Custom Halo 4 Armour Build+Lightrifle+Magnum [Commander Button Fox now a musical!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoogami Snowfox

Hello fellow 405thians!
Welcome to my new project I have started to work on.

In this thread I am going to be building the following:

* Custom Halo 4 Armour - COMPLETE [Currently under going an upgrade to support Button Fox Crafts with their Button Fox Plushie Kickstarter]

* Undersuit --------------- COMPLETE
(Spartan IV Undersuit Template File Available Below)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_-2m6wM-KHJacumdTfC1c4YVq7KmN5yslx5_iW4SXys/edit?usp=sharing
To download: Go to 'File', then 'Download as', then 'Microsoft Word (.docx)'

* Lightrifle (Halo 4) x3 --- COMPLETE (x1)
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Tv-Ko-ABK6f3fnnl2G0mTYHihgBTblXwMbjhcxKC58Q/edit?usp=sharing
To download: Go to 'File', then 'Download as', then 'Microsoft Word (.docx)'

This sliced template lightrifle file has been created by Zoogami Studios.
By downloading this file you are complying to the international copyright laws.
I give you the permission to use this file to create your own lightrifle build, NOT TO SELL!
You are welcome to modify this file as you like but please DO NOT REUPLOAD THIS FILE unless approved first by Zoogami Studios.
If you do use this file in a build thread please give credit to Zoogami Studios :)
If you use this file it would be cool to see some pictures of your build :)
I hope you enjoy this build!
NOTE 6MM THICKNESS NEEDED FOR LAYERS TO KEEP CORRECT OVERALL THICKNESS

* Magnum (Halo 4) x2 --- COMPLETE (X1)

*Rarely I will also show my progress on my Livian race costume design.

After my failure with bondo, as well as my previous Halo Reach armour attempt to use the pepakura method,
I have decided to build my new Halo 4 suit out of foam.

The majority of this build is going to be scratch built with some assistance of 3d model files.

The following show which armour I am building as well as what stage each piece is at:

Pathfinder Helmet---------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 3]
Rogue Chest---------------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 6]
Rogue Shoulders----------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 7]
Outer Plated Forearms----Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
Outer Plated Handplates--Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
XG-89 Narrow Butt--------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
XG-89 Narrow Thighs-----Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
XG-89 Narrow Knees------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
XG-89 Narrow Legs-------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]
XG-89 Narrow Boots------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 9]

Undersuit------------------Complete-----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 11]

Lightrifles------------------Complete----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 6]
Magnums------------------Complete----------------------------------------[Build Starts on Page 15]

Livian Race Costume------Head Completed--------------------------------[As seen on Page 6]

Halo4SpartanPoseComplete_zps6c34314c.jpg

Halo4SpartanPose3_zps0580a052.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Best Pictures:

10462612_10152507475161240_2612741287757638096_n_zps7b91a00b.jpg

8708_10202298676691827_6036212982580851263_n_zpsffd2b51e.jpg

download_zps0a580394.jpg

Untitled1_zps6ba1ea77.jpg

Supanova2014BestPics5_zpsa4945da2.jpg

Halo Armour / Undersuit Now 100% Complete:

Front on-
Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup1_zps7cda6508.png

Side View-
Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup2_zpsb8bc440f.png

Back view-
Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup4_zpsc0929f68.png

Lightrifle Now 100% Complete:

LightrifleComplete1_zpsdd339810.jpg

LightrifleComplete3_zps4fede8ee.jpg

Magnum Now 100% Complete:

MagnumCompleted2_zpsafe7c295.jpg

Picture comparing size differences of weapons / helmet:

HaloWeaponsLMCompleted2_zps90632859.jpg

Livian Race Progress:

Head Completed
LivianHeadComplete2_zps3d1ae808.jpg

Attachments

• Halo4SpartanPoseComplete_zps6c34314c.jpg
    Halo4SpartanPoseComplete_zps6c34314c.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Halo4SpartanPose3_zps0580a052.jpg
    Halo4SpartanPose3_zps0580a052.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 350
  • Supanova2014BestPics5_zpsa4945da2.jpg
    Supanova2014BestPics5_zpsa4945da2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 356
  • Untitled1_zps6ba1ea77.jpg
    Untitled1_zps6ba1ea77.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 342
  • download_zps0a580394.jpg
    download_zps0a580394.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 369
  • 8708_10202298676691827_6036212982580851263_n_zpsffd2b51e.jpg
    8708_10202298676691827_6036212982580851263_n_zpsffd2b51e.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 10462612_10152507475161240_2612741287757638096_n_zps7b91a00b.jpg
    10462612_10152507475161240_2612741287757638096_n_zps7b91a00b.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 402
  • Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup1_zps7cda6508.png
    Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup1_zps7cda6508.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,190
  • Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup2_zpsb8bc440f.png
    Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup2_zpsb8bc440f.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 519
  • Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup4_zpsc0929f68.png
    Halo4ArmourCompleteCloseup4_zpsc0929f68.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 566
  • HaloWeaponsLMCompleted2_zps90632859.jpg
    HaloWeaponsLMCompleted2_zps90632859.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 358
  • MagnumCompleted2_zpsafe7c295.jpg
    MagnumCompleted2_zpsafe7c295.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 362
  • LightrifleComplete3_zps4fede8ee.jpg
    LightrifleComplete3_zps4fede8ee.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 345
  • LightrifleComplete1_zpsdd339810.jpg
    LightrifleComplete1_zpsdd339810.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 362
  • LivianHeadComplete2_zps3d1ae808.jpg
    LivianHeadComplete2_zps3d1ae808.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 327
Re: Pathfinder Helmet

I decided to start with building the Pathfinder helmet.

I was able to get a awesome high res unfold of the helmet
THANKS to:

DigitalCantina (for designing the 3d template)

and

Zaff (for unfolding it)

To begin I decided to try something new with the printed pieces.
Last time when I did it, I found that because I was using normal paper, the templates weren't very strong.

With this in mind I decided to contact spray them onto felt paper for extra strength before I cut them out.

PathfinderHelmetProgress1_zps90a2f9cb.jpg

Once done, I great journey of cutting began.

PathfinderHelmetProgress2_zpse7e3d1c4.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Once I finally finished cutting, the next stage begun:

I decided to attach the pieces together with tape and hot glue.
(Tape on the paper side and hot on the felt side)

Because of the felt the little connecting fold bits had to be cut off to keep it smooth.

Here's what I have done so far:

PathfinderHelmetProgress3_zps5bed4ddb.jpg

I started with the top because it seemed the easiest point to start.
I then began working back along the head.

PathfinderHelmetProgress4_zpsded4ea26.jpg

Here's a pic of the inside:

PathfinderHelmetProgress5_zpsb22aa5cf.jpg

Attachments

• PathfinderHelmetProgress1_zps90a2f9cb.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress1_zps90a2f9cb.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 388
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress3_zps5bed4ddb.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress3_zps5bed4ddb.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 351
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress4_zpsded4ea26.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress4_zpsded4ea26.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 338
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress2_zpse7e3d1c4.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress2_zpse7e3d1c4.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 334
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress5_zpsb22aa5cf.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress5_zpsb22aa5cf.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 324
Wow, that's an unusual choice of material, but it looks like it's going well.

Looking forward to further updates.

Subbed! :)

So many pieces... that must have taken ages! Can't wait to see how it comes together! That'll be an epic suit of armor.

I misread the title of this thread as "Custom Halo 4 Armor Build + Lingerie." I think it's time for bed....

I'd reconsider your approach with the felt, however. What does the felt offer you that it's worth using? As it is, it seems to compromise the integrity of your build more than help it. I see a LOT of wrinkles and warping :C

in my opinion you should go with the connecting flaps and only hotglue.
the unfinished helmet looks a little warped... and the other thing is, you cant sand the tape down for smoothing and the bonding of the resin is an other thread... i would restart the project for a better result... to give smoothing a higher rang than the warpes or sanding isnt the right way :-/

Re: Pathfinder Helmet update

Wow, that's an unusual choice of material, but it looks like it's going well.

Looking forward to further updates.

Subbed! :)

I had heaps of felt around and I thought why not.
So far its working so fingers crossed.

So many pieces... that must have taken ages! Can't wait to see how it comes together! That'll be an epic suit of armor.

Surprisingly it didn't seem to take as long as last time, but ya lots of fun :p

Just working on the back of the head at the moment and as some as I finish it I'll post some more pics.

I misread the title of this thread as "Custom Halo 4 Armor Build + Lingerie." I think it's time for bed....

I'd reconsider your approach with the felt, however. What does the felt offer you that it's worth using? As it is, it seems to compromise the integrity of your build more than help it. I see a LOT of wrinkles and warping :C

At the moment I am trying to just put the pieces together and get the base shape.
There's not really any wrinkles on the piece, I would say that it looks like there is though because of the tape on it.

