Halo Wars Mk IV Mjolnir and weapons WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason 078

e44529cd-0cb1-4038-b82b-e4c33a29ac2d_zpsb0fc382a.jpg

My name is Jason, Spartan tag: 078, and this is my build log.

From the first time I saw the X-Box Magazine cover with the trio of Spartans advertising Halo Wars, I fell in love with the armor. Unlike the more refined version of the Reach, CE, 2, and 3 armors, the Mk IV from Halo Wars just looks like a tank wrapped around a person. Even the Halo Legends and Forward Unto Dawn armor just seems too refined to be actual combat armor prior to the advent of the Mk V suits. So, it was this armor I decided to build.

The only problem was that nobody modeled it. There were a couple of files on the pepakura wiki page, but they were not quite the quality I was looking for and/or dead links. So, I had to wait. I asked around, but got little response regarding someone actually making the armor. Then, all the pep wizards were geared to the Forward Unto Dawn/Legends Mk IV.

Now, though, thanks to Rundown and his wonderful commissioned pepakura making, my dream is becoming a reality. Soon, I will have the first (I think) full Mjolnir Powered Assault Armor/Mark IV(H).

d92176eb-bdeb-4dd0-883d-b85468907c6e_zps63d2569e.jpg

What’s the (H) stand for? Well, to separate it from the Mk IV armors seen in Legends and FUD, the (H) stands for Heavy. I figure that, since both are Mk IV, this is a good way to distinguish them from one-another while still keeping within the canon.

So, with armor, I need weapons. I mean, an unarmed Spartan is deadly, but even we prefer our things that go bang in the night. So, I am designing a knife, a pistol, grenades, and a rifle (well, the grenades and rifle will be designed with some assistance). The knife is a Close Quarters Combat Weapon System (Combat Knife) to be worn on the upper left of my chest armor. The pistol is a M6C Personal Defense Weapon System (M6 Magnum sidearm) to be worn by magnetic lock on my right thigh armor. The grenades are M9 High-Explosive Dual-Purpose grenades (Frag Grenades) to be worn in a pair on my left thigh armor. Finally, the rifle will be a MA5B Individual Combat Weapon System (MA5B Assault Rifle) with a magnetic lock on my back. All fitting within the time period of pre-Reach.

My color scheme is going to be green with white striping/detail work (rather than the red from Omega Team in Halo Wars). I’m following my character (see the link in my signature), and he is the leader of Spartan Team White. I’ll include the various other details you see on the model above on my armor (Legendary symbol on the biceps, warning labels, etc.). There will be some differences, though.

I will have a stylized white chess knight on my shoulder, the 405th symbol on the helmet, my number (078) on my left pectoral, and some slight paint details. Each of the characters seem to have a personal symbol on their pauldrons (Alice-130 has a Spartan Eagle on hers, Douglas-042 has a Jolly Roger on his, and Jerome-092 has an Ancient Spartan Helmet). I like the “unit affiliation” crest on the helmet and plan to include the 405th decal on mine. The Spartan Number on the pectoral also seems like a good idea to me, since all Spartans look the same and only they (and Halsey) can tell them apart in armor. Finally, I plan to add some white detail paint similar to that seen on the Halo Legends: The Package armor just to set myself aside from the rest of Omega Team seen on Arcadia (which my character was part of).

I am planning to make the armor out of pepakura. I am planning to use Cereal Kill3r’s videos as a base for my work, but will put a layer of fiberglass on the inside after finishing the detail to add strength to the armor. Some of the details will be made using 1mm sintra cut into layers and attached to the armor (after resining but before detailing). The lights will be a simple LED system, with the helmet light also tied into a fan system. The visor on the helmet will be made with a pair of gold motorcycle visors, with the top one cut down and the edges beveled and smoothed to give it the look of the character model.

Painting it will be done using my professional method. It’s in my blog here, but I’ll detail it better when the time comes. All I will say is that it involved layers and lots of sanding. I’ll use automotive paints and an automotive finish (better look and colors). It will all be finished and then weathered.

