S323's Spartan IV WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update time! Again nothing huge but progress is still progress.

1124132352_zps9971f7e9.jpg

Made a custom cover for my shoes so thy look more like the undersuit "boots"

1124132351_zps97b802d1.jpg

Then I got the XG-89 boots out of the way

1124132353a_zpsf7097dfa.jpg

Made quick work of the handplates

And I'm almost done with the EOD shoulders

1124132352a_zpsad62768f.jpg

1124132352b_zps82c4c287.jpg

1124132353_zpsd4491c4d.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone picture quality, but my camera's down at the moment.:(
Any ways tha... tha... tha... that's all folks.

-Update Time! So yeah, since my last post our house finally sold and my family is in the process of moving.That said most of my building material is now packed away in boxes lol. Anyways I figured I'd get one more update in before our big move after Christmas. So here's all the pieces I've built so far (except for the AR it's not complete yet :D). Let the posing begin.

DSCN2907_zpsb88ba30c.jpg

DSCN2908_zps8cd96c13.jpg

If anyone can tell, that is indeed packing tape holding the bicep piece to my arm (as well as the rest of the arm pieces and ab plates:D)

DSCN2895_zpsa23256dd.jpg

DSCN2914_zps3aed0ec0.jpg

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully I'll have another update before the New Year. In the mean time have a very Merry (and Halo) Christmas!
DSCN2897_zps3238fa95.jpg

only one thing to say, despite being a non-functioning prop please use proper rifle safety and unless meaning to "shoot" keep you finger pff the triggers, otherwise this looks awesome.

only one thing to say, despite being a non-functioning prop please use proper rifle safety and unless meaning to "shoot" keep you finger pff the triggers, otherwise this looks awesome.

Wow, going on 10 years of 4-H Shooting Sports I really should know better by now:(. But in all seriousness I'm glad you noticed my lapse in discipline, I take firearm safety really seriously when I'm on the range. P.S. thanks for the kind words on the build.

On another note I have two questions. Number one does anyone know of some not so noticeable ways to mount your weapon of choice to your armor? I'm looking to make so that it looks something like the picture below.

halo4_5_Regicide_zpse921d6de.jpg

I've seen chefbzd's method on his Reach thread and I'm taking it into consideration, but before I make a final decision I wanted to get as many ideas as possible. So any feedback is much appreciated.

My second question is for the mods and/or people in charge. I was just wondering, now that I'm an infantryman do I need to keep this thread in the noob forum or should it be moved to the creation discussion section?

Till next time, see ya everybody.

Superb job on the the Recruit helmet and chest piece. I really love how this is turning out. I'm still waiting for more people to finish their H4 undersuit so it can give me an idea on how to start mine. Keep it up ~~

Great job with the custom foam armor, it looks great! And as for the weapon mount I think because it's made of foam it wouldn't need to strong of a grip so velcro might work.

Well spartan suits are magnetised so you could try that avenue but something that size and weight would require some pretty full on magnets, the other way which I could think is just have to brackets on the back of your armour that the rifle could just sit in kind of thing. The only issue with that is then you will have two brackets on your back.

Superb job on the the Recruit helmet and chest piece. I really love how this is turning out. I'm still waiting for more people to finish their H4 undersuit so it can give me an idea on how to start mine. Keep it up ~~

Thanks! Your build's looking pretty cool too. I'm probably gonna use your method of foam board for some of the detailing on my helmet if that's cool. If your looking for ideas on the undersuit I think I've got my plan written up on the second page of this thread (minus explanation pictures unfortunately :()

Great job with the custom foam armor, it looks great! And as for the weapon mount I think because it's made of foam it wouldn't need to strong of a grip so velcro might work.

Thanks too. Velcro does seem feasible but I'm not sure how well it would hold the rifle the base of it is a 1"x4" piece of pine wood, plus the tactical flashlight adds a bit of weight too. I'll probably have to do some trial and error with it.

Well spartan suits are magnetised so you could try that avenue but something that size and weight would require some pretty full on magnets, the other way which I could think is just have to brackets on the back of your armour that the rifle could just sit in kind of thing. The only issue with that is then you will have two brackets on your back.

Yeah magnets were my first idea then I read on chefbzd's Reach thread that they tear up the paint when you try and pull the weapon off, since it's seated directly against the paint. The brackets are probably my fall back plan if nothing else works, like you said it'd look kinda weird having two metal pieces sticking out of my back.

