Grabacr's First Halo Build. ODST (EVA foam) (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grabacr

Okey, so I am going to make my first build be a set of EVA foam ODST armour. I will be posting on my progress as I go. Also since this is my first build I will need a lot of help, so feel free to give advice and constructive feedback. Also feel free to post stuff about your first build because I will read it and try and give you feed back. Thank you.

---Addition
Thank you to anyone who posts on this forum. I am glad that I came across such a friendly community that is willing to help a n00b with his first Armour build. :D

I am wondering if the boots I have will look right or if I should buy a new pair. Here is a pic of what my boots kind of look like. So tell me what you all think.
2e91ad6d27e34b8498f27a91081c.jpg
also I am thinking about buying this kind of camo, but the problem is I have no idea where to buy it or if it would look good under ODST armour.
UNI00035.jpg
So, tell me what you think.

Attachments

• 2e91ad6d27e34b8498f27a91081c.jpg
    2e91ad6d27e34b8498f27a91081c.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 339
  • UNI00035.jpg
    UNI00035.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 335
The boots are fine because you have to put a boot cover over it and the digital BDU's aren't really nessasary most people go with just plain old black pants and a long sleve shirt but If you got the money do it but it might be kind of odd looking if the armor is black and the cloths are a digital urban but if you were to make the armor digital urban than that would be cool. For the helmet and boot cover I recommend using pepakura because most Foam helmets look like junk if you want details for the helmet pep it and to save time with the boot cover pep it. If you have any pepakura questions look up dave aka "Cereal Killl3r" video's on youtube he's is also in the eliet show case.

I think the boots will look just fine. As for the undersuit, I personally agree with Flusher on that one. But its you suit so its your choice! Good luck!

Hey everyone, so I have another question. Should I wear Black BDU trousers or something else under the completed armour? Thanks.

Black BDU trousers and a black combat shirt is probably the simplest thing you can wear, and would look completely fine. In fact, if you build the armor right, you'll barely see what you're wearing underneath the armor.

The boots are fine because you have to put a boot cover over it and the digital BDU's aren't really nessasary most people go with just plain old black pants and a long sleve shirt, but If you got the money do it, but it might be kind of odd looking if the armor is black and the cloths are a digital urban, but if you were to make the armor digital urban than that would be cool.

Thanks, that just the kind of feed back I was needing! :D Also, I was wondering where could I purchase EVA foam, for cheap, and how much foam should I buy? I am currently asking all of these questions because I am gathering all of the materials prior to starting construction on the armour. Thank you. :)

It is really hard to say where you should purchase the EVA since we don't know where you live. I am assuming that you are not in the US because of your spelling of armor/armour. If that is the case, I can't help you out. As far as how much, start with approx. 20 2'x2' squares for a full suit. That should be more than enough and will allow for mistakes.

It is really hard to say where you should purchase the EVA since we don't know where you live. I am assuming that you are not in the US because of your spelling of armor/armour.
I am an American citizen residing near Portland Oregon, but have studied and lived in the United Kingdom, so I spell many words just like an average British citizen would, I also use centigrade, but that isn't important. :D

As far as how much, start with approx. 20 2'x2' squares for a full suit. That should be more than enough and will allow for room for mistakes.
Thank you, this is really helpful. No joke. :)

With the BDU's, the biggest thing is what version of ODST are you planning on doing? Because a black undersuit/BDU is fine for the ODStT's from ODST, but a faded woodland camo would be better for the ODST's from Reach. As to where to buy EVA from, I'll leave that for someone else.

As far as places to buy foam, if you've got a harbor freight near you, they're probably the cheapest place you'll be able to find EVA mats. Here's a link to the page: http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html
I know for my build I've bought foam from any place I can find it that doesn't require shipping. This black friday I picked up a bunch of EVA mats at menards for $10 although I can't find them online. If you need foamies for detail, you can find them at your basic craft stores like michael's and hobby lobby. If none of those stores are close to you there's always the good ol' google search :D. Hope that's of some help to ya.

Portland eh? Not too far from me then :) Yes, Harbor Freight is a great place to get the mats and I am positive there is one there in P-Town. I also check Craig's List. Oddly enough, it comes up somewhat often... usually a family that had it in a cement floored room for toddlers that have grown up now and are upgrading to carpet or something. Also, Wal-Mart has craft foam dirt cheap, but only offer it in the thin 2mm thickness.
While you are in the purchasing mode, I suggest picking up a #2 scalpel handle and a box of 100 #11 scalpel blades online (Amazon). This is WAY cheaper than buying XActo blades (should only be about $20 after shipping for both) and the handle design is better for cutting down the "drifting" effect you will get with the cylindrical barrel of an XActo handle. If you want clean and professional cuts, you will be going through blades like mad. On average, while cutting the thicker foam mats, I change blades about every 2-3 linear feet of cutting. I keep my used blades for the thinner material and for cutting cardstock and such, but the dull quickly while cutting EVA foam.
Hope this all helps some.

I have never done a foam build but I have seen a pack of 4 or 5 at home depo for around $20 but just a heads up on the BDU's with your armor on top you pretty much will not be ables to use any of the pockets on the and there's 6 pockets on the pants and 4 on the coat. the only parts of clothing people will be able to see is the back of your nee the back of your elbow the inner side of your upper arm and some of the area around your butt every thing else is covered by armor and the dital urban patter people see on an ODST's forearm is the forearm it just has that patter painted on it its not BDU's I you still don't believe me just look at Romeo's uncovered shoulder in ODST it just plain black

Thanks @FlusherCape26. I will just buy under armour and a pair of pure black BDU trousers.

So, I am going to do what you said and buy scalpels, but I don't know what ones to purchase. Here are links to the one I am debating between.

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Surgical-Scalpel-Blades-29762976/dp/B000FVW11U/ref=sr_1_14?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1387346088&sr=1-14&keywords=11+scalpel+blades

http://www.amazon.com/Scalpel-Blades--11-Box-100/dp/B0008FUQ2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387345596&sr=8-1&keywords=11+scalpel+blade

Thanks @FlusherCape26. I will just buy under armour and a pair of pure black BDU trousers.

So, I am going to do what you said and buy scalpels, but I don't know what ones to purchase. Here are links to the one I am debating between.

http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Surgical-Scalpel-Blades-29762976/dp/B000FVW11U/ref=sr_1_14?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1387346088&sr=1-14&keywords=11+scalpel+blades

http://www.amazon.com/Scalpel-Blades--11-Box-100/dp/B0008FUQ2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387345596&sr=8-1&keywords=11+scalpel+blade

ROFL!!! The second one down the list is the EXACT same one I purchased. How do I know this? I reviewed the item (#7 down the list at the time of this post)!

Don't forget to purchase the handle too! It is a #3, not a #2 like I said before... Sorry about that!

I see the featherlight ones are really nice, but for cutting foam, I don't think you would be pleased with the cost difference. The blades will dull extremely fast, no matter how sharp they are. You will see what I mean once you start cutting, dull a blade a bit, and then put in a new one :)

So, I have stared cutting out stuff and here is how far I am currently. One fully cut out but unassembled shin piece.
1479023_785706524789191_967172230_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back