Ehekky's Custom Iron Man Mk. IV (with images)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehekky

Hello everyone, It's been quite some time since I last posted here (almost 3 years since my last post), but I'm back...

I have just started a new project, so let me start with a couple of pictures:

1) Sharkmark VI - Iron Man - Helmet

9rdn.jpg

Because this is my first foam build, I intended to just create a helmet to get the hang of it and then move on to something entirely different.
After I created said helmet (pictured above), I liked it enough to just go ahead and create a full Iron Man Mk. IV platform.

2) The full version of my avatar

eauj.jpg

Here you can see that I went and created both the chest and back, it's not that clear of an image but it'll do.

Now, I tried pepakura in the past, but it didn’t go well, due to a couple of reasons; I used regular printer paper instead of cardstock, I couldn’t get my hands on other materials like fiberglass, and lastly, I went and rebuilt my room, causing me to lose some builds in the process, and throwing the remaining ones out because I needed the space.

So… I started with foam a few weeks ago after a friend asked if I wanted to go to a convention. Well, In the end I didn’t go, but I did finally (and gladly) get back to costuming again.

Though not all parts are pictured, I have now finished the helmet, chest, back, brace and collar plates. After I have finished the neck seal I’ll start thinking of ways to connect the pieces together first, before continuing with the rest of the suit, my initial thoughts are small plastic buckles, Velcro, and elastic bands commonly found in clothing, what do you think?

Please let me know what you think of it, and if you have some advice or tips I’ll gladly accept them.

Cheers, Marvin

Progress Update with images

Pretty impressive so far! Keep it up. I can't wait to see how this one turns out.
Thanks carpathiavh99, this might be the first cosplay project I actually finish! =D

So, before moving on to other parts of the armor, I wanted to connect a couple of parts together, so I have put the neckseal on hold for now and connected the parts together with some plastic buckles and some velcro like this:

6hyk.jpg
4os6.jpg

The smooth black foam brace is held in place with the velcro, the rest stays in place with the buckles, which I just attached with hot glue. This is the result:

eq2p.jpg

I have just started with the codpiece, although I'm not really sure what to start with after that, I might just start with the abs.
Please let me know what you think of it, and if you have some advice or tips I’ll gladly accept them.

Good day!

Small Progress Update with Images

This is just a small update to show what I've been up to in the past three weeks, I didn't have a lot of time to work on the suit, but managed to get some work done:

l9pr.jpg

I also have some parts ready to be cut out:

av77.jpg

After I finish the abs I'll start on the spine, and after that the legs. I also need to create a new helmet eventually, because I found out that the scaling of my current helmet is way off.

Good Day!

The abs are done

This is just a small update to show what I've been up to in the past couple of weeks, I still don't have a lot of time to work on the suit, mainly because I am actually working on the suit.
I found that a lot of the pep-files I use to make the Mk. IV Iron Man armor are not exactly accurate, so I have started to edit them in 3ds max to more closely resemble the actual Iron Man suit,
I won't rebuild the parts that I have already finished in foam (except for the helmet, because it's just too big) but I will modify some parts.

I have also started to model a new suit in 3ds max. a friend of mine found my progress so far really awesome, and she wanted to create one for herself, so she has now set me to the task of designing it.
It will be based on what looks like an excellent photoshop we found on the web. It will be similar to, but not exactly like THIS armor: >> Click Me <<

Now, on to my progress from the past couple of weeks, the abs are finally finished, but man... what a B they were to make, enough trial and error, and about a meter of elastic bands have resulted in an articulated piece:

Stretching Forward:
7qjv.jpg

Stretching Backward:
496p.jpg

Though not pictured I have also attached some straps to the cod/abs-piece similar to suspenders. they aren't really necessary, but it makes wearing the suit so much more comfortable.
The last thing to show is what I have started on now, can you guess what it is?

hjqn.jpg

Good Day!

Looking awesome, are you free hand or following some Pep?

EDIT: Just seen the Sharkman mention in the first post. You doing the whole suit off that?

Iron Man Mk. IV Update (with Images)

Looking awesome, are you free hand or following some Pep?

