First MJOLNIR Mark VI Armor (WIP)-Ragnar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar

I have always wanted to build some armor but didn't know where to start, so i did some searching and found you guys, awesome site and help full tips and tricks.
I pulled the trigger and started to pep out some parts. Here is my progress so far helm and one hand guard, please let me know how to improve my work.
-Thanks Ragnar
1zx5l4y.jpg

313so47.jpg

212v8yu.jpg

znpkck.jpg

Attachments

• 1zx5l4y.jpg
    1zx5l4y.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 225
  • 313so47.jpg
    313so47.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 220
  • 212v8yu.jpg
    212v8yu.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 212
  • znpkck.jpg
    znpkck.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 171
Wow! Lookin great for your first time pepping, I'm quite new to pepakura as well, and I can appreciate the difficulty of starting out on higher def files (like the helmet for my build).

Nice work so far, and good luck with the rest of your build :)

EDIT: Also, I don't know if you're planning to but generally it is a good idea to pep the visor and put it in too. This is just to give the helmet a bit more structural strength so that it doesn't warp when resining.

the pep file i got came with a visor but the attachment points didnt line up quite right so im going to just buff it up with some card stock in triangles, thanks for the kind words -Ragnar

This file came with internal supports. I HIGHLY recommend at least using them. I ruined two of these helmets because I decided to leave them out. Trust experience. You've got a decently pepped helmet there; it'd be a shame if it warped during the resin stage.

Also, the light bumps on either side of the helmet are supposed to be convex rather than concave. This isn't a huge deal; most people don't even bother pepping those parts.

I put the supports in I just didn't have them for a fit I'm trying to pep out all the peaces before I fiberglass it all

Just picked up some fiberglass and resin if the weather is nice ill do the helm and hand plates. I'm working on the biceps and forearms tonight so more pictures when I'm complete. - Ragnar

Great start Ragnar! For your first time pepping it looks pretty clean and sharp. When you get to parts like the shins or thighs, especially the chest, one suggestion I have would be to print a LD file to make sure it fits well and the scaling is good. Then once you have the piece fitting correctly move on to the HD parts. It might not seem like it, but it saves a lot of time and frustration, I know first hand haha. Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see how your build comes along.

i already have a low def chest printed but thanks for the advice i hope my scale is right so i can jump up to the HD one.
More pictures incoming in a little bit. -Ragnar

knocked out a bicep in a few hours and got burned a couple of times
214357a.jpg

fbdkn.jpg

16m15yd.jpg

Attachments

• 214357a.jpg
    214357a.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 207
  • fbdkn.jpg
    fbdkn.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 16m15yd.jpg
    16m15yd.jpg
    561.6 KB · Views: 213
knocked out a bicep in a few hours and got burned a couple of times

Lol I know the feeling, the good news is eventually you get used to it. Looking really good so far bud I'm currently working on same build, different approach though. I'm getting the time intensive part ( helm ) completed before moving on to rest of set.

Only advice I can give with your gluing is a couple of secs after the glue is applied, when it's still plyable but not fully set I use as a time to pull glue from exterior of piece ( I usually roll the excess with thumb. ) Because I notice a couple areas where theirs a lil build up. This may help and also it will come in handy when you hit Bondo/sanding stage ( cause hitting glue while sanding is a major pain )
Just my 2cents bud keep it up looking forward to progress.

Cheers

thanks for the tip i might cut down on some burns i have been cleaning up the hot glue with a xacto knife and it looks 10x better

Good to hear, another tip with pep. If I have a series of flaps and need too reset or move one I have a spare exacto knife I heat up with butane torch and once a lil warmth is in blade I skim knife under flap. I find its the easiest no mess approach to doing it and the benefit is your reheating the glue as you do it, so Ya just reseat flap and wait for it to set.
No mess, no fuss lol

That's beast, what colors do you plan on using for paint when the hole suit is done?

just got my helmet resin'd and fiber glassed and happy there was no warping sorry no pictures will try to take some in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back