FAQ: Forum Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carpathia

Sr Member
As many of you may have noticed, the “Help!” for Forum Usage sticky was getting a little out of hand. The same questions were being asked over and over, but it was far too unreasonable to sift through the many pages looking for the answer. So, I sifted through the dozens of posts, looking for the most frequently asked questions. This thread will be that Help! thread’s replacement.

As this is an FAQ thread, every single question ever asked may not be covered. If you have a question, read through the FAQs first. If your question is not answered, then you can submit a post asking that question. When someone answers your question (and anybody can answer), the answer will be edited into the question post by a moderator and all subsequent answers/comments will be deleted. This is part of an effort to keep this thread clean and easy to read over. To make it a little easier to locate a particular FAQ, I’ve broken this thread down into sections: Site Questions, Thread Questions and Post Questions (more categories may be added later). Determine which category your question falls into and look in that section. Since there is a 10,000 character limit per post, the first 5 posts have been reserved for FAQ expansion.

If you have a question that someone has already posted, but has not been answered, do not post an “I’m wondering that, too” post; simply wait for the question to be answered.

Now, onto the FAQs; there are a lot of them, but this is a complex hobby. Read them (one hint, use Ctrl+F to find a particular word to make your search easier).

Site Questions

Please tell me how to [INSERT BUILDING METHOD HERE], now; I don’t want to look it up; it’s quicker if you just tell me.
Don’t come into the forums with a demanding attitude. You will get no respectable help. Our members have answered many of the same questions over and over, and when a new member is seen demanding an answer to a question that has been asked many times, it’s frustrating. Armor and prop building is a time-consuming hobby that requires a lot of work, research and money. If you’re not willing to put the time in researching your own project, don’t expect everyone to jump in line to help you out. This site was not created to teach people how to build armor or props; rather its purpose is a place for users to share knowledge that they have gained through experience for other members to learn from. We don’t spoon-feed information here; so don’t expect to be spoon-fed.

hai I want to build supr kwel armr this site is so awesom and I really cant wait to start my own wip thread can someone tell me what members do to there armor so they look supr 1337
Please, please, please post with proper grammar, spelling and punctuation. Posts like this make the author look like an idiot. We’re not texting here.

I think the forums should include [INSERT SITE SUGGESTION HERE], let’s make it happen mods!!
Suggestions are great, they give the administrators ideas of what the general population would like to see. If you have an idea for the site, contact an administrator (moderators cannot do anything to change site layout or functions). Avoid creating a thread to generate support to demand that something be changed.

What’s the difference between a site administrator and a site moderator?
A moderator maintains the forum threads by deleting spam posts, moving/closing/deleting threads or posts, resolving conflicts between members, and banning members if necessary. An administrator has those powers, but also maintains the inner workings of the site itself.

I’d like to contact a Moderator/Administrator; who are they?
http://www.405th.com/showgroups.php

I’ve heard of a Classifieds section on the 405[SUP]th[/SUP], but I cannot find it; where is it?
If you are classified as a Member, you do not have access to the Classifieds yet. Only Infantrymen and above are allowed access to it.
If you are an Infantryman, the Classifieds is located under the “General Talk” subheading in the Forum Home page.

I messed up the spelling in my username or I would like to change my username; how do I do that? Should I just create a new account?
Contact a site administrator to get your username changed. Do not create a new account; creating duplicate accounts is not allowed and is a bannable offense.

I see a spam post, what do I do?
Report it; click on the icon at the bottom of the post that looks like a “!” within a triangle. Avoid responding to or quoting an obvious spam post. If a spam post is quoted, then the spam will remain even after the spam post is deleted by a moderator.

I've noticed that I am classified as a Member, with limited privileges, while others are classified as Infantryman, with more privileges; when do I get to be an Infantryman?
Advancement from Member to Infantryman is achieved by simply being an active member for a predetermined period of time. 30 meaningful posts and 30 days as an active member.

Thread Questions

When I start a WIP thread, do I have to have something to show?
If you want a successful thread, yes. The most successful threads start off with pictures or a video to get the rest of the members more involved in what you are building. Threads that start off with a lot of pictures generally get more attention than threads that start off with “I’m going to build…” and no pictures.

Can I post a build of something other than Halo armor or props?
Yes.

Why does my thread say “Thread Closed”?
A closed thread is one that is either a resolved topic, has been inactive for so long that it locked or closed itself, or the creator did not want responses. The gist is that a closed thread is exactly that, it cannot be replied to.

I have a thread that has been inactive and closed, but I have updates and don’t want to start a new thread; how do I open the thread?
Contact a site Moderator.