EDIT: Just seen the Sharkman mention in the first post. You doing the whole suit off that?
Hey, thanks anomaly40, I am not free handing the build, I'm following a Pep (the robo3867 Pep, except for the helmet). However, since I don't uhm... agree with it sometimes I'm using it primarily as a base-pep, I have gone and edited it in a couple of places, I'm also unfolding the entire thing again, because the unfold isn't really suitable for foam, it takes some time, but it actually takes less time then edit the pieces after cutting them out... I hope C:

So, it's been a couple of weeks since my last update, but progress is still coming along, though slowly. We are actually almost done rebuilding the living room, so progress should pick up after that. I wanted the armor to be ready by February, and it looks like that's going to happen, though it'll probably be February 2015 |-(.

What I have done in the past couple weeks is build some pieces. First up, the thighs are both done:

gjwi.jpg
a0ca.jpg
ay8y.jpg

The fit me pretty well and I'm still pretty flexible with them on, I can lift my thigh to about a 70 degree angle, even up to a 100 if I tilt my leg slightly to the side.

I have also almost completed the biceps of the armor, they only need a small rim around the bottom so they won't wobble all over the place:

pm8k.jpg

cxu4.jpg

I know, it isn't finished yet, but this is what it looks like with the torso:

j5ra.jpg

The Pep file of the Biceps differed from the ones I wanted to make, so I remodeled it in 3ds max and unfolded it to make it easier to work with.

If you're wondering why all Iron Man Pep files differ from the armor in the movie, read the following rant, if not, skip the text in italic:

SPOILERS for Iron Man 2!!!
In a previous post, I stated that I started to remodel some parts of the suit to make them more in line with their appearance in the movie, that meant eventually just going back to the movie itself and stop working from reference images. After watching a couple of scenes with the Mk. IV in it I noticed that there is a lot of difference between the scenes, there are even slight differences between shots in a single scene. I compared the shot from Iron Man while he's still standing inside of the plane (at the start of the movie), him making a grand entrance at the Stark Expo (the shots of him flying around with the fireworks wasn't usable), and the scene at the party, followed by the battle between him and Rhodes in the Mk. II. I'll give two examples of some pretty significant differences:
Example one are the 'ribs' of the abs, combined with the grooves in the chest are much more in line with each other directly after he lands at the Stark Expo, they both take the shape of half a circle over the torso, now, during the fight with Rhodey, those lines are not even near each other, they both just follow their own path (separating the abs more from the chest visually).
The second example is pretty easy to find, his Arc Reactor in the party scene. The thing itself is a pretty consistent bright light during the entire party, but the shots during it alternate between showing it with a pretty wide rim of metal around it, and showing almost no rim at all.
Now, this could have been extremely frustrating, because apparently, recreating the Mk. IV is simply impossible, because it doesn't exist as one consistent piece of armor, I however have chosen to take the easy way out, and recreate the Mk. IV with whatever changes suit me (pun not intended).

Rant Over!

What will be up next?

Well, after I finish the biceps I'll start on the shoulders, I have already remodeled those as well though they still need to be unfolded. After that... who knows I might even take a break from the Mk. IV to work on something else... maybe.

I did mention that I wanted the suit done by February, because for one, that'll be around the time of my birthday (the 14th) as well as being at the time of an event I'll be going to (forgot the name of it). Now, I do want to go to said event in at least something of a costume, so I have bought an outfit, I only need to make the gear that comes with it...

If any of you can guess what it's from, I'll be seriously impressed:

apn1.png

p.s. I'll give a small hint, it's an anime, I absolutely love that series C:

So, a lot of parts are finished now, though the most complicated work still needs to be done, fitting everything together...

Good Day!

omg you're inspiring me to do a foam build. I've been doing pepakura only!
the torso looks great man!

p.s. HELLO FELLOW TITAN FAN :D

Wow this looks great! I've been flirting with the idea of doing an Iron Man build in foam. Your work is so clean and well done, I'm definitely jealous.

That's some really nice foam work!

The model looks like it's from attack on titan (Movement gear).

My sister did something very similar to that anyway and that's what it was from :D

Good luck on the rest of the build!

That was my guess as well Augmented! Great work Ehekky! Any recommendations on certain foams... ? Thinking of using it for another armor project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back