Master Chief Mk VII/Halo 4: First Build [WIP/Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PolyEngineer

Current Update: 25 June 2014

Current Progress:

Helmet- Finished
Chest Piece- RESTARTED (Can't always get it right the first time around!)
Forearms- Finishing elbow pad attachments
Gloves- Armor completed, waiting to sew on honeycomb material before attaching.
All Other Parts- On hold

Original Post:

Hello 405th!

I've been a member for quite some time now. This site has helped so much, so I think it's time to give back!

I'll keep it brief on the text and load this with photos, since that's typically what catches my eye when I browse through threads. If anyone has any suggestions or tips i'd greatly appreciate it. And if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer!

Forearm pieces completed. Detachable elbow pads INW.
IMG_3925.jpg

1-2.jpg

2-3.jpg

Chest piece has been restarted.
IMG_1930.jpg

Gloves.jpg

Laser engraved fabric is turning out nicely.
IMG_3659.jpg
FirstFabricLay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nicely done so far :)
I like the idea of the EVO detail you plan on putting on. Are you planning on using your solor powered light idea for the lights on this build?
+1 to sub :)

Thanks! and yep, This is the one. I may put some kind of a power switch into the circuit. I think the way it's set up, alone, is the lights come on whenever the battery is no longer in "charge" mode when it's receiving sunlight.

Might end up being more complicated then I think it should be (like most things end up being)... who knows. I've got a 9V pack ready to go in case the solar plan fails.

Thanks! and yep, This is the one. I may put some kind of a power switch into the circuit. I think the way it's set up, alone, is the lights come on whenever the battery is no longer in "charge" mode when it's receiving sunlight.

Might end up being more complicated then I think it should be (like most things end up being)... who knows. I've got a 9V pack ready to go in case the solar plan fails.

Well if you leave it the way it is, that could be cool to have the lights turn on automatically when you walk inside or something instead of hitting a switch. At least it looks cool in my head lol. I want to try it now! i guess i should start building my helmet soon lol

Spartan 127 in another thread stated "Less bondo is more"... and he's totally right. Although you may end up wasting unused bondo in each mix, the outcome is so much better when you focus on a small section and either layer or slow-form each part. Although I like how the helmet is turning out, the amount of time I spent sanding and forming bondo nearly makes me want to do the rest of the suit in foam!! Seriously... this helmet has been a work in progress for over a month now... as in no less than an hour a day.... :/

Thanks! I'll be working on the foam tonight. Hopefully i'll have picks up by tomorrow.

ADDED REF PHOTOS:

This was before adding the foam to the bottom half:

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Man! I am loving how clean that turned out, very good job! After my cog build I was thinking about doing halo 4 master chief. After seeing that I think i have my mind made up (lol).

You mind telling me more about how your bondo stage went. Like how many times did you had to rebondo and how did you get it so clean?

wow! super clean job! i know how you feel about the bond stage it takes FOREVER but it is so worth it in the end when your helmet comes out all nice and smooth, keep up the good work!

Man! I am loving how clean that turned out, very good job! After my cog build I was thinking about doing halo 4 master chief. After seeing that I think i have my mind made up (lol).

You mind telling me more about how your bondo stage went. Like how many times did you had to rebondo and how did you get it so clean?

I started with the top of the helmet and then worked my way down with the bondo. I didn't move on until the piece I was on was at least up to par standards. I used a dremel for the tight areas and to add details like the lines on the top and sides, and then 80 grit sand paper to take down any areas that were too high, once anything was just about leveled I moved on to 120 grit. I found using only 80 grit left big gashes that even the primer couldn't fill. The primer that I used was a sandable primer. It lays out much thicker, which means it would "fill" any minor gashes or scratches left over by the 120 grit. I had to lay out at least three layers of bondo on each section to get it right. Also, folding the sandpaper into 4ths or rolling it into a tube helped get some of tight areas. Other than that... it was just patience... lots of patience. There were many times I wanted to settle on something and move on to the next section.. but I kept reminding myself that taking the time to do it right would be worth it in the end. We live in a "now" society, and even I just want to get to the end result ASAP, so sitting down and doing something over again is extremely hard!! Just gotta stick it out.

Like the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Update:!!!

Finished the lower and back half of the helmet with foam. It was my first time dealing with foam, so I made a few mistakes, but everything turned out extremely well. Wondering if the helmet is too small though, it's a bit hard to fit my huge head into it now with the foam. :/

1-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back