S323's Spartan IV WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got some more progress done on the "brain bucket". Tried out putting up foamy borders and then filling them in with rondo. (I think I saw it in evakura's thread) It seems to work pretty well, but I'll let you guys be the judge of that, so without further adieu here's the pictures.

IMG_20140702_181242_zps1e63af8d.jpg

IMG_20140702_195349_zpsda8a8d4f.jpg

IMG_20140702_203739_zpsf3c8953c.jpg

Also did (you guessed it) more sanding!

IMG_20140702_201532_zpsd89e57c9.jpg

Till next time. See ya everybody.

Looking good :)

Thank you, sir.

I've been a little A.D.D. on the different aspects of the suit I've been working on, so yesterday I spent most of my time working on the assault rifle. Here's the results.

DSCN3642_zpscf553552.jpg

DSCN3641_zps74a6da94.jpg

DSCN3644_zps7952f8b9.jpg

DSCN3643_zps3ff769ba.jpg

DSCN3645_zpsa0eec3c1.jpg

And for anyone wondering where the magazine disappeared to, my dog literally ate it :D

DSCN3647_zps1cdfd1d1.jpg

So yeah, lesson learned: don't leave projects alone with gnawing "puppies".

AR is looking great. :)
lol he is looking at you like "hey thats my toy, why you take it from me" XD

AR is looking great. :)
lol he is looking at you like "hey thats my toy, why you take it from me" XD

Thanks man, the AR has been really fun to work on. And yeah, Cap was real disappointed that I took his "toy" away :D

Awesome job mate, really wanna see how this ends up!

Thank you. I too hope that I can see this through to the end. Despite all the times I've put this project on the shelf, I really want to finish it.

you should make multipul mags for your rifle and have an armory wall.

Who knows maybe I can make some more mags. Side note, I've always wondered how spartans carry all their extra mags into battle. (It's not like they've got molle pouches or anything :D)

As for the project itself just thought I'd give a quick update before I go off to camp for a week. I did some more hand sewing on the front of the undersuit. Here's what it's looking like right now:

DSCN3730_zps8356eb7d.jpg

And here's what it looks like for size comparison:

DSCN3735_zps87e19c25.jpg

Till next week see ya everybody.

I just read through this thread and am really inspired by all the work you've put in. I can't even color inside the lines, but I'm definitely more likely to try now :)

Hello everyone and congats to the poster. Your build looks AMAZING and I think I just found what I've been looking for AGES!! I'm making a Spartan Build myself but I'm kind of dissapointed by how much space there is between the pieces. I don't want it to look empty. I love your idea abou the undersuit. It intesifies the abs and makes you look more of a soldier, you know :p So I was wondering if you could share the file of the undersuit. I would really appreciate it. Good luck on the rest of your build. Thank you!!!

Edit: I mean only if you got it for free on the first place. I didn't mean to sound cheap LOL!

I just read through this thread and am really inspired by all the work you've put in. I can't even color inside the lines, but I'm definitely more likely to try now :)

Thanks, that means a lot to me. This build has been a real test in perseverance to see it through to the end and comments like yours are what help get me through.

Hello everyone and congats to the poster. Your build looks AMAZING and I think I just found what I've been looking for AGES!! I'm making a Spartan Build myself but I'm kind of dissapointed by how much space there is between the pieces. I don't want it to look empty. I love your idea abou the undersuit. It intesifies the abs and makes you look more of a soldier, you know :p So I was wondering if you could share the file of the undersuit. I would really appreciate it. Good luck on the rest of your build. Thank you!!!

Edit: I mean only if you got it for free on the first place. I didn't mean to sound cheap LOL!

Thanks for the compliments. First off I'm going to warn you that the undersuit wasn't really made with just one file, like a pepakura piece or foam build. There's a lot more to the process. If you want I can pm you the details or hopefully I can post a mini tutorial in this thread as to how I make the pieces and put them together. In the mean time here are the templates that I use to make the pieces, all credit for making these goes to spartanx360 who made them. They can also be found in his thread, but as he notes they will need to be scaled to your size.

Front:
UndersuitFrontTemplatejpeg_zps15332222.jpg

Back:
UndersuitBackTemplatejpeg_zpsd5ca3762.jpg

Till next time everybody, see ya.

Re: S323's Spartan IV WIP (Pic Heavy)

Nice Assult rifle, can't waite to see the finished undersuite.

That assualt Rifle turned out great! can't wait to see it painted. Good luck on the undersuit too!

Nice Assult rifle, can't waite to see the finished undersuite.

Thanks guys, the compliments are much appreciated. So I mentioned it to Phoenix918 and I think it's about time I make a "tutorial" of my method of making the undersuit for anybody interested. So buckle yourselves in this will probably be a bumpy ride.