To be honest, I know from last time I made a suit, due to the fact I'm just using regular paper, the parts needed a lot of tape on them to make it a bit stronger.

I had felt lying around and I thought I would give it a go.
I don't plan on using it on the outside, just as a base extra strength layer.

I appreciate your help :)

P:S Maybe I can use Lingerie for the undersuit :p.

in my opinion you should go with the connecting flaps and only hotglue.
the unfinished helmet looks a little warped... and the other thing is, you cant sand the tape down for smoothing and the bonding of the resin is an other thread... i would restart the project for a better result... to give smoothing a higher rang than the warpes or sanding isnt the right way :-/

I see where your coming from Harican89.

I'll see how it go's and if it doesn't work out, try another way like your idea.

When it comes to the next stage of the helmet, I'm not really sure yet how I plan to do it,
but I may have to anyway make another one because I have a feeling that its not going to fit on my head.

So, I finally finished the back part of the helmet, and all I can say is that it was a little tricky.

Here are some pics of the helmet so far.

PathfinderHelmetProgress6_zps4a8a2d4a.jpg

So today I have been working on the front half of the helmet.
All I have to do now is attach both the front and back pieces on.
The main issue I think I will have is the fact that the helmet may be a bit small but will have to wait and see when I finish it.

Here is a pic of the helmet so far:

PathfinderHelmetProgress8_zps4075f69a.jpg

Attachments

• PathfinderHelmetProgress6_zps4a8a2d4a.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress6_zps4a8a2d4a.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 356
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress8_zps4075f69a.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress8_zps4075f69a.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 329
That's looking pretty good considering that you just used stacked paper. But if you go to walmart you can pick up a pack of 50 sheets of colored cardstock for just 5 bucks ... It's really quite a necessity if you want a detailed piece of armor . How many hours have you invested in this thing anyways?

Maybe I've got molasses in me, but I can't get anything done quick. I'm looking triple figures for a helmet it seems... 5-6 hours? Good on ya.
Maybe i need better tools or to rethink some of my approach... Keep it up, best of luck, and patience with the bondo...

That's looking spot on and the size doesn't look too small.

Hopefully cause of my big head, I will be able to put it on easily.
If not will have to adjust it.

That's looking pretty good considering that you just used stacked paper. But if you go to walmart you can pick up a pack of 50 sheets of colored cardstock for just 5 bucks ... It's really quite a necessity if you want a detailed piece of armor . How many hours have you invested in this thing anyways?

So far it has taken around 5-6hrs of work I think.

I'm thinking I am going to do a combination of fibreglass, and foam just not sure yet.
Maybe use foam for detail and the rest fibreglass...

Will keep you posted.

Maybe I've got molasses in me, but I can't get anything done quick. I'm looking triple figures for a helmet it seems... 5-6 hours? Good on ya.
Maybe i need better tools or to rethink some of my approach... Keep it up, best of luck, and patience with the bondo...

Thanks Ghost Bear 027.

The file I used was really good because the pieces weren't to complex so it saved a lot of time.

The more you do it the faster you get :)

Yep... bondo... going to be interesting

I have now attached the front and back pieces together.

The helmet is now ready for the next stage.

Here are some pics of the helmet so far:

PathfinderHelmetProgress9_zps87eda61a.jpg

PathfinderHelmetProgress11_zpsede41f1c.jpg

Lucky the helmet fits on my head fine which is good because I don't have to make another one the next size up.

More coming soon...

Attachments

• PathfinderHelmetProgress9_zps87eda61a.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress9_zps87eda61a.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 316
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress11_zpsede41f1c.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress11_zpsede41f1c.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 323
SIKAXIS said:
But if you go to walmart you can pick up a pack of 50 sheets of colored cardstock for just 5 bucks.

I got a pack of 150 sheets of plain white 110 lb. cardstock at my local Walmart for a little under $7. Sometimes it seems they try to hide them, but in all the Walmarts I've been to recently (there are about 3 within an hour of my house) they've all had these 150 sheet packs somewhere. Definitely worth the bit of extra effort searching to save a little more than 50% off the price of three 50 sheet packs.

As for the helmet itself, I am thinking of using bondo to smooth the design, and then attach foam for extra detail.
As for my foam supply, due to where I live the closest place to get some eva foam is 3hrs away in Canberra, so I have ordered a bulk amount online.

