Skyrim Iron helmet: horns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasp89

I've come across this forum alot, so I just decided to register (please go easy on me lol) :) and I thought I'd just post my first thingy,

My best pal's birthday is coming up so I decided to make Iron Helmet from Skyrim.
I just finished the folding and all, and I'm about to go to resin.
But I have no idea how to fiberglass the horns, can anyone please help me? :) much appreciated

Heres just what I've got so far:
IE7Vimq.jpg

7ouqTiS.jpg

Attachments

• IE7Vimq.jpg
    IE7Vimq.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 7ouqTiS.jpg
    7ouqTiS.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 329
You could paint a couple of coats of resin on the inside and outside, dremel it in half, fibre glass the 2 pieces, get the edges nice and then glue them back together with a nice strong epoxy glue.

Have you considered Rondo? Its a runny mix of bondo and resin that you could pour inside (after resining the pep first on the outside), then slush it around to harden. Its most useful for these hard-to-reach pieces like the horns.

I was thinking of that too, but well, I live in europe, where bondo is unavailable, and I have no idea what else to use to get the same effect

I was thinking of that too, but well, I live in europe, where bondo is unavailable, and I have no idea what else to use to get the same effect
A light automotive body filler is what you'd be looking for, most commonly found in automotive stores, and some hardware stores. Bondo is just the most popular american brand name

A light automotive body filler is what you'd be looking for, most commonly found in automotive stores, and some hardware stores. Bondo is just the most popular american brand name

sorry for being stupid, but is body filler the same as putty? I only have polyester resin and some cheap polyester putty and thats it.

I think maybe before you continue on this build you should maybe read up a bit more on what you need. I will do a bit of a quick explanation though. So you know you need resin to harden your pep and for fibre glassing. Once thats done you need what everyone calls bondo which is basically an easy sand car body filler. Its sold in most automotive shops so just go in and ask for help. Don't worry about them looking at you funny when explaining what its for you will get that a lot when doing this kind of thing. Try the brand U-pol, not sure what country you are in so hard to point you to a good filler but like I said just ask and the guys in the shop will know what you need. Just make sure its easy sand.

So once you have that you can try my splitting the horn method because you will be covering the glue line up with filler anyway.

I think maybe before you continue on this build you should maybe read up a bit more on what you need. I will do a bit of a quick explanation though. So you know you need resin to harden your pep and for fibre glassing. Once thats done you need what everyone calls bondo which is basically an easy sand car body filler. Its sold in most automotive shops so just go in and ask for help. Don't worry about them looking at you funny when explaining what its for you will get that a lot when doing this kind of thing. Try the brand U-pol, not sure what country you are in so hard to point you to a good filler but like I said just ask and the guys in the shop will know what you need. Just make sure its easy sand.

So once you have that you can try my splitting the horn method because you will be covering the glue line up with filler anyway.

I've made a few helmets before, so I kinda know how to do this, with fiberglassing and all but I have never used body filler, just polyester putty. excuse me for not knowing though but I have no idea what the difference is between those, and which one is better and blabla but I'll take a look for the body filler. I live in The Netherlands, so I don't think I'll be able to get the U-pol anywhere, but I'll take a look when I have time :) thanks for the help

so I did like you said, cut them in half and fiberglassed them, but now what? You mentioned epoxy glue but is that just regular epoxy or is that a special variant or something? And I went to a automotive shop for the body filler and found some "brush on filler". Wasn't sure if that's what you meant so I didnt buy it yet, also my cousin (who works at a car repair) suggested I could use a sprayable putty? Not sure if that could work but yea.

Yeah just a regular strong 2 part epoxy glue. I am not sure what to recommend about the filler. I would assume that the same stuff is used all over the world but with different names but after searching for it in the Netherlands I also can not find any. If you didn't I would actually ask in an automotive shop or if you know any one that does car repairs ask them which to get.

Yeah just a regular strong 2 part epoxy glue. I am not sure what to recommend about the filler. I would assume that the same stuff is used all over the world but with different names but after searching for it in the Netherlands I also can not find any. If you didn't I would actually ask in an automotive shop or if you know any one that does car repairs ask them which to get.
should I buy the brush-on filler then?

should I buy the brush-on filler then?

Not sure I haven't come across it. Normally for car body work you use a filler that requires a plastic scrapper to apply it but as long as it sets hard and is easy to sand I don't see why it would make any difference. The only thing is that if it's brushable it means it is quite runny and building it up will be tricky or time consuming. I am only guessing though because like I said I haven't used it before. I do how ever have a filler that you could use a brush to apply it but its more for filling tiny holes and scratches etc. If it's not too expensive I would get it and test it to see how well it works. Just do a small area and if its not working the way you would like then try something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back