Destiny Beta, spoilers open at your risk

Status
Not open for further replies.
We discovered a labyrinth full of Hive enemies, including Ogres, Witches, and Knights by the masses. Once we thought we had gone as far as we could go, we kept finding new passageways leading around the maze even further. At one point, we found some Hallowed Knights, which appeared to be Un-kill-ables, but they actually turned out to be Lv.12. It was like facing 2 Hunters on Legendary with all the skulls on and giving them happy trigger fingers with munitions that traveled much faster than the blasts Hunters typically shoot out. Damn it was fun trying to kill them. We had a Lv.4 member in our party that earned 2500xp when one of them died.

I did the same thing. It was like a boss battle unto itself, even more so since I was playing solo. Apparently there was another chest hidden down there, containing a unique nameplate, but I missed it. Oh well.

In case you guys and gals dont know the destiny app shows your stats as well as a 3d model of your guardian. Yup that is me and my stats. You guys probably saw me sitting in a tree at the tower.

Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-57-55.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-04.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-11.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-19.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-24-18.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43-1.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-59.png

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-03-10.png
I had alot of fun playing with you guys and gals. I to continue to be able to play with you guys again when the game ships out.post some pics of your stats and guardian. This took me a bit as I am on my phone. I will update the op as soon as get home Thursday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-57-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-57-55.png
    403.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-04.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-04.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-24-18.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-24-18.png
    277.5 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-11.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-11.png
    411 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-19.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-12-58-19.png
    370.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43-1.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43-1.png
    310 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-43.png
    310 KB · Views: 179
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-59.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-02-59.png
    312 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-03-10.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-03-10.png
    299.2 KB · Views: 175
Was great fun playing Beta with all you peeps.
Screenshot_2014-07-28-09-32-34_zpsea6kmfzv.png
Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-28-09-32-34_zpsea6kmfzv.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-09-32-34_zpsea6kmfzv.png
    437.2 KB · Views: 166
Explore mode missions?

Well you would go to Old Russia in explore mode, ride the sparrow over to Skywatch, (by the way, I don't know if they'll have this in the retail version but there really needs to be a map so I know where I am), and then there is a small loop you could do to farm chests, 2-3 chests per loop, each loop taking about 45 seconds once you got the hang of it. I think I farmed roughly 20K glimmer in an hour. Also at one point a message pops up saying "The enemy forces are moving against each other" or something like that. When that happens they continuously spawn from their spawn point (I chose a cave where fallen where spawning) where I just obliterated them with headshots. Filled up my inventory with green engrams. I also used Ether Seeds that increased the amount of glimmer dropped by enemies. This was a great way to level up your Cryptarch very quickly. My friend showed me this method and had his cryptarch up to level 12 by the end of the beta. Hopefully I can still exploit this when the retail version comes out xD

Here's my loadout and stats and such:

Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-10-50.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-11-00.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-11-06.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-11-25.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-11-30.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-13-54.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-14-05.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-14-09.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-14-18.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-14-23.png Screenshot_2014-07-28-16-14-29.png

Well you would go to Old Russia in explore mode, ride the sparrow over to Skywatch, (by the way, I don't know if they'll have this in the retail version but there really needs to be a map so I know where I am), and then there is a small loop you could do to farm chests, 2-3 chests per loop, each loop taking about 45 seconds once you got the hang of it. I think I farmed roughly 20K glimmer in an hour. Also at one point a message pops up saying "The enemy forces are moving against each other" or something like that. When that happens they continuously spawn from their spawn point (I chose a cave where fallen where spawning) where I just obliterated them with headshots. Filled up my inventory with green engrams. I also used Ether Seeds that increased the amount of glimmer dropped by enemies. This was a great way to level up your Cryptarch very quickly. My friend showed me this method and had his cryptarch up to level 12 by the end of the beta. Hopefully I can still exploit this when the retail version comes out xD

Nice.
I followed a group of players who would spawn the missions where you had to kill a single target like Servitron, and those gave 12 Spinmetal leaves each. Turning in 40 of them gets you like 250 glimmer plus vanguard reputation and coins.

