Visors for helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Alright I have searched and mostly it is just glossed over, ignored, or just a few things are said.
I understand where to get the visors, (or at least in my area). But everywhere I look I see the Master Chief helmet has cuts and grooves and is custom cut to fit perfectly to the helmet.

Am I cutting into this visor? Am I supposed to cut it down to fit the helmet? Am I missing something about the groove cuts in the visor, is there an add on to make it look like
master_chief_costume_helmet3.jpg

Any help would be great. thank you.

Depending on the helemt you want, the visor may be different and also the way you can apply it.

However by searching on youtube you'll find some different tutorial on how to do it.

here's a link:
i know for sure that there's one better but i can't find it right now

Since you already know where to buy the visor, the only rule is: apply it, in any way you can. You could cut it in the right shape, you could just push it in and glue it....

Longshot-X showed clearly how to apply it in his thread here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/25298-LongShot-X-s-Mark-VI-HD-MJOLNIR-Armor-WIP

Last edited by a moderator:
The cuts and grooves that you see in the visor are actually another piece of plastic, over the main visor base. In fact, check here. Hopefully this is of some use.

Well for starters welcome to the 405th!

Now into your question, most of the designs put into the visors are actually 2 visors placed on top of one another. The bottom layers is an unaltered motorcycle visor and the top layer is another motorcycle visor that has had the dual layer design cut out of it. Once this is done you place both visors together with the altered visor on top and viola! You have an etched style visor!

Id link the topic but unfortunately that is quite difficult on a mobile device. It should be under the creation discussion forum probably stickies if I remember correctly. But in all seriousness you do need to actually read those, not just skim, the forums may be rather difficult even with the search bar, but you will find what you want if you do take time and look!

but anyway, welcome again! Enjoy your stay! :)

Thank you all I will look at the threads, videos and learn from them :).

Last thing before I go:
The inside of the helmet I have as of right now is very VERY ruff, cruddy and just very unappealing. Is there a liner I put in, or do I just go in and sand it smooth?

I've seen a few people use motorcycel helmet liners, cheekpads, and neckrolls to line the costume helmets. I find it works well.

If you want, I think the answer you are looking for is about actually smoothing the inside of the helmet.. You should pour a very thin layer of rondo inside to cover the burrs prickles and other unwelcome roughnesses. The rondo will cure smooth (if not a bit lumpy) and cover those problem areas.

I don't have the luxury of using toxic materials, so Fiberglass Resin is out (I used aqua resin). I think I can get Moldable Plastic and smooth out the inside.

hey guys, i am planning to start a set of ODST armor but the problem that keeps popping up is the helmet visor. the visor is an irregular shape and i dont know how to tackle it. i will take any suggestions! thnks

I had the same thing man I found a way around it made it out of some cheap and thin clear sheet and had to cut it to the size I needed and stuck it together.

For ODST visors you have two normal options from what I've seen:

The cut and glue method, which involves piecing pieces together! It's a very easy method, I don't personally like the results as much, but it's a ton cheaper and a ton easier to build:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/30968-Tutorial-ODST-Visors-(and-other-useful-info)
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/24388-Hughs-Odst-Build

I made my own vacuum forming mold. It requires a vacuform table, and a lot of elbow grease to get the mold smooth enough as any imperfections ruin the visibility of pulled parts. It's a lot of work but the results are pretty nice:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/35561-I-am-ODST/page8

I actually made my visor from scratch of 5 mm lexan and use a home made vac forming tool in the kitchen oven on top of the cqb plug that I pepped and filled with expanding foam and smoothed with rondo..i found out the best way to do it after a couple of fails and accidents (dropped a hot one on floor). "deleted page" is where I show some of my lid. I can mail a picky of my lense if you like. it's a work in progress with paint on it now... electronics being built soon too.:cool

Hi guys quick question. Is it possible to use paintball mask visor instead of a motorcycle helmet visor?

think theres a few people that have used that method on here but be aware that it might be a little easier to go wrong with it being thinner plastic

think theres a few people that have used that method on here but be aware that it might be a little easier to go wrong with it being thinner plastic

Thank you. I didn't think about the paintball visor being thinner. I was thinking going that way just because I might not need to cut the visor because some visor are small it just might fit good but your right if I do any modification I might just ruined it. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back