SirPalesAlot’s MK VI WIP: You’re still not done yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you going to be releasing test files like you have been?

Each file will come with a test version for scaling purposes. Each file will be released in a pack just like the previous files. The only difference this time is I will only release them when I know they are 100% done. I'm going to avoid repeating what I did with the forearm. The only reason I would have to take down a file would be to fix mistakes. I'm not sure if I will keep the other versions of the forearm up when the new one is released or not.

Ive been keeping my eye on this for a while, awesome work so far!
Can't wait to start cutting them out!

As promised, here is a shot of what I've got so far on the cod. It is very very far from finished, but it's coming along nicely.

COD_13_zpsd2910287.jpg

COD_12_zps2809c4fe.jpg

Very nice!

Attachments

• COD_13_zpsd2910287.jpg
    COD_13_zpsd2910287.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 138
  • COD_12_zps2809c4fe.jpg
    COD_12_zps2809c4fe.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 149
Sooooo, I just saw the announcement for the Master Chief collection and it got me thinking. Should I keep remaking the armor models based off of the Halo 3 version, or should I wait and see what the HD version of the MK VI will look like? I'm hoping they just update the armor and detail it a bit better. They could also change things way more than I would like to see then I would have wasted time waiting. So what do you guys think?

Should I keep remaking the armor models based off of the Halo 3 version, or should I wait and see what the HD version of the MK VI will look like?

Halo 2 Anniversary's Master Chief model looks pretty much identical to Halo 3's Mk VI armour, with a few key alterations:

- Abdominal armour looks slightly different
- Helmet lacks the ridges found on the crest of Halo 3's Mk VI helmet
- Different hand plates
- Very, VERY slight proportion changes to some geometry on certain limb pieces

Honestly speaking, there's very little to change. A HD version of Halo 2's armour would be easy to retrofit from a HD Halo 3 set, true, but there's hardly much point.

Halo 2 Anniversary's Master Chief model looks pretty much identical to Halo 3's Mk VI armour, with a few key alterations:

- Abdominal armour looks slightly different
- Helmet lacks the ridges found on the crest of Halo 3's Mk VI helmet
- Different hand plates
- Very, VERY slight proportion changes to some geometry on certain limb pieces

Honestly speaking, there's very little to change. A HD version of Halo 2's armour would be easy to retrofit from a HD Halo 3 set, true, but there's hardly much point.

The shins, thighs, and boots are also quite different. There are enough differences between the two armor sets that you could easily distinguish the two from one another. The HD remake of the H2 version of the MK VI really doesn't concern me. The H3 version will be getting a HD update as well and I'm wondering how much different that set of armor will look. There are a lot of areas that really should have more detail, but are muddled due to crappy textures. When the HD version is released I'm hoping that those detail areas will be easier to see. Then I would have a better source to base my work off of. Right now the biggest issue is interpreting the details that are not easily distinguishable.

I could also just go with what I have and stay true to the original H3 version (with a few liberties here and there), but I would kind of be disappointed if I did all that work and the HD H3 version stays true to the original, but makes the details more defined.

I'm not on a deadline anymore (life got in the way once again), so I'm not worried about putting the work on hold to wait for better reference material.

My vote is continue along with the original H3 version for your models, as that's been "gospel" for a good 10 years and many people will still want to build that armor version even if 343 changes it up with revised details. Just because an enhanced anniversary edition of a game comes out doesn't mean the original version is suddenly invalidated. My son still wants original H3 armor regardless of how "anniversary armor" looks, and I'm hyped about using the models you're making. If, for personal reasons, you opt to make models based off the newer game releases, I'd hope that you make them as independent separate models instead of replacing the existing models.

The only deadline I'm against is my son's growth rate. Aside from that, like all my projects, it's done when it's done, and the time spent on producing quality results justifies (in my opinion) the time spent on it. (It is, indeed, a hobby, after all...not consignment.)

I would rather see the original also. I plan to use your files to build it and i think it eould be a lot easyer to just continue the amazing files youre making!

i vote to keep remaking the halo 3 version!

I would rather see the original also. I plan to use your files to build it and i think it eould be a lot easyer to just continue the amazing files youre making!

My vote is continue along with the original H3 version for your models, as that's been "gospel" for a good 10 years and many people will still want to build that armor version even if 343 changes it up with revised details. Just because an enhanced anniversary edition of a game comes out doesn't mean the original version is suddenly invalidated. My son still wants original H3 armor regardless of how "anniversary armor" looks, and I'm hyped about using the models you're making. If, for personal reasons, you opt to make models based off the newer game releases, I'd hope that you make them as independent separate models instead of replacing the existing models.

The only deadline I'm against is my son's growth rate. Aside from that, like all my projects, it's done when it's done, and the time spent on producing quality results justifies (in my opinion) the time spent on it. (It is, indeed, a hobby, after all...not consignment.)

