RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Thanks guys. Most of the extra work involved is for the darned edge numbers. Assuming you start with a model that's already unfolded well (i.e. no conflicting cut lines) and already sized (which it should have been if you were cutting by hand) then there really aren't many steps to the process and after you've done it a couple times it goes a lot quicker. Without Edge IDs, I can get one whole page of parts scored and cut in just a couple of minutes.

I like the idea of step numbers and time indexes and will start on that right now. I don't know if it's possible to hyperlink to specific time indexes of a YouTube video. If anybody knows, tell me and I'll see about setting that up. For now, I'll simple add a "chapter" listing in the thread's first post. Thanks for the suggestion.

Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

Thanks guys. Most of the extra work involved is for the darned edge numbers. Assuming you start with a model that's already unfolded well (i.e. no conflicting cut lines) and already sized (which it should have been if you were cutting by hand) then there really aren't many steps to the process and after you've done it a couple times it goes a lot quicker. Without Edge IDs, I can get one whole page of parts scored and cut in just a couple of minutes.

I like the idea of step numbers and time indexes and will start on that right now. I don't know if it's possible to hyperlink to specific time indexes of a YouTube video. If anybody knows, tell me and I'll see about setting that up. For now, I'll simple add a "chapter" listing in the thread's first post. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's easy. Just type the time signature in the video and it will automatically hyperlink it. For example, say section 1 starts at 1 minute you would just write:

Section 1 - <description of section 1> - 1:00

And then the 1:00 will become a hyperlink and automatically jump to 1:00 in the video when you click it.

- Gray

If you're referring to a hyperlink within the video, such as chapter markers, I really don't want to do that. Besides, that would mean repeating the export/upload steps. If you're referring to a URL link in a forum post, I'm afraid your example isn't making sense to me. I'm almost done updating the video thread with time indexes.

I was saying in the video description on YouTube, just list them all out like that and it will automatically hyperlink them to that time stamp in the video. If you want to hyperlink them outside of YouTube, then you can do that too. Go to your video and near the top of the description box you should see a button called "share" click that and then check the box by "start at" and then type in your time stamp and it will give you the link to start at that time.

- Gray

Great! I'll try that out and update the time index summary I just finished adding to the video thread. I think for YouTubers they can just watch the video or skim to a section of interest. But the for 405th thread I can see how it could be referred to later for specific topics so I'll add the hyperlinks only in the video thread. Thanks for the tip!

It would be really nice to be able to go directly to the step you want in the video. You could add a section under the description with the title of each step and a tag for the time it starts so someone could click that tag and go directly to the step they want to view.

This is now implemented in the 405th posting. I'd prefer to keep the YouTube description brief for the broader non-405th viewers. Thanks for the feedback, and thanks Termhn for explaining how to create indexed links.

Last edited by a moderator:

nice pep builds, and with sutch detail. Can't wait to see more of this.

You might have even convinced me to buy the Cameo.

Thanks. Just wait till you see what's cooking right now....

Ok read the whole post I think im going buy a cameo time to go shopping lol

Well now I want a cameo, but I have no money for it. Thanks a lot. But I thought it was a really great tutorial, nice and slow paced. If only I had one to do Sirpalesalot's files but Im gonna have to stick with scissors.

Yeah, it was on sale locally so I picked one up.

Well now I want a cameo, but I have no money for it. Thanks a lot. But I thought it was a really great tutorial, nice and slow paced. If only I had one to do Sirpalesalot's files but Im gonna have to stick with scissors.

His models are what I'm working on right now, enhanced even further with better detailing than what you guys have seen yet. Currently unfolding them for the Cameo.

His models are what I'm working on right now, enhanced even further with better detailing than what you guys have seen yet. Currently unfolding them for the Cameo.

Thats a question I had, how different is the unfold for the cameo than just a normal unfold? Is it just the flap and faces placement you mentioned in the video or is there some other way to it?

You can't have any conflicting cut lines before exporting the DXF files. Otherwise, some of the cut lines can end up missing in the exported files, and worse - if overlapping cut lines end up in Silhouette Studio as true overlapping cut lines, then they will cut into each other and screw up the part. A "normal" unfold often has flaps interacting with faces which isn't a problem when printing and cutting by hand, but in Silhouette Studio none of the cut vectors should be overlapping (and that's assuming all the vectors make it from Pepakura to Silhouette Studio - I've experienced randomly dropped vectors during DXF export when cut lines overlap).

The models I'm working on aren't the same ones that have already been released. These ones have ALL the in-game details on them.

You can't have any conflicting cut lines before exporting the DXF files. Otherwise, some of the cut lines can end up missing in the exported files, and worse - if overlapping cut lines end up in Silhouette Studio as true overlapping cut lines, then they will cut into each other and screw up the part. A "normal" unfold often has flaps interacting with faces which isn't a problem when printing and cutting by hand, but in Silhouette Studio none of the cut vectors should be overlapping (and that's assuming all the vectors make it from Pepakura to Silhouette Studio - I've experienced randomly dropped vectors during DXF export when cut lines overlap).

The models I'm working on aren't the same ones that have already been released. These ones have ALL the in-game details on them.

Ah I have gone through a few of the files I have done and did the same a while ago, but not so religiously. I know it was a pain to do though. I know thats why im so exctited for them to be released. It will be a pain to cut out and glue but when finished it will look so good!

A pain for you maybe. :D Me, well, I won't be scoring or cutting the parts now that I've got the Cameo doing the most tedious part of pepping for me.

A pain for you maybe. :D Me, well, I won't be scoring or cutting the parts now that I've got the Cameo doing the most tedious part of pepping for me.

If only it didnt cost $300 dollars! Perhaps someday when I have actual money to toss around. God forbid I loose all the files ive been collecting, about 1.23 GB XD

If only it didnt cost $300 dollars! Perhaps someday when I have actual money to toss around. God forbid I loose all the files ive been collecting, about 1.23 GB XD

300 isn't that bad, If I would need to buy something like this I could easily get it with just cutting on snacks or soda.

Oh hey, looks like this thing is only around $150-$300, I might have to pick one up for myself.
....and I'm only making foam templates haha.

Actually, should be good for the HD custom helmet I'm currently trying to model up ;)
It's not going quite as well as I would like. I've decided I hate Blender with a fiery passion.
I need to put Lightwave3D, Rhino, and maybe Maya onto my new laptop. Hopefully all my 32-bit installs will work for Windows 8.

RobotChicken
Are there any particular models/versions of the Cameo that we should look for or ones we should avoid?

Last edited by a moderator:

You should be able to use the Cameo to cut out foam templates just as easily as "normal" pep parts. Assuming you're using a Pepakura model to create your templates from, simply export them without the flaps. (And if you cut the templates onto label paper or cheap shelving paper then you'll have an adhesive backing for affixing them to the foam.)

The Silhouette web site lists only the Cameo model ($299.99) and the Portrait model ($179.99). There are probably older versions of these, and other (even older) discontinued models floating around used products sales. As I understand it, both the Cameo and the Portrait are functional with Silhouette Studio using both cutting blades and sketch pens, with the main difference being maximum cutting width (12" for the Cameo versus 8" for the Portrait).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back