CrazedOne's Reach Foam Build (PIC HEAVY) 99% Complete! (Pg 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazedOne1988

Member DIN
S088
It's been a while since I posted anything around here. Last thing I made was my modified Nerf Assault rifle, and thought it was time to try my hand at some armor. I really hope to have this done in time for PAX, and think it's plausible. I've already dove into it prior to making this thread, but am still pretty early on in the build. So let me share with you where I'm at so far!

Here's what I'm shooting for:
Progress_zps60100020.jpg

I made some gauntlets based off a pep file. Put a bit of Plasti-dip just to see how it looks, and am currently filling in gaps.
IMG_0820_zps56e487e7.jpg
IMG_0821_zps6625aa04.jpg
Photoon6-17-13at117AM2_zpsb9d27bbb.jpg
Photoon6-17-13at117AM3_zpsb0ed2f4c.jpg

I'm currently adding detail to the thigh pieces.
Started with taping paper to my thigh and freehand drawing the basic template I would need. Based on Roxy and Lil Tyrants process.
IMG_0824_zps8afd894e.jpg
IMG_0818_zps37cca58d.jpg
IMG_0825_zpscd8d0bb7.jpg

Then using a heat gun, shaped it and connected it all together, using foamies for detail
IMG_0822_zpscea4f836.jpg

They fit pretty well right now, but will need something to keep them on since they fall off when I walk
Photoon6-17-13at115AM_zps11419f0f.jpg
Photoon6-17-13at115AM2_zps0617ce1b.jpg

Once I get the rest of the detail added, I'll probably start on the shins or biceps. The torso seems a bit intimidating right now, but I think I can do it. The helmet is what's scaring me the most...
Update Time!

So I decided to revisit the gauntlets and make them a bit cleaner on the bottom. Still gotta add detail to these.

IMG_0826_zps6aae4ce9.jpg
IMG_0827_zps43a9fcbe.jpg

I also got the cod mostly done. If I have some extra time at the end, I may revisit the front piece. I'm still waiting on the buckle to clip the one end together.

IMG_0830_zpsb71c8a99.jpg
IMG_0835_zps13d94eae.jpg
IMG_0836_zpsd1ce3ca1.jpg

Im currently working on the templates for the shins. Though I'm having a bit of a mental block...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the support guys! Sometimes those foamies are a pain to work with.

I've got 75% of a shin done, with all the parts for the other drawn on foam. But I ran out of hot glue sticks last night and need to pick up more today. I should have both shins done by tomorrow.

And I'm just saying this now, working with hot glue is getting frustrating. It holds together really well, but I really hate that stringy residue that it produces! It's like I'm covered in spiderwebs or something!

I really like this. You are adding some nice detail to it as well. I will keep a eye on this and see how it progresses.

I updated the first post with a progress sheet, and got the shins finished. I'll have pics of those coming up tomorrow.

This is some really great work dude! Pretty inspiring for my own foam build. I tried making a forearm piece myself, but it just seemed like the template file had too many pieces and ended up looking a bit odd. if you don't mind me asking, what files are you using for the bits that you aren't freehanding?

This is some really great work dude! Pretty inspiring for my own foam build. I tried making a forearm piece myself, but it just seemed like the template file had too many pieces and ended up looking a bit odd. if you don't mind me asking, what files are you using for the bits that you aren't freehanding?

Thanks!
I used a foam specific pep file done by Ruze789 and L3X BLU3R1V3R and just moved the pieces around so I had as few parts as possible, then scored along some lines or used a heat gun to bend it and cut other lines if needed. They fit together better if they come from the same piece.
(sorry for the poor quality but I'm running windows on a mac through bootcamp. Cant use "print screen")
image_zpsd3c8309a.jpg

Update Time!

So here are the pics of the shins. I also received my buckles today, so I revisited my cod and finished it up!

image_zpse59bc9ef.jpg
image_zpsa3de2046.jpg
image_zps4d672708.jpg
image_zps5463bb66.jpg
image_zpsb30f386f.jpg
image_zps905955fe.jpg
image_zps6f415eca.jpg
image_zps5c3d3c0e.jpg
Photoon6-27-13at1218AM3_zpsb1348dc5.jpg
Photoon6-27-13at1218AM4_zpsed91f52a.jpg
Photoon6-27-13at1218AM2_zpsf7c21a1f.jpg
Photoon6-27-13at1219AM_zps1d6918b0.jpg

I'm also kinda angry with myself. After taking the pics with the assault rifle, I chipped the resin HUD housing while putting it away. Stupid me!!!!!