The under suit will be made with a leather-look cloth that has the hexagon pattern painted onto it and then sewn in a quilting-fashion over thin pieces of EVA foam. The gloves will be leather gloves with the painted pattern on it and the finger armor (EVA foam) attached to it. The boots will be a pair of army combat boots (the black leather kind) with the outer boot armor made of EVA foam and including an EVA foam sole (to give it the lifted look).

The knife will be made from both sliced sintra and a 3D printed grip and sheath. The reason for the sliced blade is to put a magnet into it for holding it in the sheath (a similar magnet will be included in the sheath). It won’t be sharp and the point will be rounded a little, too.

The pistol, grenades, and assault rifle will all be made using a 3D printer. The pistol will be a test for an upcoming project I am doing and will be completely realistic looking. It will have a working spring-loaded slide, a working slide-lock, working safety (stops the trigger from being pulled), the ejection button will eject the magazine, the trigger will be spring-loaded for a realistic pull, and the magazine will include a faux bullet on the top (when the slide is pulled to the rear, you can see a round in the mag ready to be chambered). I’m also planning to put a sound card/speaker in it to play the Halo pistol fire sound.

The grenades and assault rifle will be made in a similar way. Hey, I was an armorer in the military for 9 years, this is the first time I am actually able to use what I know in the real world. Updates to come.

Update: 01
Equipment: Helmet

8f92a3ce-e396-4fd8-80f7-3e55797852c2_zps883ca8c2.jpg

Well, the helmet model is mostly done. I have omitted some details for security reasons ( :) ).

Over the next month, you’ll be getting sporadic updates on the status of the pepakura models, but mostly you will be seeing updates on the weapons.

To that end, tonight I have begun the 2D version of the pistol and combat knife.

Updates to come.

I look forward to seeing this the armor is awsome looking as well. when you are done with the files will they be made available for use? also if you are good with painting can I pm you some questions I plan on hse some ahtomotive candy pigment colors on my suit but I nead to layer 2 or 3 colors and am not sure how best to do it. also on your leather look cloth for the undersuit I would suggest marine vinyl. I looked around a lot online and I feel it is as close as I have seen to the undersuits. Its what I plan to use for my suit and my wifes. any way I loom forward to seeing your project as jt progresses

Feel free to PM any questions you have. If I cannot answer them, I can point you in the right direction.

As for the undersuit, I am going to use liquid leather spandex in black, then use a spray fade and a hex template to make it gray with black hexes. However, I might just use a suiting-grade leather. I cut my teeth as a Darth Vader costumer, so I am used to low mobility and high head costumes.

Hey Man,
Awesome to see a Mk IV build.
I too am doing a MK IV build, currently I have almost all the pieces ready to be fibreglass, with the exception of the thigh and boot armour.
For the life of me I cant find the thigh or boot armour. User WingedAvian was also doing a build, and he was who a got the armour files from. In his last few updated he showed pics of the thigh he was modelling and it looked amazing, but he has since gone dark.
I absolutely love the backstory you are developing for your suit!
Anyway, good luck, look forward to seeing your progress.

I honestly hope that you can finish this build. I've always loved the look of the mark IV armor. There's been a few users on here that have tried doing this specific build but never finished it. You would be one in a few users to actually make this. Go at it and i hope to see some progress!

+1 sub

Good luck with the Halo wars armor. It does look amazing but I cant say I have ever seen anyone actually e able to get around the proportions of it so they could wear it.

Hey Man,
Awesome to see a Mk IV build.
I too am doing a MK IV build, currently I have almost all the pieces ready to be fibreglass, with the exception of the thigh and boot armour.
For the life of me I cant find the thigh or boot armour. User WingedAvian was also doing a build, and he was who a got the armour files from. In his last few updated he showed pics of the thigh he was modelling and it looked amazing, but he has since gone dark.
I absolutely love the backstory you are developing for your suit!
Anyway, good luck, look forward to seeing your progress.
I ordered the entire suit from Rundown. So, all of the parts will be represented and completely Halo Wars in nature.

