RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

This is just a test to see if something will work....

file-archive.php?do=file&action=screenshot&screenshotid=2398&d=1420528580.png

Edit: Yippee - it's working!

Major kudos to SirPalesAlot for building such an incredible model!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: RobotChicken's Halo 3 Mk VI Master Chief, Ultra Detail, First Build WIP (many pic

This is just a test to see if something will work....

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...gkTbwM/w1060-h1212-no/H3+Mk+VI+UD+Forearm.gif

Edit: Yippee - it's working!

Major kudos to SirPalesAlot for building such an incredible model!

I dont suppose SirPalesAlot has kept the 3D print part for the inner arm piece like the last file set? I would feel much more confident about this build with it.

I dont suppose SirPalesAlot has kept the 3D print part for the inner arm piece like the last file set? I would feel much more confident about this build with it.

There are nearly 30 different files for the new forearm details. (That's what I've been working on for the last week - unfolding them for Cameo cutting and creating animated screenshots for each one.) The new forearm is modeled in Low Detail, Medium Detail, High Detail, Ultra-High Detail, and Ultra-High Detail with 3D-Printed Antecubital Detail versions with unfolds in both "regular" and Cameo formats for both left and right forearms. There is a .stl file for 3D-printing the antecubital detail, and a sizing tester that's compatible with all 5 versions of this model. The antecubital detail is also modeled as replacement parts for the pre-existing Normal Detail, Medium Detail, and High Detail database forearm models in both "regular" and Cameo unfolds. All the files will be added into the File Archive after issues with uploading are resolved. In the meantime, an updated shoulder model is getting the same level of game-accurate detailing as the forearm.

H3 Mk VI 3D Antecubital.jpg

There are nearly 30 different files for the new forearm details. (That's what I've been working on for the last week - unfolding them for Cameo cutting and creating animated screenshots for each one.) The new forearm is modeled in Low Detail, Medium Detail, High Detail, Ultra-High Detail, and Ultra-High Detail with 3D-Printed Antecubital Detail versions with unfolds in both "regular" and Cameo formats for both left and right forearms. There is a .stl file for 3D-printing the antecubital detail, and a sizing tester that's compatible with all 5 versions of this model. The antecubital detail is also modeled as replacement parts for the pre-existing Normal Detail, Medium Detail, and High Detail database forearm models in both "regular" and Cameo unfolds. All the files will be added into the File Archive after issues with uploading are resolved. In the meantime, an updated shoulder model is getting the same level of game-accurate detailing as the forearm.

View attachment 3561

Man you two are putting some serious work into each of these files. I cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the armor pieces!

This last week has been spent re-doing the forearm unfolds so they're split on the horizontals rather than the verticals. This is making the pep much easier (yeah, I'm rebuilding the forearm again using the new unfold). Starting at the wrist (smallest diameter) and working upwards in "rings" to the largest diameter really helps with access to the model's interior. Pepping the trenches is a real pain in the butt - very tedious with all the flaps. But by doing them first and then building around them is much easier than reaching inside the forearm to glue their tiny flaps. A fair amount of time was also spent this week working on the new ultra-high detail shoulder with SirPalesAlot. Still hammering out the details on this thing but already it's looking much better than the current HD model. Pics of the new (and final!) forearm should be up within a few days.

A big thanks to Art Andrews for adding support of animated screenshots in the File Archive! I've started uploading files, with 4 complete and more to add tomorrow evening. For those people wanting to build the existing forearm models but with more-accurate antecubital detail, I've uploaded Low Detail, Medium Detail, and High Detail versions of replacement parts to the archive. The new forearm models by SirPalesAlot and myself will start uploading tomorrow. We hope you'll like them.

I'm still in discussion with them on some aspects of the new parts grouping feature, but can tell you that the next Pepakura Designer release is pretty freakin' awesome.

Since you are already talking with them....
Do you think you could ask them if it would be possible to add part numbers onto each of the cutouts?
Since I use it for foam templates, I don't have any flaps, so having an alternative indicator is nice to have. I've tried manually adding numbers onto each piece, but things become tedious if I end up needing to move things around.
If the numbers I added were "attached" to a certain item (like grouping images and objects together in Word/Powerpoint) instead of still being a separate entity, I think it would help me out a lot.
Maybe having it set so that only the objects that are on top of the sheet view (rather than the ones dragged off of it) would be the ones which are numbered would be a nice bonus so you don't end up with intermittent numbers missing in a sequence from 1-20 or however many cutouts you have.