Best part is, if you are in a fireteam, you can divide and conquer and everyone gets the reward

In case you guys and gals dont know the destiny app shows your stats as well as a 3d model of your guardian. Yup that is me and my stats. You guys probably saw me sitting in a tree at the tower.

It's good to know that I wasn't the only person sitting in a tree and tall grass at the Tower... Hopefully I'll be able to play with some of you guys when I get an Xbone. It wasn't boring playing it on PS4 by my lonesome, but this definitely feels like it'd be more fun with people in a fire team.

My quickie review for the beta is this: I loved it. It played like Halo, has the Mass Effect style to it, and the loot system was a bit like Borderlands. And it all blends perfectly together, which kept me up much later than I care to admit. I also really loved the music for this game, which makes me curious and sad as to why Bungie got rid of Marty O'Donnell.

Anyone else not being able to see their Guardian on b.net? I clicked on "Legend" from the left hand nav bar, and while I can look at my stats, gear, and inventory, it won't show anything but a silhouette of that looks like a Hunter (trying to look at my Warlock) no matter which tab I have open. Wasn't sure if it's universal, or if maybe it's just because I'm still running on windows XP or something.

Also, it's been only a little over 24 hours, and I really miss my Jigoku SR3-SL. Only had it for about a day, but that rifle was a Marksman's best friend. Not only did it have upgrades to improve range and bump it's attack from 51 to 62 (same as my Pompei-II LR3 sniper rifle and Breaker SA/3 rocket launcher) , it also had a special ability that allowed me to pick up any kind of ammo just by shooting the box, so I almost never had to leave my perches. It was awesome. So hoping it makes the cut for the full game, as well as higher-level equivalents so that it won't come down to having to carry a comparatively weak primary just to still have that ability.

Zaff here you go.

Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-38-12.png

I cant see my any of my stuff on bnet either but I can with the app. The weapons are kind of dark. If you cant see the 3d model go to settings and once you get to your guardian and select be able to view 3d model.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-38-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-28-13-38-12.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 181
Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else not being able to see their Guardian on b.net? I clicked on "Legend" from the left hand nav bar, and while I can look at my stats, gear, and inventory, it won't show anything but a silhouette of that looks like a Hunter (trying to look at my Warlock) no matter which tab I have open. Wasn't sure if it's universal, or if maybe it's just because I'm still running on windows XP or something.

Also, it's been only a little over 24 hours, and I really miss my Jigoku SR3-SL. Only had it for about a day, but that rifle was a Marksman's best friend. Not only did it have upgrades to improve range and bump it's attack from 51 to 62 (same as my Pompei-II LR3 sniper rifle and Breaker SA/3 rocket launcher) , it also had a special ability that allowed me to pick up any kind of ammo just by shooting the box, so I almost never had to leave my perches. It was awesome. So hoping it makes the cut for the full game, as well as higher-level equivalents so that it won't come down to having to carry a comparatively weak primary just to still have that ability.

The site has never showed my guardian. Neither has the iOS app. The only one that seems to work in showing the 3D model of your guardian is the Android app.

The Jigoku SR3-SL.......I LOOOOVE this gun. Both of the sights are amazing, I liked to switch back and forth between the two depending on where I was fighting. The added damage boost plus being able to shoot ammo boxes to fill your ammo pouches was just amazing (which I learned what "pick up any ammo" meant in the last couple minutes of the beta xD). I could one-shot Dregs and Vandals in the head all day long with that beauty in the strike mission. Took down Chiefs and Wizards in less than a magazine (actually only around 6-7 shots). I probably used that gun 90% of the beta (the other 10% being a mixture of all the other weapon types.)

Thanks, Crimmson. I don't have the app (or even a device capable of handling apps) so B.net is the best I can work with.

Between the Jigoku and the Sniper rifle, I could take down just about anything but bosses and those floating orbs in 1-3 shots. Even wizards, Captains, and knights went down fairly easy, with sniper headshots netting between 1100 and 1500 damage per hit. So looking forward to the full game. I only hope I"ll be able to scrape together enough for the special edition. Not going all the way for Ghost edition (not sure there are any left at this point anyway).

