbers cause those things just get in the way when it comes to the smaller pieces and this helmet sure has um. Plus let's face it how often do you really use them anyway.

Er... I attemped my IM without numbers first time because I didn't know about them. The second attempt WITH numbers was 100% better.

So it is with this in my ammo-pouch that I say, "Well done sir!"

Sandbagger.

Er... I attemped my IM without numbers first time because I didn't know about them. The second attempt WITH numbers was 100% better.

So it is with this in my ammo-pouch that I say, "Well done sir!"

Sandbagger.

Lol cheers man. I find it so much easier without them getting in the way (of the tiny bits) and when they are there I don't really use them so may as well save my black ink :)

Update time.

It's been a little while since I could work on my sculpt but its ready for moulding now. Just need to find a day where I can get that done.

IMG_2473_zps49c5782e.jpg

IMG_2474_zpsce270c56.jpg

IMG_2475_zpse8c3a1eb.jpg

IMG_2478_zpsf92e39e2.jpg

IMG_2476_zps14259886.jpg

Uhhh....yeah. That's just plain sick!!! Keep it up Tom. Looking forward to seeing some casts of this beauty! :D

You have well and truly inspired me to try an pep out a helm

Well doing it this way in clay makes it much easier. You can do a little bit here and there when ever where as I found using filler meant finding time to go out the work shop. Plus theres no mess or fumes.

Uhhh....yeah. That's just plain sick!!! Keep it up Tom. Looking forward to seeing some casts of this beauty! :D

Cheers guys glad you like it. Hopefully I will get one side of the mould done tonight.

Pretty slick work there Dracks, love the clean work and progress. Looking forward to the finish and the other peps.

Amazing!! You are CRAZY talented. Can't wait to see the moulding process :) I'd love to learn to do this some day.

PS. I love the furry red carpet LOL

Amazing!! You are CRAZY talented. Can't wait to see the moulding process :) I'd love to learn to do this some day.

PS. I love the furry red carpet LOL

Cheers hun you're not too shabby your self :) I've been loving your build so far.
Ah the giant crazy rug. It looks good but its not comfortable to lie on. Those strands are a bit too thick and coarse, that's what you get from Ebay shopping.

Fantastic job with the sculpting. It looks so perfect.

Cheers Justin. I quite excited to mould it now, with a little nervousness mixed in there too. Thankfully its taken me longer than it should to get here so I've had time to plan how to go about the 2 part mould. I don't want to get it wrong on a clay sculpt cause it could mean disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back