Side Project Showcase *Post Your Side Projects* PIC HEAVY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trando434

Hey everyone!

One of the worst parts about constructing anything is sometimes you may have to wait for a very, very long time. In these situations such as waiting for certain things to cure such as resin or bondo, it's better not to watch the paint dry and move on to better things to keep yourself busy! Recently I have been working on my suit and machete as well and I had a period of time where I had a lot of time on my hands, so I started experimenting around with some older ideas and different types of paint I had picked up.

I believe the end result was worth sharing, and I figured some of you may be in the same boat as me! So feel free to post your side projects here! They don't necessarily have to be Halo related, but I have a few that are!

First up, a Maliwan metal sign. I started playing more Borderlands 2 lately due to the $100,000 loot hunt, an increased drop rate of rare weapons, and the 11+ Level cap, and I forgot how much I admired the Maliwan weapons. Since I didn't have any Nerf guns to modify and look awesome, I took a sheet of 3/16in aluminum and sanded it down to give it a brushed metal effect, I then took some painters tape and made the lines on the sheet as well as cut out some stencils for the "Maliwan". I used some Dupli-Color Metalcast "paint", the stuff is awesome over metal type paint, it gives it an anodized or lacquered effect when used correctly, and as you can see, it looks pretty! I still have a lot of practice needed at stenciling, but for a side project it turned out decent!

image23_zpsc15c9da1.jpe

Also I lost a mask mold I was using for several years to do some masks for some friends, and I made another one which I think looks much more intimidating, and actually a bit like one of Krieg the Psycho's heads from Borderlands! Both masks are hand pulled 3/16in co-polymer so each one comes out different with different defects I can use as battle damage. I don't use urethane plastic or resinned fiberglass mat because neither of them are available at the place where I work. There is always co-polymer scraps and other stuff laying around that is just garbage anyway, so a majority of my creations are made out of the stuff.

The masks will be used in a short concept film titled "Field Demons", a story about a ruthless gang of mercenaries whose members earn their horns by completing dangerous missions. Here are the results!

Mask #1: the horns were modeled closely after one of Krieg's heads. I used standard weathering techniques using petroleum jelly and cutting into the mask with a dremel cutting wheel. In addition to that I weathered the rest of the mask with a mix of black spray paint and a black and brown shoe polish wheel (one of the perks of being employed by an orthotic shoe salesman :D) Also to give it more battle damage, I beat the thing with a hammer.
image25_zps7be9a8a6.jpe

Mask #2: More of my design, I opened up the face vents a little more to provide more circulation, same weathering techniques as above, except I haven't made it to the dirt factor yet lol, but just a side project, nothing but an experiment. I am thinking about putting some inert .50cal rounds on the forehead for this merc's horns!
image24_zps762cd8dd.jpe

But again, this thread is kind of like an experimentation thread as well. In your spare time while waiting for certain parts to prepare, post your side projects here! Share some info as well so we know how you did them, and let's learn some new techniques!

Attachments

• image23_zpsc15c9da1.jpe
    image23_zpsc15c9da1.jpe
    54.1 KB · Views: 195
  • image24_zps762cd8dd.jpe
    image24_zps762cd8dd.jpe
    94.7 KB · Views: 236
  • image25_zps7be9a8a6.jpe
    image25_zps7be9a8a6.jpe
    92.9 KB · Views: 225
Welded a stool together for all the sitting at my workbench sanding my helmets.
8adamasy.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 8adamasy.jpg
    8adamasy.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 170
Got our carpeted catwalks from the bedrooms extended out into the hall and connected. Now they can play tag overhead without dead-ends.

Catwalks1.jpg

Catwalks2.jpg

Attachments

• Catwalks1.jpg
    Catwalks1.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Catwalks2.jpg
    Catwalks2.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 179
A Halloween costume for my daughter...
155711_10202331438349907_1337781692_n.jpg

As well as some tech work on a few team-mates' airsoft guns for an event this weekend...
1376820_10202323407029129_142109732_n.jpg

The creeper costume and the catwalks are awesome! Do want.

My girlfriends birthday is coming up and she's a Tolkien fan, so I'm putting together a Hobbit themed gift bag, made a card that works as a poster too, spent today making it.
Z9ywf4t.jpg

-S420

Attachments

• Z9ywf4t.jpg
    Z9ywf4t.jpg
    503 bytes · Views: 176
A subwoofer enclosure for two 12s and 1979 cj5 jeep I rebuilt and painted.
262018_2042630835838_888115_n.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a mighty fine looking CJ5! My dad's got a couple of those, the one that actually works we use for towing. But looks nice man!

EDIT: And the Tolkien gift set, was that all done by hand?! That's amazing!

Unfortunately not, I traced alot of it in pencil, then went over it in ink. I singed the edges and stained the cardstock to make it look as realistic as possible. Thanks for the compliment though!

Besides my 3d printing I like to do chainsaw carvings.

This is my first try at chainsaw carving. It's now my mailbox.
DSCF0428_zpsca0def49.jpg

This one was a special request from a family member.
DSCF0301_zpsef48de2c.jpg

And this is my current one I'm working on.
DSCF0427_zps4c807d6f.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0427_zps4c807d6f.jpg
    DSCF0427_zps4c807d6f.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF0301_zpsef48de2c.jpg
    DSCF0301_zpsef48de2c.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0428_zpsca0def49.jpg
    DSCF0428_zpsca0def49.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 177
Well I have been pre occupied on a couple different projects, keeping me away from armor building.
1:Rc 1/6th scale p-47d thunderbolt
planepics001_zps789aa4a6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2:Getting My first car like how it used to be AKA replacing things. Olds 65 Jetstar 88 with a 330 v8
pics018_zps7407010e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

pics031_zps486abdc4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3: A 1/6th scale prototype/scratch model of a ww2 German JagdPanther

odst064_zps0393d195.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

odst062_zps26c02268.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

In other words I need to finish some projects before I can make some armor.

That's a mighty fine looking CJ5! My dad's got a couple of those, the one that actually works we use for towing. But looks nice man!

Thanks man she is done and saddly gone but she was very fun toy for the sand dunes and sunny days

Govinator Nice P-47 "Bubble Cockpit" does it run a Saito or Brushless?, What powrs the ME262? and will your German Panther shot?

I have a saito 180 in it, I got the plane from hangar 9 it's been a fun build but I'm a lot further on it than in that picture. The ME-262 is a dynam with 2 70mm EDF's I crashed it a couple months ago I would not recommend it; poor servos just too cheep. For the JagdPanther I'm going to put a paint ball gun in it.

I Love Hangar 9 Planes With kits like the 262 I had one similar and had a minor crash (one wing tore in skin) and now I pre flight check. I have a P-38 Lightning model with a 40" wingspan from Guillows And it is powered by 2 eflite brushless park 400 outrunner that spin in opposite directions and the propellers are three blade and it can be a pain to find the pusher propeller for the port side. Can't wait to see the tank done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back