For anyone else checking this out, all my stuff is now officially packed up and we're moving today and tomorrow. Hopefully about next week I'll have my stuff unpacked and be back to work on detailing, as well as head over to Kevin's to work on the undersuit. Till next time see ya'll.

So for those of you wondering what's winter is like here in Indiana (and I know some of you are out there :D). Here what's my house is looking like right now.

DSCN2960_zps0ce76fab.jpg

DSCN2961_zps732b340f.jpg

That little patch of grey behind my sister is our mailbox lol.
Anyways roads here are pretty horrible so I won't be able to get to Kevin's to work on the undersuit for a while. In the mean time I'll try and get some work done on the helmet and upload some pictures for everybody.

Great work so far. Really looking forward to seeing your undersuit progress. Is the pattern on that fabric purely cosmetic like a print? Or is it pressed or something i.e 3d, I can't tell due to the material, it looks good though.

And yes so much snow. Thankfully, most of it here in NJ melted away with the subsequent rain we got.

Great work so far. Really looking forward to seeing your undersuit progress. Is the pattern on that fabric purely cosmetic like a print? Or is it pressed or something i.e 3d, I can't tell due to the material, it looks good though.

And yes so much snow. Thankfully, most of it here in NJ melted away with the subsequent rain we got.

Thanks. The pattern on the fabric is actually spray paint. I know it's probably not the most conventional means, but it gets the job done. I apply it by stretching some mesh over the fabric and then spraying over it, like so.

Step 1: Choose piece

DSCN2979_zps73026ebf.jpg

Step 2: Place mesh over the piece.

DSCN2980_zps9f0e3ff6.jpg

Step 3: Spray over mesh and the piece (Not on the carpet like in the picture! :D)

DSCN2984_zps2c8a4dea.jpg

Step 4: Remove mesh and taa daaa, textured undersuit piece.

DSCN2981_zps675f8405.jpg

As promised I got some more work done on the ol' dome piece. I sanded everything down from before and worked on smoothing out the face plate and I guess what would be the "chin". Anyways here's what it's looking like right now.

DSCN2985_zps60ce853c.jpg

DSCN2986_zpsfdc79b1b.jpg

DSCN2987_zps957cb1ef.jpg

That's all for now see ya guys and gals.

Man that is looking pretty cool, I have picked up some great ideas from you on my build.... Keep up the good work bro

Loving the mesh/spray paint technique! This kind of stuff gives me inspiration for when I finally get to making my under suit :)

Man that is looking pretty cool, I have picked up some great ideas from you on my build.... Keep up the good work bro

Thanks man. I'm glad I could help, if ya ever need help with a build or anything just shoot me a pm.

Loving the mesh/spray paint technique! This kind of stuff gives me inspiration for when I finally get to making my under suit :)

EVA thanks too. I'm sure you've heard it enough but your binary rifle is looking absolutely epic.

Got another small update I added another small layer of bondo to the top of the helmet, I haven't smoothed it out yet.

DSCN3005_zps52af6377.jpg

I also started adding some of the finer details to the back of the helmet.

DSCN3004_zps7066f392.jpg

Again thank you for the kind words everybody. I'm getting the feeling people are wanting me to get cracking with the undersuit so I'll try get some progress done soon and some pictures to go with it. In the mean time any critiques and tips are appreciated as well. Till next time see ya.

Alas progress has finally been made! I'm not even going to try and make excuses for why I haven't made any progress in so long (I just got lazy:() Fortunately I finally got around to working on the undersuit again and got all of the chest pieces knocked out. I got the pattern sprayed on, so now all that's left is to sew them together. Sorry that there's not many pictures this time. Feel free to tell me what ya'll think.

DSCN3066_zpsab20ea72.jpg

Oh yeah and for those wondering what the two pieces at the top are. They're the shoulder pieces that will eventually connect the back to the chest.

DSCN3067_zpseec3c0b6.jpg

Till next time.

oooo Looking spiffy :)

Thanks man. I gotta say I thought pepping could be mind numbing, but putting all the pins into those pieces before I sewed them up nearly drove me crazy (to make things worse I forgot any form of music or distraction when I went over to the shop to work on it. Oops:D). Next up on the agenda after sewing he chest together is going to be getting the back pieces cut out and sewn up. Again I always love feedback, so make sure to let me know if I've screwed up at some point, or if there's anything I can improve on. Till next time guys and gals.

Love the work you've put into the tiny details. What kind of spray paint did you use on the undersuit? Is it fabric friendly? Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back