Thanks!
I used a foam specific pep file done by Ruze789 and L3X BLU3R1V3R and just moved the pieces around so I had as few parts as possible, then scored along some lines or used a heat gun to bend it and cut other lines if needed. They fit together better if they come from the same piece.
(sorry for the poor quality but I'm running windows on a mac through bootcamp. Cant use "print screen")

Thanks for that dude! I'm on holiday for the next two weeks, but i'll be giving your method a try when I get back and i'll keep you posted on the results :D

Hey no problem dude! I've went through a few versions of the forearms before I got something I liked. Im going to show off these "versions" when the suit is fully built.

Im currently working on the biceps. Went through a few different processes but finally got something to come out right. Still need to make the other bicep tonight, then it's onto the torso! I'll post pics of the biceps once I have them both built.

Update Time!!!

I got the biceps built! Took a few attempts to get it right, and they're still pretty rough, but I'm hoping to clean them up in the detail stage. I also left out the detail on the front since the shoulder pieces will attach there and cover it anyway.
08607c49-a8bc-4c4d-a25c-73b17242b50c_zpsfe2e1c8a.jpg
IMG_0851_zpsc9278a80.jpgIMG_0852_zps0e27c0a5.jpg
Photoon7-4-13at930PM2_zps5086aaba.jpg
Photoon7-4-13at930PM3_zps14e225bb.jpg

All the pieces fit pretty well, but probably need some padding so they dont move around too much. The next step is going to be working on the Torso Template.

I also had a question for you experts out there. I got some elastic to attach the thighs to the cod (elastic and parachute clips). Obviously the elastic will connect to the clip, but how can I attach the elastic to the foam and not have it snap off if it stretches? Would hot glue work or do i need a different method?

I use rivets to attach strapping to armor. Hot glue won't hold, and actually, I wouldn't recommend using elastic webbing from the cod to the thighs either. Instead just use non stretching nylon straps. They hold the thighs much better. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! Would I get these nylon straps at a hobby store? I didnt see any initially which is why I got the elastic.

UPDATE TIME!!!!!

So had a slight hiccup. While building the torso, my computer decided to die on me...(this is posted from my macbook which has no windows partition.) The repair is covered, but it also delays the building process. At this time the torso is about half done. Since I cant continue new pieces until my comp is done, I decided to work on some detailing. I got the forearms pretty much done, just needs to be plasti-dipped and painted!
Photoon7-9-13at737PM_zps27fbde3f.jpg
Photoon7-9-13at738PM2_zpscfbe6a56.jpg
Photoon7-9-13at738PM_zps8077403e.jpg

I also have another question for anyone who can answer. How does one attach the lower portion of the front torso to the main body? You know the piece... Ugh why cant I describe it?

I also have another question for anyone who can answer. How does one attach the lower portion of the front torso to the main body? You know the piece... Ugh why cant I describe it?

I know what part you're talking about. The ab plate. I just used a bit of nylon strapping (again) and hot glued it on the back of the ab plate so it stuck out the top of it a bit then glued the straps that stuck out the top to the inside of the chest.

UPDATE!!!!!!

My computer got all fixed up, and I continued work on the torso. The attachments on the bottom were a bit too big, so I had to trim it down. The overall build is pretty much done, just gotta add the ab plate and add the seals on the sides. That should be done by tuesday.
Photoon7-14-13at1021PM2_zpsdbb2ee1a.jpgPhotoon7-14-13at1021PM3_zps48572c12.jpg
Photoon7-14-13at1021PM5_zps0cf3fb11.jpg
Photoon7-14-13at1029PM2_zps62ff5e39.jpg
Photoon7-14-13at1030PM3_zps4e2067b8.jpg

Once I get this fully built, I'll start on the shoulders! Overall suit is probably half way done!

MINOR UPDATE TIME!!!!

I got the torso fully built and some detail added to the arm seals and ab plate. I also added clips to the top of the thighs to connect to the cod so they down slip when walking. Sometimes I feel like the torso is a bit big, but too late to turn back now if I want to finish in time.
Photoon7-18-13at1221AM_zps09ecc583.jpg
Photoon7-18-13at1221AM2_zps8bb15975.jpg
Photoon7-18-13at1220AM_zps04091a2c.jpgPhotoon7-18-13at1220AM2_zps98e9dd26.jpg

I was going to cut the bottom of the torso and add clips to make it easier to get in and out of, but am not really sure how to go about it. Im afraid once its cut, the clips wont give it a straight connection again. (like the foam will bow out at the cut point). Any tips? I can get in and out of it currently, but it's not easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back