Scratch Cardboard Tracker Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

averysmallhorse

Hey guys, It's Machinga here today, and I'm going to show you my in progress cardboard Tracker Helmet from halo 4. This is one of the only good helmets from halo 4 and so I shall make it. From now on I shall make my youtube videos in a vlog type style where I record at the end of the night what (if anything) I had built that day, and at the end of the project post the finished product. So here are the first two videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
good to see another cardboard builder, and nice work on the tracker helm me likes. just wanting to know how long in the hours did it take you to build it? and if you can PM me and i'll tell you some thing you can make the visor out of.

dude this is so awesome i can't even comprehend it! i LOVE the tracker helm! it's my helm in game. i still need to make one myself to get my armor build back up and running again. so very excellent work my friend!

dude this is so awesome i can't even comprehend it! i LOVE the tracker helm! it's my helm in game. i still need to make one myself to get my armor build back up and running again. so very excellent work my friend!
Thanks! I finished up the initial build last night so here it is
What color should I paint it? And should I resin and bondo?

i actually think you should resin and bondo it, it would make this build even BETTER, you should also mould it and cast it and sell copies. i'd buy one!

i actually think you should resin and bondo it, it would make this build even BETTER, you should also mould it and cast it and sell copies. i'd buy one!
The thing is, I'm on a super tight budget, so I might do an alternative to fiberglass/resin but I'l probably bondo for sure

i feel ya on the tight budget part man, also do you mind if i use your helm as reference for me to build my own? sorry if thats not cool with you

well heck to make mine look good I use outdoor paint mainly a light blue/gray put about three coats of it on and blam it's water proof I think haven't tested it yet might if I get any rain.

I would like to say I have seen all your helmets you have made. I suggest saving up for materials to make a well crafted prop. It doesn't take any of us 3 hours to finish a stage 1 helmet. Why? Because we put effort and time into our builds we perfect our building. I have seen slight more detail in your work over the years but not enough. You have said time and time again that you will not do pepakura. Then don't but take a look at other scratch builds, they have gotten farther than you in shorter times with greater detail. Not being harsh but learn and take advantage of this site. A lot of scratch builders make reference pics into cut out parts that eventually turn into the final product. EX. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39673-First-time-builder-MK7-Build-Journal-(Pics) He doesn't use cardboard but he does use foam. Just listen to me and don't keep making these poorly made, quick, and undetailed helmets. You can do a lot better.

huh, I guess that work if you have the income to due it and would like to, see I've been moding my builds every so often to make the details more see able.

huh, I guess that work if you have the income to due it and would like to, see I've been moding my builds every so often to make the details more see able.

He could even use clay and sculpt them too, that would also end better. Ive also seen your work, not much better, but it can be better.

I would like to say I have seen all your helmets you have made. I suggest saving up for materials to make a well crafted prop. It doesn't take any of us 3 hours to finish a stage 1 helmet. Why? Because we put effort and time into our builds we perfect our building. I have seen slight more detail in your work over the years but not enough. You have said time and time again that you will not do pepakura. Then don't but take a look at other scratch builds, they have gotten farther than you in shorter times with greater detail. Not being harsh but learn and take advantage of this site. A lot of scratch builders make reference pics into cut out parts that eventually turn into the final product. EX. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/39673-First-time-builder-MK7-Build-Journal-(Pics) He doesn't use cardboard but he does use foam. Just listen to me and don't keep making these poorly made, quick, and undetailed helmets. You can do a lot better.

He could even use clay and sculpt them too, that would also end better. Ive also seen your work, not much better, but it can be better.
What high quality materials do you think I should save up for? Imho this is not stage 1 my friend, and I doubt that there's a terrible amount of people on here that could make this in 3 hours with more detail. Maybe they could make it in less time, but what detail do you want me to put on it? And if you didn't notice, I'm not done yet. And how do you know that I don't look at other scratch builds? Also, I have greatly improved on my detail, if you look at my past two helmets, this and my Vanguard helmet, they are super detailed. These are not poorly made, or un-detailed in my opinion. And as far as doing a lot better, I will be able too, but this is pretty much the extent of my abilities, because there's not much more to be added. I don't use foam because I don't have a heat gun, or proper knives. And it costs $20 for 5 sheets, wheres as cardboard is unlimited for free. I would do clay, but then again, it costs money, which I don't have, because if you haven't noticed, I'm a 14 year old, and need to save money for a car. So if you have any other suggestions I would like to hear them :) but thank you for your time dear sir.

yeah heat gun is a no go for me too. and 20 is a really good deal, as for me it's like $25 for 5 sheets. and xxxxmonsterxxxx most of those guns are still in the last stage's for cardboard builds. the AR's have the charge rail to be added, and some small parts for the back, now i'm not thread jacking but if you look at where I started and where I'm at now, I've gotten a lot better with my gear.

yeah heat gun is a no go for me too. and 20 is a really good deal, as for me it's like $25 for 5 sheets. and xxxxmonsterxxxx most of those guns are still in the last stage's for cardboard builds. the AR's have the charge rail to be added, and some small parts for the back, now i'm not thread jacking but if you look at where I started and where I'm at now, I've gotten a lot better with my gear.

Show me some of your work.

What high quality materials do you think I should save up for? Imho this is not stage 1 my friend, and I doubt that there's a terrible amount of people on here that could make this in 3 hours with more detail. Maybe they could make it in less time, but what detail do you want me to put on it? And if you didn't notice, I'm not done yet. And how do you know that I don't look at other scratch builds? Also, I have greatly improved on my detail, if you look at my past two helmets, this and my Vanguard helmet, they are super detailed. These are not poorly made, or un-detailed in my opinion. And as far as doing a lot better, I will be able too, but this is pretty much the extent of my abilities, because there's not much more to be added. I don't use foam because I don't have a heat gun, or proper knives. And it costs $20 for 5 sheets, wheres as cardboard is unlimited for free. I would do clay, but then again, it costs money, which I don't have, because if you haven't noticed, I'm a 14 year old, and need to save money for a car. So if you have any other suggestions I would like to hear them :) but thank you for your time dear sir.
It depends on what route you want to go with I suggest foam(you dont need a heat gun)what i meant by stage 1 is like for pep the card stock finish. I also never said others could do this in 3 hours or less. I have somewhat OCD so I try really hard for symmetrical cuts and folds as well as the symmetrisity of the helmet. I would simply ask your parents if you could do some chores for money or just simply have money an cardboard unlimited? Where do you get it from? Just start expanding a little, foam is a good path its close to cardboard only harder to cut. Like I said I have seen your helmets.

Cool down monster this is his build let him do his thing. This is a nice helmet idk if i could make a helmet like this out of cardboard and how did you do e circular parts? Are you going to have them mounted on a visor? And if you do consider foam you may jus be able to cover the seams with 2mm craft foam old inform work with foam tho.

I know monster is becoming a monster because of his/our way of building, and the cardboard could be from a number of places, like a dollar general, or any store that' use's shipping boxes.

Well, I'm back from a long hiatus and have started this helmet again. I used it as an example for my video on how to paint helmets. Currently this is the only video I have on it because it is not done yet.
Skip to like, 4 minutes to see it in its current state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back