The great Foam Foray

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan IV

Jr Member
After seeing some many great foam builds I cant help but want to attempt one myself. I am still working on my first set of armor by using the bond route. But when I cant work on it due to weather or other circumstances I plan to work on this one. The final product is up for change and color and appearance but here is my initial idea on how I want this set to turn out.

halofoam_zps68e401a5.png

As of now here is what I have done, sadly its not much

pictureuploadday10018_zpsf045a063.jpg

pictureuploadday10030_zpsa0a428d5.jpg

Well I have made a little more progress on my chest piece.

halofoamupload2001_zpsa785884f.jpg

halofoamupload2002_zps523b4b39.jpg

I am really happy on how the back and side recesses turned out flipping the foam has such a great texture on its main side.

halofoamupload2005_zps1b651eab.jpg

halofoamupload2004_zps5dd56f2e.jpg

halofoamupload2003_zps3b824805.jpg

I wish the above photo was brighter but the front of the chest is still pretty bland so I will probably take a better photo when more progress has bee made.

halofoamupload2006_zps20b151e1.jpg

halofoamupload2007_zpscb0857eb.jpg

That is all I have completed so far. Man am I glad foam doesn't take nearly as long as pepping.

looks good so far. im curious what you like better the pep or foam? anyway keep it up ill check up late ron your further progress.

looks good so far. im curious what you like better the pep or foam? anyway keep it up ill check up late ron your further progress.

I think both methods have their advantages but i would suggest to anyone who is just starting to go with foam. It is cheap, very fast to work with in comparison, and making pieces from scratch is a very simple process.

Now for my update

I have not finished yet but i really am only doing detail work on this piece

foamupload3011_zps20cb51aa.jpg

foamupload3012_zps5ef45cf7.jpg

foamupload3013_zps7c17f751.jpg

These slips make it so I can easily get in and out o the armor.

foamupload3004_zpsf0e11e1d.jpg

Great job so far man. It looks super clean and precise. Foam is so great to work with because its easy to modify and it just gives your armor a bit more girth... Which is a nice touch. Can't wait to see the rest XD

Well I have finnaly finished the bulk of the foam work on my chest piece. I latter plan to make an improved neck seal with some other materials and I also plan to begin working on an attachment for it other wise it is ready to be plasti-dippid

I took much deliberation and agonizing but I decided that the chest piece in the state it was in was to large for me. It was plenty broad enough but when looking from my side it was way to large from chest to back. Because of that I took a leap of faith and decided to cut out 3 cm from the sides in order to make it better fit me. Thankfully it would seem it was the right thing to do.

foamupdate4004_zps0ff00f4c.jpg

foamupdate4008_zpse63d2302.jpg

In hindsight I wish I would have taken a before picture so as to better show how big it was on me.

foamupdate4010_zpsc9449cbf.jpg

foamupdate4012_zpse2772bd3.jpg

foamupdate4011_zps7b9b3c03.jpg

by adding the Velcro straps I was able to eliminate a slight gap that the buckles left be hind when buckled together.

foamupdate4013_zpsdabe35ca.jpg

If there are any angles some one would like me to take a pic of please ask. I know when I was building this I leap between countless threads to see how others did it themselves.

You're making great progress with this! The fit of the torso looks spot-on and the quality is very good. Makes me want to dive into a Reach build. Keep it up!

I really like the Velcro thing you did to hide the gap. I might use that in my build when I get to the chest rig. Also what file did you use?

I really like the Velcro thing you did to hide the gap. I might use that in my build when I get to the chest rig. Also what file did you use?

I used the male torso v4 modeled by L3X BLUR1V3R. It is slightly more detailed than V3 and in my opinion easier to do in foam then it would have been if I tried pep for this one.

Because of running camp and other commitments I had to put off working on my foam build for a short while. I have completed some more pieces and plan to upload pics of them some time this week end. For now though here is an awsome camera that I think will work great with my gugnir helmet.

f34e76f6-bbb4-4dd0-b0c9-e0137853e97a_zps1be30679.jpg

I actually found this cam because an ad on youtube showed it, otherwise I would still be searching. Here is were i plan to mount it. I probably will make a caseing for it similar to the in-game one.

gugnirhelm_zpse156f61c.jpg

With this cam you can stream video to your phone in order to view it. Although that is my least favorite option at the moment. I would like to buy a small video screen instead that can be hooked up to a large batter I plan on hiding some where in my suit. Other wise I cant see myself having a long enough battery life for both the phone and camera.

Because of running camp and other commitments I had to put off working on my foam build for a short while. I have completed some more pieces and plan to upload pics of them some time this week end. For now though here is an awsome camera that I think will work great with my gugnir helmet.

f34e76f6-bbb4-4dd0-b0c9-e0137853e97a_zps1be30679.jpg

I actually found this cam because an ad on youtube showed it, otherwise I would still be searching. Here is were i plan to mount it. I probably will make a caseing for it similar to the in-game one.

gugnirhelm_zpse156f61c.jpg

With this cam you can stream video to your phone in order to view it. Although that is my least favorite option at the moment. I would like to buy a small video screen instead that can be hooked up to a large batter I plan on hiding some where in my suit. Other wise I cant see myself having a long enough battery life for both the phone and camera.

I like that idea! You could probably make that look like an attachment extremely easy.

What if you use a GoPro or something. Here's something that could work: http://http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition I think gopros can be used for a direct display view, not sure though.

Over all I have heard many good things about the go pro. My biggest problem with it is I have nowhere were I could mount it in stay game accurate. With the way the Gugnir helmet is setup there would be plenty of space on the inside for the camera. I am afraid that would sacrifice the space necessary for the video screen though. If I am unable to keep the screen at least two to three inches form my eyes they will not be able to make tails or heads of what is going on when its turned on.

Now that I am back into the kick of foam work here is most of what I have got done in the past week

foamupdate4006_zps66cb96b8.jpg

foamupdate4007_zps819d73ee.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures. Although it looks great on my end the black craft foam I have used seems to make it difficult to descern details when viewing it in pictures.

foamupdate4011_zps312115c9.jpg

foamupdate4012_zps87c4c03b.jpg

The left shoulder has been one of the simplest pieces I have made out of foam so far. I am hopping I can add more depth to it when I get it up to the painting stage.

foamupdate4013_zps4acaa4ce.jpg

foamupdate4014_zps6f02d450.jpg

foamupdate4015_zps04c5cb75.jpg

Another prime example of the " Evil " black foam hiding all the details from all who look.

foamupdate4016_zpsc2ee127b.jpg

foamupdate4017_zpsf3d820fc.jpg

Here I am, sub-coming to the irresistible urge to put on each and every piece as I complete them.

foamupdate4018_zps633063f6.jpg

foamupdate4019_zps72e611e7.jpg

I wish I could have taken a pic with this on, but the piece will only stick to the bicep if I glue it on. Now that it has been covered in foamies I would rather avoid that until I have it completely painted.

Next up on my agenda of parts to complete will be my cod piece/belt.

P.S. ( I only noticed after I posted this but I forgot to clarify that I have both the right and left arm pieces completed with the exception of the gloves. The pics above are a hodgepodge of both sides.)

I have other pieces plasti dipped. but the real stunner is my right shoulder which I finnaly got painted. Others will have to wait until my cans of blue paint arrive.

foamupdate5001_zpsf133611e.jpg

foamupdate5002_zps8a95c646.jpg

Expect updates soon and often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back