Grabacr's First Halo Build. ODST (EVA foam) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished one of the shins. The only problem is that it is too big and in order for it to fit I need to cut through the rectangular thingy near the bottom. So should I just cut out the whole thing and glue a new one that in its place that is the right size?
995265_786267751399735_667762974_n.jpg

That's up to you on whether you want to modify the piece that is too big or make a whole new one that is the right size. If you have an odd body type then just modify what you have, for example I am 5'5" but have really muscular/big thighs and calves which means something that is the right length for my shin will be too narrow for my shin so I have to keep the length and add width.
I personally like to have all my individual pieces the same scale, basically meaning if it's too big and I can resize it to the right size, I would do that instead of modifying it so the piece is consistent.
I hope that helps you somewhat.
I'm about to start a foam ODST build too.
I'll keep up with your thread to see how it's going :)

That's up to you on whether you want to modify the piece that is too big or make a whole new one that is the right size. If you have an odd body type then just modify what you have, for example I am 5'5" but have really muscular/big thighs and calves which means something that is the right length for my shin will be too narrow for my shin so I have to keep the length and add width.
I personally like to have all my individual pieces the same scale, basically meaning if it's too big and I can resize it to the right size, I would do that instead of modifying it so the piece is consistent.
Thanks this is really helpful, I personally decided to slice the appropriate amount off of the bottom and made an other one with the same amount already cut off. As I have a similar body structure/build to an ODST (mostly because I was going to be a US Marine Corps Officer, until I learned I was medically disqualified from having the job I wanted) I don't have to make very many changes to the armour.

I'm about to start a foam ODST build too.
I'll keep up with your thread to see how it's going :)
Good luck with your ODST hope it turns out better than mine is so far. Haha

I'm finally making good progress! YAY

Sorry y'all, I meant to post this a few days ago. Both shins are done! (Except for the back parts, but I will make those when I have straps and buckles.)
892281_789381634421680_1866560803_o.jpg

Also, I finally got to use a printer that I can print off two copies of the Pep helmet without getting my school network access revoked. So, yay? Nearly a month of folding and glueing. Also I didn't think I had to size it so I am just crossing my fingers that it is the right size. Haha
1604402_791085734251270_114597184_n.jpg

As far as straps and buckles go, try stopping by a thrift store if you have one nearby. Camelbacks, tote bags, ski bags, backpacks, and much more will generally have them and they will be super cheap :)

As far as straps and buckles go, try stopping by a thrift store if you have one nearby. Camelbacks, tote bags, ski bags, backpacks, and much more will generally have them and they will be super cheap :)

Thanks, I'll remember that. :D

Okey, so I really need some help with buckles and where I would get them, I completely overlooked the fact that the ODST has a rediculous amount of obscure types of buckles. So can someone tell me where to buy this stuff. Links are really nice! :D

I usually go to the camping section in walmart, less than a buck for 2 replacement buckles.

I am so sorry that I haven't been able to post regularly to this forum, or work on my armour. The reasons being I have had a lot to do in my life recently involving school, work, a girl, and the recent death of my grandmother. I promise however to continue to work on my ODST, and keep you all updated with pictures, when I have some free time.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Signed, Grabacr.

I like your build so far :)
As far as where to find buckles, you could alwasy try a craft store. I know hobby lobby and joanns sells them. Also you might want to check out a good will type of store as well and see if you can find some old backpacks of some type that you can tear apart for buckles :)
Best of luck to you and i look forward to more progress

Update!

I am happy to say that I have every piece at and below the waist done, with the exceptions of the boot covers and calve covers. So here is everything laid out for you all to see!
883120_826159890743854_1706358281_o.jpg

Also, I would am going shopping (online only hopefully) tomorrow and I would really appreciate a list of all of the kinds of straps, buckles, and other weird little buckle-like things that the ODST has on it so that I can save time and not have to go search crazy.

Thank you! :D

Buckle related problem

So what are these called and where can I buy them? Links are great. Thank you.
1794776_826316210728222_1897906027_n.jpg

1969301_826316250728218_1499604371_n.jpg

Sean Bradley sells those I believe. You should be able to find him on the forum and then PM him. There are also pep files (I think by Hugh Holder) where you can make those buckles. I feel like you could make them relatively easy out of wood or something if you use just used the main shape from the pep file as a template.

Nice work on your build so far! Look forward to seeing more progress.

Thanks, I am probably going to ask my friend who is in welding to make me a few on the mill. Thanks for the pdo template! :D

YAY! Some of my buckles are here!

Here are some of the buckles that finally showed up in the mail.
1891529_837050199654823_1905627619_o.jpg

Hey, so I am going to start painting things but I have no idea what kind of paint I need to use. So can someone tell me, please?

Additional information: When I say "kind of paint" I don't mean colour, I mean composition. And I will be using it to paint EVA foam, which I know certain types of paint can/will melt. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back