What do you think? Do you think part numbers would be beneficial?
It might not be a good thing for you with the Cameo, but for everyone else it might prove useful.

Since you are already talking with them....
Do you think you could ask them if it would be possible to add part numbers onto each of the cutouts? ... Do you think part numbers would be beneficial?
It might not be a good thing for you with the Cameo, but for everyone else it might prove useful.

Yes, beneficial, and already in Pepakura. Like page numbers, there is a setting for displaying part names/numbers. I don't know, though, if they print (and like Edge IDs, I'm certain wouldn't be exported). I'll play around with it after getting home from work tonight and get back to you on that. The updated version of Pepakura should be ready for download soon - I think all they're doing now is some toolbar cleanup that I suggested. If it turns out that part names don't print, I'll ask them how hard it would be to implement, since Edge IDs are printable, after all...

There is "Show Part Names" and with it enabled, everything is titled "Object 1-##".
So it is there, but it doesn't seem very effective. When you use "Input Text" to add a note, at least it doesn't change size as you zoom in/out; the part names however do increase/decrease as you zoom in/out and they clutter up the window. I don't necessarily need the entire name either, just the "##" part.
None of them look like they make an effort to place themselves onto the shapes, and it doesn't seem like it is possible to move them to relocate their position within their grouping of the shape they are connected to.

Some of them are getting grouped together and have the same name, which I'm sure is probably due to the model itself, but it would be nice if Designer could number the shapes externally from the model and make an effort to place the numbers onto the shapes themselves; at least the large shapes...

I can't remember whether or not they print, but making sure they do would be a good thing to have added as well.

On another note, it would be kinda nice to show/hide some of the shapes. Some people like to fill in the neckhole of a model of a helmet, and I like to be able to see into a mesh, which is not possible unless I export a model and edit the model itself. Then you need to unfold everything again and it is a big mess.
So maybe a Left-Click Select → Right-Click Edit Menu → Hide Group of Faces
and then you'd have a menu of the items that are hidden, and you could remove them from the group as well as being able to toggle all of them as hidden or not on and off without removing them from the hidden group.

A little grunt told me the latest, greatest, newest, most-awesome ever, last you’ll ever need game-accurate Halo 3 Mk VI forearm model by SirPalesAlot and I is uploaded into the File Archive:

Low Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=749

Medium Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=753

High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=756

Ultra-High Detail: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=758

Wow, I just noticed I've been added to a regiment. That's pretty cool, I guess. Maybe now a convention might make it this way.

Forearm files are now all uploaded (including the 3D-printer file) and work is continuing on a new game-accurate shoulder model. We're hoping this one doesn't take months like the forearm did...

Wow, I just noticed I've been added to a regiment. That's pretty cool, I guess. Maybe now a convention might make it this way.

Forearm files are now all uploaded (including the 3D-printer file) and work is continuing on a new game-accurate shoulder model. We're hoping this one doesn't take months like the forearm did...

Sweet! Time to start downloading. Are you building from scratch now or are you both just modifying?

Unfortunately I'm building it from scratch, and it's not wanting to cooperate lol. As soon as I get the main shape ironed out the detail work should be a breeze.

Work is progressing on my son's forearms build using the newest unfold for Silhouette Cameo. This unfold is designed for starting at the most-constrained area for interior flaps access (the wrist opening) and building upwards with increasing-diameter "rings". At each "tier" you only need to glue flaps for the top-most row of faces, so access to their flaps is greatly increased. These first two photos show the bottom two rings assembled along with Large Flat Thing With Oval Indent fully built (because that area is built separately for access to all its interior flaps). Also with this (final) build "reset" I'm going with slightly larger photos. As usual, most of my photos are taken at night (which is when I'm home from work and when the pepping happens), so they're a tad bit "dark". (But then, gothic is cool, right?)

NewForearms1.jpg

NewForearms2.jpg

Another intricate area of the Ultra-High Detail (UD) forearm is the front notched recessed crescent, so this too is built as a separate subassembly for easier access to its interior flaps and it will be added when the forearm is built up to that tier level.

