Grabacr's First Halo Build. ODST (EVA foam) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I say "kind of paint" I don't mean colour, I mean composition. And I will be using it to paint EVA foam, which I know certain types of paint can/will melt. Thank you.

Before you paint the foam use several coats of black Plastidip. This is the "primer" so to speak for eva foam.

I am back, sorry I haven't been regularly updating this thread, I have been far to busy to work on my ODST. But now that school is out, I will be returning to working regularly on completing my armour and posting to this thread regularly.
Thank you. :D

Re: First Halo Build. ODST (WIP)

I started again. Got the "Vest," I guess you could call it, put together a while ago, but never posted pics. So here you go. :D
IMG_20140331_204612.jpg

Attention if you live in warm areas or tour areas that might be warM DON'T use hot glue THE ARMOR will fall apart and its a total mess R.I.P first armor it just didn't look the same.

DON'T use hot glue THE ARMOR will fall apart and its a total mess R.I.P first armor it just didn't look the same.

Thanks, but your advice came a little bit too late for this project. d: I live in the Pacific Northwest of America, so I think I am fine though, but I will be sure to use a different adhesive material.

Attention if you live in warm areas or tour areas that might be warM DON'T use hot glue THE ARMOR will fall apart and its a total mess R.I.P first armor it just didn't look the same.
Um, not really. As long as you use the high temp sticks (make sure they are the high temp, not multi-temp) you should be golden... if it's hot enough to start to melt those then you're not going to want to be standing there much less be in armor... a high temp glue gun gets up to above 380 degrees farenheit, and the glue doesn't even start to melt until you're well above the max temperature (highest record temperature here in Arizona where it's really hot is ~125 farenheit).

If you need to get more straps you can find them at Walmart. In the camping section they have 6ft worth of strapping for camping backpacks. I was very desperate for supplies so i went there.

I decided not to post any pictures of my progress on this post due to the facts that 'a' I didn't want to clog up this thread with boring, pointless pictures of buckles changing colours, and 'b' because I forgot to take any pictures.

Okey, yesterday I sowed all of the straps and buckles for the thigh plates and the lower part of the vest thing. But unfortunately I didn't remember that the the colour of the buckles were/are the completely wrong colour to be on an ODST; so today I ripped the seams on them and went to my backyard with a can of matte black spray paint to fix the colour issue. So now I have 20 nice, jet black ¾inch buckles that I will have to resow the straps on tomorrow (this, I will post pictures for.)

But because pictures are fun, so here is a picture of me in a horse head mask.
IMG_20130514_163440.jpg

Just resowed the thigh and vest buckles and straps in their permanent colour. Here is a picture.
IMG_20140811_143154.jpg
The short buckles and straps are going to go in the sides of the vest and the long buckles and straps are going to hold the thigh plates in place. Also I thought it might be worth mentioning that the short ones are nonadjustable, but the long ones are going to be fully adjustable when I glue/mount them in place.

So yesterday I started work on the upper chest piece only to realise that all of my blades are now dull. So I have ordered a box of scalpel blades and a scalpel handle because I am tired of the messy mistakes that are all too easily made with a round exacto knife. They will hopefully be here by the end ofn the week, so I will probably get back to work by Saturday.

Keep it up man! Good work so far :). I realise that the more pics u post, the more advise u receive. Ps: my bad english :)

Okey, so I heard of a trick when you use silicone caulking/sealant to fill in the gaps and crevices in the EVA foam; and I was wondering if this is the correct brand/kind of caulk.
IMG_20140822_150403.jpg

I really can't read the label, but if it is paintable, then it is good. More often than not, it is a silicone/latex mix. 100% Silicone will not accept paint, but on the bright side, it is good for cheap molds :)

Okey, so I just realised that there is way more movement than I want in the vest's sides. I am absolutely sure that there is no way to fix this, but I want to know if this is something that will be a seriously noticeable flaw in the final product. Here is a PIC of the sides with a temporary hold.
IMG_2313.JPG

Yay! Upper part of the chest plate is finished! Here is a PIC. So tell me what you think.
IMG_20140903_090935.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back