Ravarkian's Foam Noble 6 Build (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravarkian

Jr Member
Ravarkian's Foam SPARTAN-III Build (WIP)

Okay, let's get this show on the road! After months of only lurking on the 405th and researching various armor construction methods I've finally gotten around to starting my first build and decided foam was where it's at. So let's begin.
[Edit] I updated this post to include more information, the files I used and easier access to new updates as I post them, I plan on including more info on the build in future posts in hopes of helping others with their foam armor.

Progress Overview
Update 1: Mark V Helmet
Update 2: HUL/3 Attachment and Duct Tape Dummy - http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39505-Ravarkian-s-Foam-Noble-6-Build-(WIP)/page2
Update 3: Mark V Torso and Ab Plate - http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39505-Ravarkian-s-Foam-Noble-6-Build-(WIP)/page4
Update 4: Mark V Cod
Update 5: Mark V Thighs
Update 6: Hand Plates
Update 7: Mark V Shoulders
Update 8: Mark V Forearms
Update 9: Mark V Boots
Update 10: Nerf MA37 ICWS

MarkVBHelmetCompiled_zps4226fc87.jpg

Update 1: Mark V Helmet - CNM attachment
Here's the first piece, I converted jtm 1997's helmet file to work for the foam and I'm pleased with how well it turned out and the fit is just right. I also really liked the concept art of the Mark V and was sad that the CNM attachment was removed after the beta. But with Satchmo III's unfold of the UA pep file and a little work I was able to recreate the CNM for my helmet!
This helmet took me around 4 days of work to complete and an estimated 30$ worth of materials to complete the foam process. I plan on adding a HUL/3 attachment as well.
And I'm sure you've noticed, but for now I only have a place holder for the visor installed with tape, but I'm working on the real thing and I'll get back to you on that.

Built from 1/2 inch EVA foam tiles I bought at Harbor Freight (trust me, it's in there), I used 2mm, 3mm, and 5mm craft foam sheets for detailing. I used 3M spray adhesive to attach the craft foam pieces to my helmet.

Mark V Pepakura File
http://www.4shared.com/file/YYEKi2Dl/MkV_B__Mark_V_B_Variant_by_jtm.html
Mark V Foam File
http://www.4shared.com/file/r7_CUop5/MkV_B_Helmet_Foam_Stencil.html
UA Attachment Pepakura File
http://www.4shared.com/file/0U7TUkzH/Reach_helmet_mark_V_b__attachm.html

That's all for now, but more to come.

-Ravarkian

Beautiful work. I never would have guessed that was a foam helmet if you hadn't said so. Very clean work.

That is some super clean foam work. I don't see a seam anywhere. If this is your first project I can't wait to see your next. Keep up the good work.

Amazing work man! I hope to be able make my build with the same level of detail. Cant wait to see a finish product!

I was thinking of going with foam, how long did this take you? And where did you research how to use the foam that good?

Wow man! Such a well made foam helmet. It is good to see some one using Roxyroo and LilTyrants method with such success.
Looking forward to seeing this thread grow.

Tom.

Thanks everyone for the comments! I'll have more to show soon, I just need to get a duct tape dummy together.

Swatze - The helmet took me 4 days of consistent work to finish, the EVA foam was the first 2 days and the craft foam took awhile to do since I can't open a window to use my spray adhesive when it's so cold, so that was an estimated 2 days of work when I found the time since I'm basically building the piece twice. I also pepped the same file I used for my helmet to get an idea of the detail and scale I would need, so that took about 2 days as well.

When it came to research I watched any tutorials I could find, all of which can be found here on the forum including the videos made by DB Mike and Drack and looked over Roxyroo and Liltyrant's work as well as many other builds on the 405th to plan my own and how to make it somewhat functional in addition to a custom fit! I'll show you all what I mean by this when the time comes!

I'll have an update on monday.

-Ravarkian

This has made me truely happy. I love to help others to learn how to achieve builds they can be proud of but to be mentioned as a source on such an amazing build makes it all worth it. Glad I could help and wish I could do more foam tutorials but sadly have moved to bondo built suits now so all my tutorials will be based on them. That said I hope I can help those achieve the same level of precision as this with their builds cause this is truely inspirational. Maybe you can pick up where me and Mike left off in doing some vids for the guys here :)

Tom.

As Tom said glad I could be of some use. It makes me real happy to see that watching our tutorials you managed to take away from that and produce some amazing work. Looking forward to the rest of the build.
Mike

Drack and DB Mike - Thanks guys! I wouldn't have even started my foam build if you two hadn't made it look so easy!

Here are the original files I edited to make my helmet, the attachment file took quite a bit of digging to find in the first place so I figured I'd put it in here for anyone who might want it.
The attachment on my helmet was largely scratch built, I only used the bottom piece of the pep file to get the basic shape since it didn't seem very foam friendly.

But here are the files I used.

HD Mark V Helmet
http://www.4shared.com/file/YYEKi2Dl/MkV_B__Mark_V_B_Variant_by_jtm.html

UA Attachment
http://www.4shared.com/file/0U7TUkzH/Reach_helmet_mark_V_b__attachm.html

It''s monday, and as promised I have a few progress updates on my build to show you guys and gals.

HUL-3Compiled_zpsa8415bc7.jpg

Update 2: HUL/3 Attachment
My second foam piece, I scratch built the HUL/3 attachment from 3mm and 5mm craft foam which took me a night of work to complete and since it was made from materials within the helmets budget it didn't cost me any more than what I already had. In the pictures above I have it mounted to my helmet with a rolled up bit of tape for the time being. It didn't come out quite as clean as I wanted it to but I'll have to see how it turns out after hardening and painting.

6b168428-9040-4a61-9a9b-96062c71c01a_zpsf962b677.jpg

Update 2: Duct Tape Dummy
With the help of a family member, I taped myself up one afternoon and stuffed it over the weekend. It took 3 and a half hours to finish taping and took some work to cut and wiggle my way out of it.
For anyone who's thinking of trying a DIY dummy, here's a link to Bamabat's duct tape dummy tutorial.
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/19547-Duct-Tape-Dummy-Tutorial?highlight=duct+tape+dummy

And for those who might be wondering, here's a list of the materials I used to make my dummy.

I bought 6 rolls of duct tape 60 yards in length for 30$ total, but ended up only needing 4 plus some half rolls I already had around the house. I'm 5'10" and rather lanky but this was about the right amount of tape, but if you're not sure about how much you need, buying extra rolls would be a good idea. Wouldn't want to run out half way through!

The clothes I bought for this were 15$ overall. I used a pair of thermal bottoms and a turtleneck, the turtleneck will help me get an idea of where my actual neck will be when I make my armor.

The frame was built using two 6ft lengths of PVC pipe as well as a couple packs of elbow and tee fittings. I also included a neck using a four-way connector in case I want to add a head onto my dummy later. I had to use my heat gun to bend the pipe so it would fit the position I had on the arms since none of my fittings were the right angle for the job.

Lastly, I used 3 body pillows I got at Wal-Mart for 8$ each combined with scrap EVA and craft foam to stuff it. I cut open the body pillows and pulled out the stuffing. Using the foam in tighter areas I cut the foam scraps down to around an inch or less, but left most of the scraps in big chunks for the torso. The foam seemed to make my dummy more solid than using the pillow stuffing alone, less squishy.
I'm debating which was the least fun, getting taped up or stuffing the thing. But this thing is going to pay off in the end and will be a big help later on in my build progress!

This week I'm going to start on the chest armor and will have an update next monday. That's all for this update, but more to come.

-Ravarkian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back