Destiny Scratch Build ~ His / Her Guardian WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
zt4rav6gw9669h8nsa8g.jpg

Sup 405th, welcome to the Destiny triple threat ^_^ a thread about building his and her Guardians.. +1/2 for the minicon. I'm speaking of course about the upcoming game by the good folks at Bungie. Of the player classes we have seen thus far, the Hunter looks the sweetest. It speaks of Assassin's Creed, ODST, Borderlands, and Starship Troopers 3.0 all wrapped into one blunt. Hunters can be easily distinguished in-game by their signature hoods and capes, thin builds, and mostly cloth outfits.

Bungie Senior Graphics Designer Lorraine McLees described the class as a "combination of speed and strength." Hunters were once outlaws who roamed the wastelands and wilderness making their own luck, and their heritage has led to their characteristic traits of bending the rules, combining daring and ingenuity. For Lady K and I it was an instant connection; merging the old and the new has been a goal of ours for some time.

Premise behind this build..

Jess and I had been planning to make new Recon outfits for Halloween. However, when the concept art for Destiny started rolling in, that plan went out the window.. I think the greatest draw for me was the asymmetrical aspect many of the suits embody. It makes me think of Kat's arm, and the unique quality that adds - but applied to the game at large. For her it was the gritty feel and depth of the Worldscape. There is a familiar and dark feel of collapsing high technology, yet also an organic quality that was missing from Halo. All things considered, we're definately hooked.

Rather than wait for the game to come out (then make an appropriate costume off 'official' specs) we decided to make conceptual / composite suits for the day it comes out.. Given that the release is not scheduled until sometime in 2014 - an intermediate solution must be completed sooner.. because "all your Halloween Night are belong to us" lol xD

Additionally, the weekend before Halloween we'll be at TRF. The theme is 1001 Dreams, a fantasy setting we had planned to create Elven attire for. Howerrrver.. since Destiny has provided a race of 'Awakened' (based off Elves and other fanciful noise) we're gonna rock these suits there too, most likely without masks. Further-furthermore, my (4 but very nearly 15 year old) daughter now intends to dress up for that event.. so the situation is escalating quickly - we may well end up with a matched set.

Moving along, the picture below pretty much started the mania:

Guardians.jpg

1. Hunter 2. Warlock 3. Titan

The first two expressions have that subtle asymmetry I mentioned above, and all three hold some aspect we are looking to emulate. The hardest part at this point is defining all the custom pieces, there is a lot of concept art floating around already lol. The bottom line is to create two suits, distinct from any other costume out there, that clearly represent the Destiny Worldscape. So a breakdown between the two (possibly three) outfits will eventually be necessary; but for now I am in manic create mode so we shall condense both costumes into one thread.

Chapter 1 - 'The Awoken Huntress'

The Awoken are a player species in Destiny. They have been described as "exotic, beautiful, and mysterious." In terms of player design, Bungie drew its inspiration for the Awoken from mythological creatures such as elves, vampires, ghosts, and angels. We intend to maximize this theme by using Angelic script instead of Latin, incorporating floral stitching details to edges, and including as much scrimshaw possible with anything metal. Applied to the Hunter Class, the Awoken look like this:

63577_538091759567765_1430758104_n.jpg

Drawing off grace, speed, and mobility - the Hunter class does sacrifice a bit of armor for elegance. The obvious balance is stealth of course, and of the iconic 'tools of the trade', none is more recognizable than the cloak. Bungie has laid out a variety of designs, though ours will most likely be custom. Some examples to draw from:

dest4.jpg

"Ultimately we gravitated towards this mix of science fiction and fantasy because it gave us this freedom. You saw small things like the prevalence of cloth in the game, a lot of characters have capes or cloaks and the combatants have cloth as well. Fantasy brings us this texture that we can wrap around sci-fi, which is really appealing, especially if you're an artist who's just been stuck making straight up space armor for ten years. A bit of cloth is very refreshing." - Joseph Staten, Bungie design director

'Scout Sniper Remix' - according to Lady K

For those who don't know me this image about sums up my crazy personality:

destiny-fan-art.jpg

It speaks of both vitality and apocalypse and the sniper angle is spot on. Realistically a Scout is only as good as her weapons. The following is a composite offering from Bungie:

weapons_2.jpg

Articulating the Huntress:

Helmet - Scalplock (if necessary)
Helmet - Exterior
--> possibly without
Cloak
--> Half length with hood
Undersuit

Regarding the undersuit and general feel, the modern female assassin concept is a nice start; to be used in conjunction with more Halo style armor add ons perhaps. The piece below is entitled "Daughters of Eden":

assassin__s_creed_daughters_of_eden_concept_by_jamietyndall-d5q4aiz.jpg

Electronics suite
Cooling
Torso
Waist
--> Multi-Segmented Belt
Arms
Legs
Weapons
--> Sniper Rifle

EDIT 1: added a definitive break between the his / her segments, created a better structure to develop specific pieces.
--> "Wasteland Hunter" moved to separate entry

EDIT 2: shrunk the following images when we realized they were irrelevant to the class at hand; the coolant system would be acceptable with say the Titan, or a Fallen build, but not within the description of a Hunter.

