3D Printed BR85HB SR Battle Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking pretty amazing there Serin :D being close to 1:1 scale, if not dead on, how many Kg of filament do you reckon this will go through? Itl be worth it i reckon, but spendy lol

Looking pretty amazing there Serin :D being close to 1:1 scale, if not dead on, how many Kg of filament do you reckon this will go through? Itl be worth it i reckon, but spendy lol

It should be almost dead on, the last time I measured the length it was 996mm, which is only 4mm over what the Halo.wikia page tells me are the actual measurements.
Hmmm probably 1.5kg? Maybe 2.
Not really sure as I've been using the same filament to calibrate and recalibrate between printing the actual parts.
I'll make sure I weigh it after its done.

In the absence of any meaningful update,
Here are some things one should not do when printing...

Printing things with parts that are too thin and not checking that ones kittens haven't mashed the keyboard and changed the scale of a piece.
FpsJfRB.jpg

Attachments

• FpsJfRB.jpg
    FpsJfRB.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 169
It actually turned out ok, I was getting pretty lazy with checking settings before printing so this served as a rather harsh reminder :p

Hey Serin -

Any updates since the holidays?

I'm a mechanical engineer by day, spending most of my waking hours pushing pixels around in CAD software and operating rapid prototyping machines (3d printers). Could you share your original, solid part file of the Battle Rifle? I want to attempt what you are doing, but with a few tweaks:

* Adjusting the slicing of pieces to match my maximum build envelope (varies by printer)
* Adjusting the slicing of pieces to align with details on the gun, to help hide seams
* Adding interlocking features between pieces to ensure a strong connection, proper alignment, and easy assembly.

I might even play around with making the magazine removable... or hollowing out the ammo readout screen to allow some LEDs to backlight a static display.

... Could you share your original, solid part file of the Battle Rifle? I want to attempt what you are doing, but with a few tweaks:

* Adjusting the slicing of pieces to match my maximum build envelope (varies by printer)
* Adjusting the slicing of pieces to align with details on the gun, to help hide seams
* Adding interlocking features between pieces to ensure a strong connection, proper alignment, and easy assembly.

I might even play around with making the magazine removable... or hollowing out the ammo readout screen to allow some LEDs to backlight a static display.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/40329-Show-us-your-3D-printer-CNC-machine!!!/page7 Post 62.

Sorry Falk3r, wasn't notified anyone had commented on this thread... And thanks Rahl :)

New,
Finally finished the BR after loosing myself in various projects and Star Trek commissions/builds.
GX2D6qw.jpg

Now begins the task of fixing 4 month ago me's fak ups.
Shall take some better pix in the morning.

Attachments

• GX2D6qw.jpg
    GX2D6qw.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 142
Vary cool. The gun looks awesome. So is that your own printer or did you go somewhere to get it done?

Tis my own, just a humble Solidoodle 2.
I did upload the parts to Shapeways just to calculate the costs they'd charge... Safe to say it was not pretty.

How did you you go about slicing the model into different parts? Is there a particular program you used?

I'm looking into getting a 3D printer, and when I do (if I ever do get one) I would like to try my hand at doing a helmet :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back