foam Orbital Drop Shock Trooper first try

Status
Not open for further replies.

therookie452 1

So i am to make an odst before thanksgiving because i go to Jacksonville fl. Because my cousin says i cannot make a excellent odst costume. Time to prove him wrong. I will keep everyone up to date with the build. :) i have built a odst costume, out of cardboard, before i joined. I will use the best detail in my power.

So i have found some EVA foam at homedepot.com , problem is, i have no idea how much pieces of foam squares there are, and I'm on a bit of a budget, so i have to find a large amount of foam squares for a price of under 30$ , so i need a bit of guidance from some good 405th odst's. Any help would be very much appreciated.

In my experience, the tiles at Home depot are usually between 8 and 12 dollars for a pack of four. So for $30 you could get 8 to 12 tiles. Based on the level of detail you are trying for you could probably pull it off with that much foam. Best of luck.

Thank you :) i have been looking at other sites such as kmart , where there was 6 pieces of foam for 19.99 and i think its way too much for a six pack of foam. Much appreciated
Thanks dude.

odstplans_zps265afa57.jpg

Attachments

• odstplans_zps265afa57.jpg
    odstplans_zps265afa57.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 169
Not exactly, some people go with foam, because it can take up far less time, whereas pepakura suits can take up to a year and a half, what I've heard. I go with foam,because up in Jacksonville it gets cold around thanksgiving, and it is a better insulate than the bondo ,resined,hollow pep armor pieces . Toxic chems, poisonous fumes, are all pep way hazards. Not only that, but you won't have a climate production problem, like the rain rinsing the bondo or resin off while it dry's, and it wont warp. And it costs FAR less, about 50 bucks for foam armor, 150-200 for pep armor . The only hazard with foam is a barely burnt finger from a hotknife, or a small cut from an exacto knife. My honest opinion, foam is the way to go feet first into hell. And it will be so much more comfy, you won't have to buy foam padding for shins, the best thing is that if you screw up,you can get another piece of foam, and rebuild the piece you screwed up on in 2-3 hours, unlike pep, where it'll take 2-3 days to remake the piece. Foam rules over pep IMO.

I got bad news guys , the project will be put on hold for a week or 2, because i may have broken a bone in my neck , and im going to the hospital ER because the pain is soooo fing intense, so i will fill you guys in over the time of the er visit, stay tuned guys,so i will probably post in a few days,

Sincerely,
Therookie452(1)

Hey I don't know if it is too late to let you know, but when I was buying foam from Lowes it was roughly 20$ for a FOUR pack, which is nuts. Home Depot might be cheaper, but be wary. I have started buying packs of SIX from Walmart for 17 something. Hope you feel better soon, I can't wait to see you pull this off, I was trying awhile a go with almost no success. Best of luck.

The doc took a few X-rays and said that the 2 muscles that run up my neck had been strained, so the project will be back up in 2 more days
Thanks for all the support guys i appreciate it thx

I'm interested to see how this turns out. This is your first build, right? My first build was also a foam odst, (finished apart from paint/weathering) and I'm planning in building a marine suit for my little bro. The best advice that can possibly be given is this: take your time. When I "finished" my first build, I later realized it was a disaster, because I rushed. So I built over that, and my new build looks a lot better, if I do say so myself. So don't rush. And certainly don't take shortcuts, that's a good way to end up with a bunch of crappy pieces in the time it takes to make a few quality ones. Best of luck, and hopeing your neck gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back