Should arrive soon... I hope

Woot! Another Aussie! Best of luck with your build, mate

nice work on the helmet! +1 sub

Thanks for the support guys :)

I have another update on the helmet.
I have been working on the visor today, and I have almost finished it, just got to buy a file to smooth the edges tomorrow.
I'm using a tinted colour reflective motorcycle visor.
Due to the pathfinders visors shape I am making the visor out of multiple pieces.

Here are some pics of it so far.

PathfinderHelmetProgress12_zps5417cfbc.jpg

PathfinderHelmetProgress13_zps7588888b.jpg

More updates on it tomorrow when I finish it.

As for the helmet itself, I am thinking of using bondo to smooth the design, and then attach foam for extra detail.
As for my foam supply, due to where I live the closest place to get some eva foam is 3hrs away in Canberra, so I have ordered a bulk amount online.

Should arrive soon... I hope

Woot! Another Aussie! Best of luck with your build, mate

Thanks Ferret304 :)

So far today I have managed to finish filing smooth the visor for the helmet.

In the end due to the visors shape, I have had to make it out of 8 pieces.

PathfinderHelmetProgress14_zps2a35b236.jpg

I'm about to attach it together so hopefully it will look alright.

Yay I finally finished the visor.

PathfinderHelmetProgress16_zps2bd5ac18.jpg

PathfinderHelmetProgress15_zps0d818b8b.jpg

In the end I had to make the outside pieces 2 parts each because the visor wouldn't bend and stay in the correct shape.
I used hot glue to attach the pieces together.

When I went to buy a file, I got some bondo at the same time, so I plan to prep the helmet for it tonight and maybe work on it a little tonight
otherwise I plan on doing some more tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the visor on the helmet. (I decided against using a gold visor and used this one instead).

PathfinderHelmetProgress17_zps0281acce.jpg

More updates coming either later tonight or tomorrow...

Attachments

• PathfinderHelmetProgress12_zps5417cfbc.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress12_zps5417cfbc.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 337
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress14_zps2a35b236.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress14_zps2a35b236.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 334
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress13_zps7588888b.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress13_zps7588888b.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 326
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress16_zps2bd5ac18.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress16_zps2bd5ac18.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 314
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress15_zps0d818b8b.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress15_zps0d818b8b.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 346
  • PathfinderHelmetProgress17_zps0281acce.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress17_zps0281acce.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 350
have you thought about doing a home vac form? there are videos of making a home vac former which will be ideal for this. all you have to do is fibergalss and bondo as you would to get it all smooth. cut it out and then just follow the vac forming procedures on you tube.

EDIT*** or you could buy a 0.5mm a4 arclic sheet which you can cut using a sissor tominimise the gaps. If you put a window tint on it it works just like a visor. I did this for my commander helmet from reach.

you can seperate the visor in 3 pieces horizontal as well instead of 10 pieces. after that you can use a head gun to bend the visor nearly into the correct form

Staggering work on the visor...

Thanks Dorvack, it was the only way I could think that would be best.
Alot of filing and gluing there was but I think it was worth it.
Going to try to make the pieces of the visor connect in line with the helmet design.

have you thought about doing a home vac form? there are videos of making a home vac former which will be ideal for this. all you have to do is fibergalss and bondo as you would to get it all smooth. cut it out and then just follow the vac forming procedures on you tube.

Thanks for the cool idea of vac forming U513.
Hadn't heard about it before, it looks pretty interesting.

I might try it next time for the visor.

I had a look at your Carter build and thought damn that looks good.
The idea of the phone in the forearm, brilliant.

you can seperate the visor in 3 pieces horizontal as well instead of 10 pieces. after that you can use a head gun to bend the visor nearly into the correct form

Thanks for the tips, may try it next time. I'm happy with the visor I made.

it looks so good so far!

Thanks for the support :)

Just a small update today:

Have managed to coat the helmet in body filler.
Planning to sand it back tomorrow

PathfinderHelmetProgress20_zps95c440bd.jpg

After doing a bit of sanding back today, I realised that I have put too much bondo on.

Listening to what you guys said (Harican89 and Arcanine) I decided it was best to remove it and try again.
I had an idea of how to use bondo but when I used it for the first time, I may have gotten a little carried away.

Having a look at Cereal Kill3r's bondo tutorial has given me a better understanding of how to reapply it.

Trial and Error... this time its going to work a lot better.

Attachments

• PathfinderHelmetProgress20_zps95c440bd.jpg
    PathfinderHelmetProgress20_zps95c440bd.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 321
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back