The models he is using are the actual in-game model of the armor. I only posted the Alessandro Baldasseroni image above because I just like the look of it. However, the in-game models are slightly different.

As for the backstory, if you click below, you are only seeing the first part. In the second part, he doesn't even get his Mk IV Mjolnir until the end. I plan to build all of the suits he is going to be using in the stories, though. Five suits in total (Wars, Reach, CE, 2/3, 4). I know, I'm not being too ambitious.

I honestly hope that you can finish this build. I've always loved the look of the mark IV armor. There's been a few users on here that have tried doing this specific build but never finished it. You would be one in a few users to actually make this. Go at it and i hope to see some progress!

+1 sub
As I said, it will be a month until I get the pep files as they are still being fabricated and I am still paying for them. However, I am going to finish this. I love the armor too much not to.

Good luck with the Halo wars armor. It does look amazing but I cant say I have ever seen anyone actually e able to get around the proportions of it so they could wear it.
Well, I'm 6'4", broad in the shoulders, relatively muscular, and used to wearing armors that restrict mobility (I was a tin can in the SCA and a Darth Vader costumer). As for the proportions, I can cut down a little here and there and have a couple of tricks planned for the actually wearing of it. All I can say is that it will shock and surprise many people when they see it.

Update: 02
Equipment: Torso

60d42e57-a469-480b-a7ed-51ebf8ad9198_zpsf7ddf9d0.jpg

The torso has been completed, excepting for those details that you don't have the security clearance for. I must say that this is a beautiful model. The level of detail is amazing, and I've already planned where I will cut it for wearing!

Otherwise, I have decided to try my hand at the FUD helmet, just to keep myself busy while I wait for all these files to be created.

More updates to come.

Update: 03
Equipment: Shoulder

Shoulder_zps9c629584.png

The shoulder looks great. There's a little work I'll need to do to spruce it up, but that is classified. I will probably attach it to the bicep armor for wear, but I'll cross that fortified position when I come to it.

----------

Equipment: Waist

Waist_zpsafd7a0ec.png

The waist armor is going to be interesting. I will probably not be making it entirely out of pepakura. It depends on a few different factors, but I may make the majority of it out of layered sintra (around the waist). Either way, I will probably make the butt able to move as I walk and lean, to add a little comfort to the armor.

----------

As I said in the last update, I have begun the FUD helmet (see the link in my signature). I figure, I should get the mistakes out of my system before I starting building my pretty suit.

More updates to come.

Update: 04
Equipment: M6C Personal Defense Weapon System

UNSC_Pistol_Cinematic_zps1f162121.jpg

This is the version of the M6C Magnum that I am building. As you can see, it differs from the Halo 2 Magnum in several ways, but has some similarities to most of the M6 series sidearms. I am going to a blueprint build first, before attempting it in my 3D program. Ultimately, though, this will be printed on a 3D printer.

It will have several features that I am going to incorporate into the model, that I would like to outline here for you. These features will give it a better realism than just a static prop and will make sales of the final product easier. Yes, I am planning on offering this for sale (as well as others when I get them designed).

For the majority of the features, I will be basing the majority of it on a toy army pistol that has the slide snap back whenever you pull the trigger and has a bullet sound. I'll be designing the snap feature around the trigger, but also incorporating a Halo Magnum bullet sound with the trigger pull. Additionally, I'll be installing an LED behind a diffuser for a muzzle flash.

As you can imagine, the slide will move, but it will also include a slide lock on the side. It will be a simple thumb-lever. Behind this, as you can see on the illustration, will be the safety lever. This will actually work and will tie into the battery for the sound/light card (when on safe, it will be in the off position).

On the left side of the pistol will also be the magazine release. It will have a small spring under it for constant pressure on the mag. The magazine will have a faux bullet on it with a sprint under it (so it can be pushed down like an actual magazine). It will also include a small magnet at the top rear. Another magnet will be located inside the magazine well. These magnets will be opposing, so the magazine drops easily (is pushed) when you hit the ejection button.