Thanks, Crimmson. I don't have the app (or even a device capable of handling apps) so B.net is the best I can work with.

Between the Jigoku and the Sniper rifle, I could take down just about anything but bosses and those floating orbs in 1-3 shots. Even wizards, Captains, and knights went down fairly easy, with sniper headshots netting between 1100 and 1500 damage per hit. So looking forward to the full game. I only hope I"ll be able to scrape together enough for the special edition. Not going all the way for Ghost edition (not sure there are any left at this point anyway).

I pre-ordered the limited edition because I knew I was going to end up buying the DLC anyway, so I figured I'd get some freebees while I'm at it. Bungie have outdone themselves with Destiny. The music is just as epic as the game.

I got the ghost edition myself. I keep telling myself i will eventually use the ghost replica in a future destiny build.

On another note, was it just me or was the hand cannon pretty useless? I can recall switching from an uncommon hand cannon to a lower damage, common auto rifle. I couldn't justify using 6 rounds compared to 21 when the auto rifle did more damage per magazine than the hand cannon. Thoughts on this?

I thought about the possibility of the Ghost becoming part of a cosplay, but then figured it would probably work just as well (and be far less expensive to replace) if I made one myself. Even if I went as far as putting lights in and motorising the two main segments for that rotation movement would still cost less than the "official" version. Probably be a lot lighter and thus not as tiresome to carry around, too. And a bit of ingenuity might even make it possible for it to fold down to pocket size, and then spring into shape when pulled out. Actually kind of surprised there aren't pep files floating around here already of the GHost, considering it's comprised of fairly basic geometric shapes with most of the detail being in the coloration and weathering of the shell.

I didn't use the hand cannons much either. Slow rate of fire, small clip, and despite sounding very impressive, not a whole lot in the power department, at least none of the models that I found. So I stuck with scout rifles.

Forget the the Jigoku SR3-SL (unless it filled ammo for all your weapons, I didn't check to see if it could do this during the beta)
It's all about the Trax Mallus III with the Red Dot-ORS1, Damage Upgrade (62 Attack), and Return to Sender, which gave you ammo back for getting kills with it.

But I will say, that interestingly, I had saved a few rifles, and when I started my Hunter, at Level 2 (I think), I couldn't use my Common scout rifle that had 33 Attack, or the one that had 39, but I was actually able to use a Jigoku SR3-SL with the Red Dot-ORS1, Zen Moment (Causing Damage increases Stability), and the Damage Upgrade for 49 Attack.
At level 2!!! (maybe 3).

But seriously, if you run into a Reaver Captian, make sure you switch to the Auto Rifle from the Scout Rifle, and use it in a combo with a Sniper Rifle.
I seriously couldn't keep the enemy's shields down with a scout rifle, they would already be back up after I reloaded.

Primary Weapons:
Scout Rifles: Awesome for PVE/exploring, bad for taking shields down of Yellow Health Bar enemies.
Auto Rifles: Awesome for PVP. I didn't try the one with the massively high rate of fire though, I stuck with the Galahad-B model.
Hand Cannons: NEVER even tried it
Pulse RIfles: Never even tried it

Secondary Weapons:
Sniper Rifles: Awesome for PVE/exploring, good for PVP if you are good at that kind of thing, I'm not...
Fusion Rifles: Essentially a mid-range shotgun, I definitely got some use out of it. Nice in PVE and nice in PVP for campers lol.
Shotguns: Terrible in PVE, great in PVP when you know there is an enemy around the corner. Bad in PVP if that friend has a buddy a few feet back, because the range is extremely limited.