So it looks like everyone is thinking along the same lines. After doing a bit more thinking I thought it might be best to continue the files as well. Since there are people who are interested in the original H3 versions regardless of how the new version will look then it would be better to go ahead and finish up the work on these files first. Looking at it a different way...another benefit would be if I finish the files and the HD H3 version is just a more refined version of the original H3 models (not many changes at all) I should be able to update my model files to match.

Any progress on anything?

All the files for the forearm are unfolded, but I'm holding off on posting until RobotChicken is done with his video. The video is almost done so it shouldn't be much longer. The files are about the same number of pieces, and are unfolded in a similar style to my other versions. I do think that these forearms will be much easier to build compared to the other sets. I want to post a teaser picture of the new forearm, but all the noticeable changes are on the front so it's kind of difficult to do that without spoiling it all. Sorry about the long delays and lack of updates.

The other parts are in what I will call limbo. I've already detailed and smoothed the other files (excluding the boot and thigh), but I'm kind of at a point where the files need fine tuning. After RobotChicken gets done with the tutorial and the forearms I'll probably be moving right into making adjustments to the helmet. Hopefully we might be able to move a bit faster with the next few pieces, but neither of our "deadlines" are in this year so we probably wont be flying through everything. Oh, how I wish I could fly through everything and work non-stop like a lot of people do here on the forum...but my motivation always disappears for a few days if I dig in too deep.

So that's where things are. Nothing really exciting to report as of yet, but hopefully that will change really soon.

I'm working on it! I'm working on it! :)

The last hurdle is (hopefully) getting recorded tonight and then it's all downhill for the remainder of the tutorial. There have been a lot of obstacles interfering with getting it done (mostly from Apple and their poor programming), but I'm trying my hardest to get it done within the next two weeks before going on vacation to Seattle and Portland for a week. I totally get that people are waiting for this (and that's the reason for making it in the first place, not for me, but for other people - since I already know how to do it). But really, at the end of the day, the hard fact is Pepakura is a hobby - and family, marriage, job, etc all take precedence. Hopefully when I upload the file it will have been worth the wait.

Just a little update for those who follow my thread (in case you haven't seen the update RobotChicken made). The new forearm files have been added to the archive. There are files for a Tester, Low Detail, Medium Detail, High Detail, Ultra High Detail, and Ultra High Detail with antecubital detail for 3D printing. Each file has two different unfolds. One is the standard unfold that focuses on combining as many parts as possible for manual cutting. The other unfold labeled "Cameo" is meant to be used in conjunction with the Silhouette Cameo.

I know I said the file was "done" a few times before, but now I can finally say it is truly done. I've learned a lot during the time spent modeling the forearm. I plan to use the things I've learned on the rest of the parts. The plan is to give each armor piece the same treatment the forearm received. I wont remodel every part from scratch, but I will remodel the parts that I feel need it most. Currently I'm working on the shoulder. I was going to modify the old HD file, but I ran into issues while trying to add some missing details. That was when I realized it would be best to start from scratch. Right now I have the majority of the main shape worked up. This will probably take the most time. The forearm had a lot of details that were very ambiguous, but most of the shoulder details are pretty straight forward.

My thread probably wont have near as much activity as RobotChicken's thread, but I still plan to post major updates like this one. When the modeling is done I will start building the parts again, and then activity on my thread will pick up pretty quickly.

Also, I have to say thank you to RobotChicken for all of the help. I know the file wouldn't be close to what it is if I didn't have your help along the way.

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully the next update will be right around the corner.

The plan is to give each armor piece the same treatment the forearm received.

So from my understanding every file is going to be rereleased including the torso? I have to admit, you and Robot Chicken are really doing quite well doing this, I know I would have lost motivation long ago. I love how you went with the Mk Vi from Halo 3. Its good to know the classics are still popular.

So from my understanding every file is going to be rereleased including the torso? I have to admit, you and Robot Chicken are really doing quite well doing this, I know I would have lost motivation long ago. I love how you went with the Mk Vi from Halo 3. Its good to know the classics are still popular.

Yes, even the torso is going to get re-released. The torso is one of the files that probably won't be completely remade, but that is mostly due to how accurate the base model is. The file that will be worked on after the shoulder will either be the torso or helmet. I am leaning towards the torso because it shouldn't need as much work as the helmet.

I've always liked the Mk VI. I also like some of the Reach and Halo 4 variants, but I wont allow myself to make anything from those games until I finish the first armor set I tried to make. I know the Mk VI armor isn't as popular as it used to be (mostly because so many people have done it), but maybe the new files will give it some renewed interest.

This shoulder is really starting to irritate me lol.

What about the hand plate upgrades we talked about? After comparing screen captures with the HD model I'm really wanting to turn out a more-accurate hand plate, and as small as that model is it shouldn't take much time at all to whip out.

What about the hand plate upgrades we talked about? After comparing screen captures with the HD model I'm really wanting to turn out a more-accurate hand plate, and as small as that model is it shouldn't take much time at all to whip out.

Yes, the hand plates will be next. I didn't really count those with the rest of the parts because they will be so easy lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back