NewForearms3.jpg

Lastly, another tedious area to pep are the trench lines due to their many faces and flaps, so these also are pepped as separate subassemblies for better access to the flaps. The trenches are pepped first, then their surrounding surface faces are added. Then these subassemblies will be added to the forearm when pepping the "ring" tier they go on. The photos below are the bottom-most trench assembly, outside and inside.

NewForearms4.jpg

NewForearms5.jpg

The flaps look a little "rough" because I discovered that removing the top layer of paper from them results in cleaner valley folds and also less of a "step" between parts for all glued edges. Unlike using the backside of a dull X-acto blade, the Cameo scores folds by lightly cutting through the cardstock. This leaves an actual cut in the surface where the folds are. When folding the flaps, the cardstock's top surface naturally wants to "lift away" on the flaps, so I just remove it using tweezers. This reduces the flap's thickness resulting in smoother edges between adjoining faces, and also causes a "rough" surface on the flap which actually works out better for gluing than the traditional smooth-topped surface (more "grip"). Anyway, that's the story behind why my flaps now have a rough surface in the photos.

That's it for now, and thanks for looking.

Sweet! Time to start downloading.

"Regular", non-Cameo, unfolds of the Ultra-High Detail forearm for 3D-Printed Antecubital are added to the archive. Forearms uploading now officially gets a "Done!" stamp.

WandererTJ, I'll look into the Pepakura stuff this evening. Today's being used to set up new cat castles and trees in our house. The ability to hide groups of parts in 3D View is not likely to be supported in a minor upgrade release, but for the 2D View you could simply group the parts to hide (once the updated version is released) and then move them off the page. You can submit enhancement requests to the developers through their web site. Part labels could be added as text labels and then grouped with their associated part (again, in the updated version) and then the labels will move and rotate with their parts. I'll dig around tonight to see if there's anything better.

That.... no. Just no. My fingers ache just from looking at that. I could never deal with trying to even entertain the hope of a tattered shred of a breeze of a possibility of attempting that.

I'll go with the print-ready version. My fingers and my soul thank you for the work you've put into this pack.

Yeah, and I'm building one for a 10 yr old. :)

Probably eBay.

There is "Show Part Names" and with it enabled, everything is titled "Object 1-##".
So it is there, but it doesn't seem very effective. When you use "Input Text" to add a note, at least it doesn't change size as you zoom in/out; the part names however do increase/decrease as you zoom in/out and they clutter up the window. I don't necessarily need the entire name either, just the "##" part.
None of them look like they make an effort to place themselves onto the shapes, and it doesn't seem like it is possible to move them to relocate their position within their grouping of the shape they are connected to.

Some of them are getting grouped together and have the same name, which I'm sure is probably due to the model itself, but it would be nice if Designer could number the shapes externally from the model and make an effort to place the numbers onto the shapes themselves; at least the large shapes...

I can't remember whether or not they print, but making sure they do would be a good thing to have added as well.

On another note, it would be kinda nice to show/hide some of the shapes. Some people like to fill in the neckhole of a model of a helmet, and I like to be able to see into a mesh, which is not possible unless I export a model and edit the model itself. Then you need to unfold everything again and it is a big mess.
So maybe a Left-Click Select → Right-Click Edit Menu → Hide Group of Faces
and then you'd have a menu of the items that are hidden, and you could remove them from the group as well as being able to toggle all of them as hidden or not on and off without removing them from the hidden group.

I see what you mean about Show Part Names. What a mess they are, and no they do not print. They are, however, very good at covering up cut lines, fold lines, and even other part names! I've submitted a feature request to Tama Software to introduce the concept of Part Labels in a future version (not likely to happen with a minor release, so you'll be waiting until a major release if they even implement it). I've described part labels to them as having these abilities:

• Each part may receive only one label associated with it.
  • Part labels are automatically bound to their associated parts (so they move and rotate when their parent part is moved or rotated).
  • Are selectable as standalone entities for moving and rotating (so they can be positioned independently of their parent part).
  • Are editable similar to Input Text, with attributes of Font, Size, Color, Space, and Text.
  • Most importantly, part labels get printed.

I don't know how feasible it would be for them to support hiding of parts in the 3D View. If you're really interested in having such a feature, perhaps you could request it through their web site, as they're maybe getting a little too many feature requests from me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back