In short, it seemed like each of the weapon types had 2 or 3 stat distributions, meaning that in a way, there isn't just 4 primary weapons, it breaks into 12.
Disregard the damage output on the weapons in these pictures, since they are at different levels, just look at the stat distribution for these.
Destiny Scout Rifle Stat Distributions.png

Trax Mallus III
Rate of Fire: 37.5% (60/160) - 2nd
Impact: 62.5% (100/160) - 2nd
Range: 73.75% (118/160) - 1st
Stability: 68.75% (110/160) - 1st
Reload: 56.25% (90/160) - 3rd
Magazine: 12.5% (20/160) - 3rd​
Jigoku SR3-SL
Rate of Fire: 28.125% (45/160) - 3rd
Impact: 78.125% (125/160) - 1st
Range: 71.875% (115/160) - 2nd
Stability: 55% (87.5/160) - 2nd
Reload: 59.375% (95/160) - 2nd
Magazine: 16.25% (26/160) - 1st (tied)​
Valka SR3
Rate of Fire: 43.75% (70/160) - 1st
Impact: 50% (80/160) - 3rd
Range: 53.125% (85/160) - 3rd
Stability: 46.875% (75/160) - 3rd
Reload: 70% (112.5/160) - 1st
Magazine: 16.25% (26/160) - 1st (tied)​
Percentages measured by pixels in the image, approximated numbers shown in parenthesis.

I still don't understand what "Impact" does or how it is different from the Attack, I think it might have to do with Critical/Precision Hit damage.

In review of the distributions, I find the Valka to be the most interesting and probably what I would choose to take into PVP, especially on the smaller maps like Earth and Venus, but I might choose one of the other options for the Moon.

As for the distributions of the Trax and the Jigoku, I would say that they are both for long range, but it is personal preference. Personally, I like having the higher rate of fire, but at the same time, needing the larger magazine size of the Jigoku could make a difference depending on the conditions.

EDIT: Added a numerical analysis of the Scout Rifle Types

Here's my take on all the guns:

Primary:
Scout Rifles: Good for long range engagements in PVE, not really that good in PVP except on the moon and maybe mars.
Auto Rifles: The best all around gun, works in mid and close range. Great for PVP, Great for PVE in the tunnels between sections.
Pulse Rifles: Okay, I took down sepiks prime with one but never used it otherwise. I should've, though.
Hand cannons: Low ROF, Low damage, small clip. Awful for everything. Scout rifles do more damage, have a longer range, and shoot faster.

Secondary:
Sniper Rifles: Awesome for PVE and PVP on Mars and the Moon.
Fusion Rifles: Didn't use, but my friend claims they are the best.
Shotguns: Good for fighting hive and PVP on Venus and Earth. On Earth I use the shotgun exclusively, don't think I ever switched.

I tried the higher ROF auto rifle, and I couldn't control it well at all. Great for mowing down Captains in close quarters, but other than that...

My Loadout:
Galahad-B Auto Rifle-no upgrades, it's not the uncommon version
Suros MKB-33 Shotgun-Smart Drift, Reactive Reload, and Upgrade
or
Hieracon LR2 Sniper-No upgrades, not uncommon
or
Gozen-C Sniper-no upgrades, yet.
Deacon RS-3 Rocket Launcher-no upgrades, yet.

I change my special weapon the most, surprisingly.

WandererTJ, I think the "impact" for the weapons is pretty much knock down power. I know in PVE I used a Scout Rifle, Trax Mallus III, with a 62 attack and about a 60% impact. If I shot a Dreg, Vandal, Thrall, Acolyte in the torso or leg, they would stagger and appear to be a bit "stunned" from the round. Where as if I used a Auto Rifle, 51 attack, 35-40% impact, they would just continue charging at me as if I was shotting them with a water gun. Might have an effect on shields too, I'm not too sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget the the Jigoku SR3-SL (unless it filled ammo for all your weapons, I didn't check to see if it could do this during the beta)

Yes, it does. Any type of ammo box you shot would be collected, so I could keep my scout, sniper, and rocket launcher filled without ever having to leave my perch, which was a huge help in the Devil's Lair. Could stay on the rooftop while fighting the Crawler, the catwalk/balcony during the defense portion, and behind the crate during the final orb fight (with the exception, as some of us found out, of when the orb would teleport directly above that spot and just make it rain pain on your head).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back