First build! (Tex from Red vs. Blue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

applebutt

Hello everyone, I am applebutt (or Cori, whatever)! I would have posted this sooner, but I'm currently having internet problems so I have to go to my boyfriend's if I want to use this site... Well as you can tell from the title, I'm working on building Tex's armor from Red vs. Blue and I thought I would share my progress.

ac1p.jpg

I started off with the handplates and kind of had some sizing issues (cat added for scale reference).
cwe7.jpg

That's much better!

After I finished those I moved up to the helmet and got the top half done in roughly 4.5 hours
50l2.jpg

and the entire thing took close to 10 hours in total!
h18s.jpg
zss8.jpg

After that I took a few days to recover, drank some juice, ate some chocolate, and got back at it! I started working my way down to the bicep pieces, which I think took me about 3 hours each (I'm just guessing here because I didn't time myself on anything but the helmet ;=u:)
hwdb.jpg

The forearms came next and they didn't take quite as much time as the bicep pieces did, which was nice because I really didn't feel like spending a lot of time on stuff that day. >u<
ghnc.jpg
8t58.jpg

Here's a bonus pic of the bicep and forearm pieces together, along with my chubby arm.
i93i.jpg

That's about it for now, I'll be trying to finish the chest piece later tonight/tomorrow, but more than likely I won't be able to post it for a little while. Anyway, thanks for taking a look! Comments, critiques, and tips are all greatly appreciated!

The pepping is well done....but maybe the biceps+shoulder is too big for you...it looks to me you can't close the arm properly..

Good job so far!

Oh boy! You had me at "Tex". You look like you're knocking out the pieces pretty steadily; I can't wait to see them come to life!

Also, pretty kitty. ^_^

I'm actually doing a Tex armor build as well (also my first), and was wondering what you use to both score and glue your pieces because they look fantastic. :)

Looking pretty good so far. Very clean pep. Maybe it's just the angle of the pic, but the shoulder and bicep piece seems a little big. The forearm piece looks to be scaled near perfectly, but may be a little small. Again, it may just he the angle of the pic. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more!

zss8.jpg

I know that this is totally not what you want to hear, but I suggest that you redo that helmet. your pepwork with it is awesome. no mistakes that I can see. The problem with that particular helmet is the actual model. there are several inaccuracies with it, and it's seams/ridges are not well positioned. I tried using that model for my first helmet, and I am still cursing it. I am sure someone experienced with bondo can use it, but if it is your first build i would suggest a more accurate base model.

That said, your bicep and forearm pepwork look excellent. Your edges are all very crisp, and the shoulder and forearm look like they fit you properly. Overall, a good start.

Hey everyone, I'm back from the dead! Or at least my internet is; I'm still kinda in between...
Anyway, thanks for all the comments, and I'll definitely take your suggestions into consideration!

So I didn't get as much done as I could have, mostly because the realization that I won't get it done in time for an upcoming convention slowed me down quite a bit, but that just means I'll have more time to get it done and perfected for next year!

Alright first up is the chest piece:
gf17.jpg
iui4.jpg
70d1.jpg

I had a little trouble with it starting out because for some reason the mountain fold and valley fold lines were inverted and I almost made it inside out (gonna be careful to check next time ;P). I sorted that out and the rest was pretty easy. I spanned the pepping out over a couple days so I'm not sure how long it actually took (really gotta get myself a stopwatch or something).

So after that I started on the codpiece and I really don't know how I feel about it because it looks like a giant diaper to me =.=.
iv62.jpg
pr4j.jpg

It looks awkwardly large but actually fits almost perfectly, which leads me to think that I probably just have a big butt. Ah well, if I have to redo it I will, and if I don't have to I might just redo it anyway :p

Sorry that I didn't have a whole lot to update with; like I said, I've slowed down quite a bit thanks to the convention coming too quickly. I'll try to do more soon, and hopefully our new router will let me get on the forums more often! Thanks for taking the time read and as always, your comments, suggestions, and critiques are all appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back