Materials Needed:
-Undersuit Templates posted above
-Lots and lots of reference photos
-Marker
-Scissors
-Hot glue gun and sticks
-Fabric (I have about 4 feet of polyester-acrylic blend. it's basically stretchy fabric. You can buy it in walmart's fabric department)
-Quarter inch thick seating foam
-Thread that matches the color of your fabric
-Sewing pins
-Sewing needle
-A sewing machine (this can be done on a home sewing machine, but I am using a Singer industrial sewing machine)

For this "tutorial" I'll be making the outlined piece in the reference picture below.

UndersuitRef10-1_zpsbb880e9a.jpg

Alrighty, best place to start: Step #1
First off I printed out this template.

UndersuitBackTemplatejpeg_zpsd5ca3762.jpg

Then using the in game reference photos I cut it into the following pieces.

DSCN3801_zpse52ec7fc.jpg

Step #2
Transfer the cut out patterns onto quarter inch seating foam, like so. (if you're wondering what all the arrows are for, it's to tell which way the pieces go. Very handy when trying to figure out which piece goes where. Unfortunately the templates aren't numbered like pepakura :cry)

DSCN3800_zpsbf141096.jpg

Step #3
Cut out the pieces that you want to sew.

DSCN3802_zps816b894e.jpg

Step #4 (Unfortunately I didn't photograph this part. oops)
Trace about an inch or two off of your foam piece onto your fabric. Then cut out two layers of your traced piece.

Step #5
Note that the piece I am making has that little raised "v" in it. This is going to mean we'll have to do some extra steps to make it stay raised. When sewing these pieces, you have a piece of fabric on top that you actually see on the outside. And then you have fabric on the bottom that holds the foam inside (kind of like a sandwich :D). So since we in essence have two layers on this piece: the "v" and the "base". We're going to have to sew a piece of scrap fabric as the bottom of the "v", and then sew the "v" onto the "base".

DSCN3803_zpsa447be29.jpg

Step #6
After you have the foam positioned the way you want it between the two pieces you need to pin it in place so that you have a general shape to sew around on the sewing machine.

DSCN3805_zps39be2b8d.jpg

Step #7
Actually sew the piece. (Sounds easy right? For this step I highly recommend using a presser foot on your sewing machine that is open on one side so that you can sew as close to the foam as possible)

DSCN3807_zpsd1d492a7.jpg

DSCN3808_zps50adf8f7.jpg

(Side note make sure you are removing the pins as you sew, they're not good to get caught in the machine or hit with the needle. Not that I know from experience or anything :rolleyes)

Step #8
Now that we have the "v" shape made it''s time to secure it to the foam "base". Once I have it in the position I want I usually hot glue it so that it isn't moving around while I sew the "base" fabric. So once that is done I pin the "base" fabric together, and then it's off to the sewing machine again.

DSCN3809_zpse611f119.jpg

And if everything works out (fingers crossed). You should come out with a piece that looks some thing like this:

DSCN3810_zpsf63e0c71.jpg

From there you just repeat this process until you have all the pieces made. Then I spray my lighter paint pattern onto the fabric and get to hand sewing all the pieces together.
Well ladies and gents, I hope this was of some help to somebody out there. I know I showed how I paint the pattern onto the fabric somewhere back in this thread. If anybody wants me to elaborate on hand sewing I can do it once I have some more pieces made. Anyways, till next time see ya everyone.

Update Time.
So this is going to be my last post for a while. I'm heading off to college tomorrow, and I'll no longer have access to sewing equipment or room in my dorm to store my "little" Spartan project :) Anyways here are the pictures of the progress I've made.

I finished the front of the undersuit.

DSCN3835_zpsbac48c82.jpg

And began sewing the left shoulder on.

DSCN3836_zps8d87e587.jpg

And here's how it looks on me currently.

DSCN3840_zpsd2259127.jpg

And that's all for now. Thanks to everyone who's commented and encouraged me so far, it's been a great ride. I'll hopefully have something around fall break when I come back, with a little luck maybe sooner. Till next time.

CLEAR!!

paddles_zpsizijr648.jpg

COME ON I'M NOT LETTING THIS BUILD DIE! CLEAR!!

It's.... It's alive. Hey everybody, at long last I am back with progress on my build. When I left for college last year I completely overestimated the amount of times I would be able to get back home and work on my build . Thus the whole thing was put on hold for 9 months. Fortunately summer has once again come, I found a place down in Indy where I can work on my build and now it's time to get back to business. Here's what I've gotten accomplished in the last few days (sorry for the crappy phone pictures, I can no longer borrow my sister's camera):

8C6F4C43-775C-4B9B-93B2-BC26DF359A3A_zpslh7jnybk.jpg

D2DB6CE6-D608-4258-8079-D0272700668F_zpsz5ygeytn.jpg

I also sewed on the neck piece to the spandex I wear underneath the padding. Here's what the whole undersuit looks like right now:

15AA3FA5-159C-4033-8BE4-BA0147F532E9_zpsxhweewpc.jpg

I've still got a lot of work to do, figuring out how to attach the padding to the spandex, but this is all I've got for now. Till next time, stay classy 405th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back