Well, here is where I am at after 12 hours today working on the draft. Realize this is from scratch with only two known distances. The first is the length of the pistol (26.8 cm) and the other is the size of the bore (0.5").

With those two measurements, I have so far detailed the front of the pistol and the forward half of the side view. Unfortunately, the only thing I wasn't able to get right is the front view of the little spines in the central forward part of the grip. I've also included the cut-out detail on the front of the grip guard.

Note: The light gray on the inside of the guard and trigger, as well as the lighter area around the grip on the above picture, will be painted with plastidip for a better grip and the rubberized look in the picture.

PistolDraft_zps0f5b8ce4.png

I've always been impressed with your attention to detail, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this build progress.

I love the idea of the slide moving with each trigger pull. That pistol will be really cool. I also am really liking what i see on the armor pieces. I cant wait to see all the hidden detail you have planned out. I am subscribed and awaiting more updates with anticipation.

Update: 05

Pistol_zps9899a5e5.png

The side view of the pistol is finished. One thing that I noticed in the detailing is the screw on the iron sight in the rear. That got me to thinking, and I believe I can make it move with the screw (to adjust the rear sight from left to right).

----------

I've always been impressed with your attention to detail, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this build progress.
Thank you. I pride myself on my attention to detail. It is one of the reasons I didn't have a finger torn off by a .50 caliber machine gun slide multiple times. :cool

I love the idea of the slide moving with each trigger pull. That pistol will be really cool. I also am really liking what i see on the armor pieces. I cant wait to see all the hidden detail you have planned out. I am subscribed and awaiting more updates with anticipation.
Thank you. As things get built, you will be seeing more and more. After I get this pistol drafted out, I'll be building the actual 3D model. That will be the interesting part (for the details I mean).

I am actually planning on selling the various weapons I am making once I have the ability to produce them. Though, I'll be making them in differing levels which increase in price as you go. Don't ask how I came up with the levels, but you might recognize them.

Easy - This will just be the kit. The pieces are pulled out of the molds, have the flash trimmed, and are put into a bag. The bag also includes the springs, rods, magnets, and an assemble manual (looks like a military weapon manual). This will be the lowest price and will be sold for little more than the materials cost with some money for maintenance of the tools I'll be using to make it.

Normal - This hardware is installed and the components that need to be glued together are glued together. Otherwise, it requires assembly and does not include the electronics. It comes with magnets (in a separate bag) that you attach to your armor for carrying the pistol.

Heroic - The pistol is completely assembled and has the electronics installed. It comes with a small kit to help install the magnets on your armor.

Legendary - This is the most expensive kit and includes the entire pistol assembled, black-washed, weathered, with electronics installed. It comes in a military-style hard case (I know where to get them for cheap) with manual, an extra magazine, armor installation kit, and a leather holster.

A leather holster is sold separately for the Easy, Normal, and Hard levels of the pistol.

Lol at your levels. I like the pack on the legendary edition. I began thinking about this pistol idea you had, modifying a toy. It made me think how cool it would be to try. to go that route. You definitely inspired me to think about the process of doing that. who knows maybee the gears turning in will bear some fruit later. I might even have to pick up one of those legendary ones you are putting together.

Update: 06

PistolFront_zpsdc81f4fa.png

Okay, I'm jumping the gun and decided to just take it straight to 3D. Here's the barrel and front details. I do plan to take the bore all the way through, but right now I don't have the internals spaced out or anything... so it is just a place-holder.

The program I'm using is Rhino.

----------

Lol at your levels. I like the pack on the legendary edition. I began thinking about this pistol idea you had, modifying a toy. It made me think how cool it would be to try. to go that route. You definitely inspired me to think about the process of doing that. who knows maybee the gears turning in will bear some fruit later. I might even have to pick up one of those legendary ones you are putting together.
Thanks, but I'm not talking about modifying a toy, I'm talking about slowly dissecting it and copying the mechanism inside. The toy will be similar to THE ONE SEEN IN THIS VIDEO. I'm not going to recast it, though. I need to mod it to the size of the rear slide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back