Delta's Foam Iron Man Mark 6 WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltalead38

Jr Member
Hey guys!

So it's been a while since I have made a thread on this forum, because I often end up not finishing the costume and the thread quickly becomes a necro...anyways, this time around I will be doing a foam Iron Man Mark 6 (it will be my halloween costume, continuing my personal tradition of making an armor costume for myself for halloween). Unlike my MJOLNIR Mark V, my Halo 2 ODST, and my Reach Trooper attempts, this I will actually follow through with. This is because I already have done quite a bit for it, and have already bought the materials. Anyways, the templates are Stealth's foam edits, and I'm basically following Stealth's Hero Tutorials (thank you, Stealth!). Alright, enough with me blabbering on. Let's get to the build itself.

So, yesterday I got a good deal done. I had purchased all the equipment the day before and had done some scaling and such, so yesterday I was able to get a whole lot done. So far I have completed the neck piece, the chest plate, and part of the ab plate. I also tried doing a helmet, but that didn't work out (the dome-stencil of the helmet doesn't work well for the foam I have, I'm gonna try and get a better set of templates for the helmet...). I threw away the helmet and kept the faceplate (which turned out okay). Anyways, here are some pics!

(I hadn't done the ab plate yet when I was taking the photos, so you won't see the ab plate until next update)

Some of the pieces have crappy gluing. I hope I can smooth this out with some sanding or smoothing over with glue/water mix. Will glue/water mix actually smooth over imperfections? Anyways...

Here are some detailed shots of the chest plate. On the side parts where you have the lower detail, one of the pieces I had to improv, because the template didn't fit when expanded into foam pieces.

IMG_2317.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Detail pieces on sides

IMG_2325.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2326.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Neck piece

IMG_2320.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_2321.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fitting the stuff

IMG_2315.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Overall progress!

IMG_2323.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Okay, so I hope that taking my dremel (sanding wheel) to some of the cruddy gluing will clean it up, OR that sealing the glue with the glue/water mixture will smooth it over a bit. Also, I think the pieces are a little too big, but that is fine. Let me know what you think! And also - after I finish the abs - should I work on the back piece? Or should I do shoulders? Or should I do arms? Which one do you want to see me do first/think is a good progression method?

Keep building, take care and take a dremel!
- Delta

Update!

Update time!

Since my last post, I basically finished the ab plate (minus 2 pieces), and did a bit of test fitting. Now, I'm quite afraid that my ab plate might not be big enough, but rechecking reveals that my chestplate is probably just a little too big. Regardless of this lurking fear, I basically finished assembling the ab. Also, I started to prepare the light-box for my unibeam in the chest plate. I cut out the one included in the chest file, punched some holes in it, and put some aluminium foil in it (I have yet to glue it down). I also added some of the clear plastic that would cover the unibeam. Anyways, here are the pics!

This is what the chest-plate looks like (mostly completed, just no lightbox)

IMG_2334.jpg

And here's an inside shot

IMG_2335.jpg

Here's the splayed-out ab plate on its own (sorry for bad quality)

IMG_2336.jpg

And here's a peek at the inside

IMG_2337.jpg

Ab and chest plate together!

IMG_2338.jpg

Here are a few photos of the so-so lightbox so far (again, questionable quality)

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

And here's what it will look like when it is glued back in!

IMG_2342.jpg

Okay, so there are some photos of my work so far.

Another thing, when I got my craft foam, I had forgotten that the smaller size was "peel and stick", so when I decided on the smaller sized sheets, I actually got "peel and stick"...ugh...also, I hope to order my LEDs some time today, and probably a soldering iron too. Next next next update might have some LEDs installed, but I don't know for sure. I have a LOT of time until halloween...

So comments, questions, suggestions, criticisms and constructive criticisms are all welcome!

- Delta

Quick Update!

Okay, so I got a soldering iron, and was able to use it successfully. Also, my LEDs are now on the way! So hopefully before next thursday I will have my uni-beam lit up (and maybe the helmet if I make it soon). YAY.

Hopefully I'll have another update for you guys by Saturday of this week.

Until then,

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!

- Delta

Last edited by a moderator:
Small Update

Okay guys,

I was gone at a camp for a bit, but once I came back I did a bunch of cutting.

I have now completed cutting out ALL the templates for the legs AND for the arms. The next 3-ish days will be when my LEDs will arrive, then I'll finish the lightbox. Until then I'll probably cut out the templates for the back and try to do the back so I have the torso basically done.

PICS!

Arm pieces

Photoon7-7-13at533PM2.jpg

Leg pieces (so many pages!!!)

Photoon7-7-13at533PM.jpg

Constructive criticism, comments, questions and advice are all welcome!

somebody reply to this...

- Delta

Another update!!!

Okay, sorry for the short time period between posts, but I got some REAL stuff done. I did the GLOVES! And they worked out pretty well (a little tight, but it'll do, probably.) My only fear with these is that it will be an uncomfortable squeeze when adding in an LED circuit board, but I'll have to wait and see (I have all the way until halloween anyways). Once I can go and get more wiring, I'll try to hook up the repulsor glow.

Another thing, I can't really do the fingers yet because my family's printer is not working on a windows XP parallel, so I'm going to try giving it the software via a USB...anyways, here are the pics!

Front and back of gloves:

Photoon7-7-13at900PM5.jpg

Photoon7-7-13at900PM.jpg

Next glove

Photoon7-7-13at900PM4.jpg

Photoon7-7-13at859PM.jpg

Sides of both gloves (haven't added velcro yet)

Photoon7-7-13at900PM2.jpg

Photoon7-7-13at900PM3.jpg

All together now!

Photoon7-7-13at900PM6.jpg

Sorry for grainy photos, was using Photo Booth. Anyways, let me know of any criticisms, comments, advice, suggestions or questions. All are welcome!

- Delta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back