Cortana Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUSTINIAN 117

Something I have been wanting to do for the past few weeks was to make the Cortana data chip seen in the Halo 5 trailer. I based it off of the reference shots as best as I could.

Here is the only decent reference shot out there.
Cortana5_zps76c054fb.jpg

Here is my computer drawing.
CORTANACHIPH5_zpscd4094e7.jpg

I did a test cut out to see if the size was good, and it seemed to be pretty dead on.
102_3929_zpsbfb47689.jpg

Then I modified the files to work with my laser cutter. I cut out all of the parts using various thickness of plastic.
102_3930_zps401e4284.jpg

Then all I had to do was glue the pieces together.
102_3932_zps62f720e1.jpg

102_3933_zps4ff72ad5.jpg

Then I did some minor sanding and primed it.
102_3934_zps47b997d6.jpg

I also did a clear coat, but I will let it dry overnight before the molding begins.

Thanks for looking.

Oh beautiful work! I wish I had access to a laser cutter lol. There seems to be some detail in the center but I don't know if thats MCs hand or what. Any idea how you're going to rig the ball chain up to it? IF it's even attached?

Oh beautiful work! I wish I had access to a laser cutter lol. There seems to be some detail in the center but I don't know if thats MCs hand or what. Any idea how you're going to rig the ball chain up to it? IF it's even attached?
Thank you both. The detail in the center is his hand. I am pretty sure the chain is just wrapped through the center hole.

So I started the mold this morning. I mounted the chip to a piece of plastic, and built a box to go around it.
102_3935_zpsd76d1efa.jpg

I started measure out my silicone.
102_3936_zps9df7f33b.jpg

The silicone I use has excellent properties, but is very thick, and traps a lot of bubbles in it.
102_3936_zps9df7f33b.jpg

So I put this thing together to help me out. It is a vacuum chamber. It is a pressure tank hooked up to a vacuum pump.
102_3938_zpsfb9ea427.jpg

When the pump is turned on, it creates negative pressure, causing the contents to expand. Since air expands faster, the bubbles float to the top, and work their way out of the silicone. It may be a little hard to tell, but I only filled my mixing cup up to 10 oz, which was about a third of the way to the top. Once I turned the pump on, it expanded all the way up to over 28 oz.
102_3939_zpsde7ebd15.jpg

Once it has been degassed, I can start to brush the silicone into all of the details of the chip.
102_3941_zpsd6de6c52.jpg

Then I put the mold back together and poured the rest of the silicone in.
102_3943_zpsaca333e9.jpg

There were a few bubbles still in the silicone after pouring, so I put it back in the chamber to get them out.
102_3942_zpsa82a3694.jpg

Now I just wait for the silicone to cure. Update coming later tonight....

Attachments

• 102_3936_zps9df7f33b.jpg
    102_3936_zps9df7f33b.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 376
we have one of those vacuum chambers too, because we have a shop that makes silicone molds,
you really are a pro bro :p

Oh wow yeah quite a setup you have! Any clue if you will be letting a few of these go? ;) Either way it's looking sweet. It'll complete any Halo fans collection if they get their hands on it! I've always wanted to try to use silicone for certain things like this but I never know where to start. It this process mainly used for small objects or can it be used for larger ones like full helmets/armor?

we have one of those vacuum chambers too, because we have a shop that makes silicone molds,
you really are a pro bro :p
Thank you very much.

Oh wow yeah quite a setup you have! Any clue if you will be letting a few of these go? ;) Either way it's looking sweet. It'll complete any Halo fans collection if they get their hands on it! I've always wanted to try to use silicone for certain things like this but I never know where to start. It this process mainly used for small objects or can it be used for larger ones like full helmets/armor?
Within the next week I will probably let a few of these go. This style block mold is usually used for smaller scale prop. Helmets are mostly done with brush on silicone, as it uses less material. But they both pretty much work the same way. I use this style for all of my weapons.

The mold was a success!
102_3944_zpsb68109ab.jpg

Here is the first casting. The mold was dusted with silver powder.
102_3948_zpsf7b8ecad.jpg

102_3949_zps85907958.jpg

And I also did a test to see how it would work with pewter. The one on the left is the original, and the one on the right is pewter.
102_3946_zps16c3ebf5.jpg

Overall I am very pleased. But I want to try to get the metal to fill out all of the details better. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have it figured out. Also, I will try to get picture that are in better focus. Thanks for looking.

Vac chambers are usually pretty cost prohibitive for most people, at least from what I've seen at least.

Did you make yours by yourself or was it purchased somewhere?

I still have a long way to go before I'll ever be able to start molding and casting my own items, but I appreciate you sharing this stuff because I'll reference it later down the road!

they look awesome. youve inspired me to give it a shot with molding!
Go ahead! It's a very fun process.

When are you putting these in the classified section?
Hopefully by mid week I will have them available. I am still doing some R&D to get these perfect.

Vac chambers are usually pretty cost prohibitive for most people, at least from what I've seen at least.

Did you make yours by yourself or was it purchased somewhere?

I still have a long way to go before I'll ever be able to start molding and casting my own items, but I appreciate you sharing this stuff because I'll reference it later down the road!
I actually built mine. I got most of the parts from Harbor Freight, and did some modifications. It cost about $250.00 for the entire set up. If I get a chance, I may do a tutorial. But this was very cost effective, compared to the professional ones.
Making molds is something you just need to dive right into. The best way to learn is to try it. The more prep work that you put into a mold, the better it will come out. But it is an expensive process, and you should be prepared to throw out a lot of failed attempts.

Update time!

So the pictures I have, don't show the details as well as I would like. The pewter cast ones do not pick up the detail as well as the resin ones. I have ordered another kind of silicone, and hopefully it will work better. I was using a very hard silicone, and softer silicones are supposed to help with casting better details with metals.

I have also put together another model.
102_3950_zpsad4c9c22.jpg

Now I will be able to offer either version of Cortana. It is ready to be molded, I just have to wait for more silicone to get here.

My materials will be here on Monday, so hopefully by Tuesday morning I will know if the metal will work or not. Either way I will also be offering them as cold cast resin. And I also have another surprise, but that will have to wait....

what should be done too with the helmet if you made one is make a spring loaded door on the back so you can reach up an insert the chip into the door like Master Chief. Im sure there is enough room in these helmets.

Thank you guys.

Got the new silicone in yesterday, and made a mold for the Halo 3 version. It came out great! I also learned how to use cold cast resin. It looks better than just dusting the mold with silver powder.
102_3974_zpsceac52c7.jpg

I did a few tests with the pewter, and it has pretty much the same results as the old silicone. So I will just keep both molds. They both yield great results with resin, and good results with the pewter.
102_3965_zps230e57b5.jpg

I also used a acid to oxidize the surface of the metal ones. It turns them black and dirty.
102_3966_zps443a3165.jpg

Then I use steel wool to buff them. It really highlights the details.
102_3967_zps3cc6b82e.jpg

I also got a handful of blank dog tags that I can engrave.
102_3972_zpsfc30fb39.jpg

102_3973_zps93ec8733.jpg

And I couldn't resist taking this shot.
102_3969_zps094d5efa.jpg

Hopefully later tonight I will have these up in the classifieds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back