Diving a bit further into the dynamics of the undersuit is a composite diagram Lady K and I came up with earlier this year. Initially we wanted to rock somewhat pure Halo constructs for Halloween. So the new concept changes the external layers greatly, but the coolant system and undersuit can remain largely the same:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...ntral_cooling_system_by_teslacron-d64icym.jpg

The finished 5-layer surgical diagram for that idea:
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...3__composite_overlay_by_teslacron-d64ib1p.jpg

Edit 3: Added segment, 'the Awoken Huntress'
--> Preparing to add additional segment, 'the Hunter's Apprentice'

-------------------------------------------------

Ok, so that about wraps up the project overview. I'm gonna quit drooling over concept art for now and start fashioning some concept armor we can drool over together lulz. Thanks for reading, feedback is much appreciated, and have an excellent day!! xD

~Cheers~

-Teslacron
-Lady Kobayashi

dude zero is by far the best character from that game, quickly followed by Lilith xD and thank you! we'll be on it like crazy people for the weekend haha..

~Taking a page from Spartan_127, and reserving this space for build updates~

Chapter 2 - The Exo Hunter

'Wasteland Sapper Remix' - according to Tesla

tumblr_mo3g83qA9Z1r2cjnyo1_1280.jpg

The wallpaper above is a great overview to the costume I seek to create. I intend to segment the armor upon the legs a bit more, boots alone won't cut it. Those segments will be the same color as the pants of course, adding a subtle Zero feel.

Breakdown

Several additional images describe what I want my Hunter to look like. The first is a dA helmet entitle MM45:

1003978_582178618489482_1534910046_n.jpg

The design itself is amazing and the helmet is beyond unique. I feel it lends nicely to the gritty verse that is "Destiny". The closed mask design requires optical assistance, something we had considered in a prior GUNGNIR discussion. This will be expounded upon greatly.

Helmet - Scalplock
Helmet - Exterior
Helmet - Electronics suite
--> hd camera feed
--> split angle view screens with brightness adjustment
--> 2 small mag lights incorporated outside the final helmet design

Weapons

Given the helmet / axial structure, my build is more suited to withstand damage than Lady K's; opening the door to CQB operations. As such, the weapons I would like to have are designed for mid to close range, drawing off the following pallet from Bungie:

523451_564521236925490_372521923_n.jpg

I intend to augment firearms with melee weapons, including something like the spears wielded below:

130328145544149.jpg

Another major influence on this build is my actual Assassin Creed WIP, because full length cloaks on powered armor be freakin shmexy!! Additionally, the Wasteland Hunter WIP will have upgraded Tesla XII blades, as opposed to the passive blades on the AC WIP:

creediscreedsmall.jpg

Cloak
--> full length with hood
Undersuit

Cooling
Torso
Waist
Arms
Legs

Chapter 3 - The Siren

'Wasteland Princess Remix' - according to Roslynn

Some months ago, our 4 year old daughter asked for her own armor. Specifically, "a robot suit, so I can fight zombies!!" bwahaha, I couldn't be more proud.. xD So given the fact we are going to TRF this year as a family, she gets her wish. The pics below are a precursor to that, a suit of poptab armor my sis made:

poptab_hulk_by_teslacron-d657bv3.jpg

poptab_samurai__1__by_teslacron-d657b4w.jpg

Roslynn is a big fan of Maya, the Siren from Borderlands 2 (she calls her a "battle Princess" lol); and Mulan, the girl samurai from that Disney movie. So I figure her costume design should incorporate a sword, and something on her hand that lights up (Maya's hand turns blue). If that's not possible a blaster or something else that makes a bunch of noise should work.. haven't quite got it all figured yet..

Maya herself looks like someone that would fit into the Destiny worldscape, so at least we have something to go on:

1248621937503fad0f5b1c9.jpg

Ultimately Roslynn will want the outfit and her hair to be pink so here's a more accurate pic:

Outfit_Maya_Pink_Pandoracorn.jpg

She also wants a tiara (what princess doesn't hahaha), so I will be making something like this to go with it:

3586_product_854087042_4_thumb_large.jpg

Breakdown

Tiara - Silver w/ accents
Hair - Pink and Red highlights
Cloak - Black with [?] lining
Top - Pink with purple trim
--> with either gloves or vembrances
Belt - Leather, with holsters
Bag - Canvas, big enough to hold her netbook
--> probably just use her 'skullanimals' netbook bag as is
Pants -
Shin Armor -
Boots -
Weapons
--> Sword
--> Energy Pistol?

We have plenty of time to expand upon the idea, just wanted to get all the major objectives laid out immediately. The biggest concern is durability, everything we make for her has to be tough as nails lol. Anyway, I think that finally concludes the project overview, thanks for reading!!

I like the WIP so far :3 I like where this is going and can't wait to see if it gets done before Halloween! I'm also working on a Destiny cosplay, but doing a Warlock. I can't wait till the next update of your thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back