I’m trying to post a new thread in XX Forum, but I keep getting a message saying that my account does not have permission to start a new thread; what’s going on?
If you are still classified as a Member (less than 30 posts or less than 30 days active), then you are restricted to starting new threads in the NOOB Forum; that error will appear if you try to start a new thread elsewhere.
If you are classified as an Infantryman, you can no longer start a thread in the NOOB forum, but are allowed to start threads elsewhere (with the exception of the Elite Showcase Forum).
If you are an Infantryman trying to start a new thread outside of the NOOB forum, and are still getting the error, contact a site administrator.

I’ve been away from my WIP thread for some time, but I have an update; if it’s been inactive for so long, would it be considered necro-posting?
No, unless you are bumping your thread for the sake of attention, necro-posting in your own thread to post new updates is allowed.

I started a build thread a while back, but now I want to change the title to reflect its current status; how do I do that?
Edit the first post of your thread, while in Edit Mode, click on the “Go Advanced” button at the bottom of the dialogue window. That will lead you to Advanced Editing Mode. From there, you can update the thread’s title.

Post Questions

How do I post pictures?
Pictures cannot be directly uploaded to the forums due to the strain on bandwidth that would cause. What we suggest is to upload your pictures on a third-party photo sharing site, like Photobucket or Google+, then use the URL from that site to link the picture to the post. For a better explanation, check this tutorial…
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31725-How-to-post-pictures-in-threads-(Video-tutorial)

What is a double/triple post?
A multipost is when you post multiple times in the same thread within a few minutes with no posts from others separating them. This should be avoided. If you have additional information you wish to make to a post you just posted, edit the post rather than posting again. This helps to keep the thread less cluttered.

I want to quote multiple posts, but I don’t want to multi post; what do I do?
Use the Multiquote tool. At the bottom right of each post, you will see an icon just to the right of the “Reply with Quote” icon; that is the multiquote button.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I click the unsubscribe link in an email I'm receiving daily for thread updates, I get the following error:

"An invalid threadid or forumid was specified."

The thread also doesn't show up in my Subscriptions notifications, but yet I continue to receive email updates from it. I've been able to unsubscribe from other threads that have died or I'm no longer interested in receiving emails for, but this one isn't playing nice.

(And the incessant "server is too busy right now" error isn't helping any….)

small question, how do I become something else besides member, because ive seen infantry men, and so on, just wondering, thanks!

Answer:
From what I've read in other threads you advance by posting Jiralhanae. Apparently you can reply to other threads outside the noob forum but you simply cannot start them. I think it is a good idea that helps cut down on bots.

Advancement to Infantryman is achieved by being an active member for 30 days (30 days as a Member, and 30 meaningful posts).

I can't seem to post new threads in the noob forum. Is it because I'm now an infantryman?
I wanted to post my new WIP in the noob forum as I don't believe I'm ready for the other forums yet. I still need lots of advice and will be asking lots of questions. Is this possible?

I can't seem to post new threads in the noob forum. Is it because I'm now an infantryman?
I wanted to post my new WIP in the noob forum as I don't believe I'm ready for the other forums yet. I still need lots of advice and will be asking lots of questions. Is this possible?

This is already covered in the FAQ above. No matter where you post, you'll still get feedback and assistance if you ask for it.

Yes, but what's not covered (and also not answered by any admins, if they're around) is why I cannot stop receiving email notifications (which in themselves are always 2 weeks late) for threads which I am not subscribed to according to my notifications page. Really, I'm not subscribed to some threads that I continue to receive emails for (such as Spartan Numbers), and clicking the Unsubscribe link in the email yields an invalid thread id error page. Also, each and every email I receive from the 405th (even a Happy Birthday message) arrives in my Inbox two weeks late. It's not a problem with my mail client, as I receive all other emails instantaneously. I post the issues here, since they're "forum usage" related in hopes maybe an admin will see and resolve it, but I'm beginning to wonder if this site even has admins anymore….?

Yes, but what's not covered (and also not answered by any admins, if they're around) is why I cannot stop receiving email notifications (which in themselves are always 2 weeks late) for threads which I am not subscribed to according to my notifications page. Really, I'm not subscribed to some threads that I continue to receive emails for (such as Spartan Numbers), and clicking the Unsubscribe link in the email yields an invalid thread id error page. Also, each and every email I receive from the 405th (even a Happy Birthday message) arrives in my Inbox two weeks late. It's not a problem with my mail client, as I receive all other emails instantaneously. I post the issues here, since they're "forum usage" related in hopes maybe an admin will see and resolve it, but I'm beginning to wonder if this site even has admins anymore….?

Even though I am subscribed to a thread that I receive emails from, I too get them about two weeks late (or more). Not a big deal to me, but just a confirmation to RobotChicken that he is not the only one affected.

went to post my first blog today... had to get offline for a few so I saved it as draft... now its stuck in my drafts, and when i go into edit mode, i do not have the option to publish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back