Halo 5 Cortana Data Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

golem95

I wanted to share with you guys a small project I finished up recently! :D
Its the data chip seen in the halo 5 teaser video, as soon as I saw this I thought it was too awesome not to build! so here it is!

First thing I did was draw up a 2D design for my rendition of the piece
cortana3.jpg
I then imported it into solid works and made myself a nice 3d model to be sent off to shapeways!
cortana2.jpg
problem was that the shapeways print turned out great on one half but the detail on the other half was lost
sad.png

20140119_113331.jpg
20140120_144253.jpg
so i molded the good half of the chip
20140121_101240.jpg
cast it twice and stuck them together then molded that as a master
20140124_121709.jpg
20140124_120752.jpg

I then cast a couple up with some cold cast iron!
20140131_231443.jpg
20140131_231457.jpg

cortana3.jpg

cortana2.jpg

sad.png

20140119_113331.jpg

20140120_144253.jpg

20140121_101240.jpg

20140124_121709.jpg

20140124_120752.jpg

20140131_231443.jpg

20140131_231457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, that's pretty good, you should know there's a few guys on here that make them, some even sale.

yeah, that's pretty good, you should know there's a few guys on here that make them, some even sale.

I do know that thanks :p but I always like making my own props rather than buying them so I thought I would give it a go! :)

I'll be doing an aluminium cold cast soon too!

so a whole metal chip that would be a first for it.

Not exactly. Cold casting refers to the process of mixing in small metal flakes into the same type of resin you'd normally cast the item in; giving it a faux-metal appearance. The flakes appear very abundant to the human eye, and therefore look the same as metal would when buffed. But ultimately, when it comes to strength and durability, the pieces are only as strong as the resin you cast them in.
As far as making actual metal chips that small with that kind of detail, you'd be investing a LOT of money into molding and casting supplies and tools; Metal needs to be hot to mold to such fine detail!

-Ryan M-82

Not exactly. Cold casting refers to the process of mixing in small metal flakes into the same type of resin you'd normally cast the item in; giving it a faux-metal appearance. The flakes appear very abundant to the human eye, and therefore look the same as metal would when buffed. But ultimately, when it comes to strength and durability, the pieces are only as strong as the resin you cast them in.
As far as making actual metal chips that small with that kind of detail, you'd be investing a LOT of money into molding and casting supplies and tools; Metal needs to be hot to mold to such fine detail!

-Ryan M-82
Thanks for clearing that up for me :) I actually use metal powder rather than flakes. And yeah I don't have any plans thus far to try casting it in real metal, cold cast is good enough for now!

ok so want one ...
If youd like one pm me! I actually have these up on etsy already :)

Always had a thing for necklace type props, this is awesome! Great job! :)

Really cool. Any plans to sell them down the line? Iron seems a little heavy for necklace use, so maybe the aluminum will be better.

The iron ones are actually very light weight as it's still mainly polyurethane plastic! I currently have these up on etsy, but yes I will be adding the aluminum ones to etsy later as well :)

yeah like the other guys...

After seeing your comment foxleader, I searched and found that JUSTINIAN 117 made this a while back and I believe he offers casts.
Not trying to be rude, golem95. But why not get a cast from a fellow 405th member instead of going through the trouble of hiring Shapeways?

After seeing your comment foxleader, I searched and found that JUSTINIAN 117 made this a while back and I believe he offers casts.
Not trying to be rude, golem95. But why not get a cast from a fellow 405th member instead of going through the trouble of hiring Shapeways?

Because I enjoy making my own replicas! I wanted to get some practice 3D modeling as well so it seemed as good a project as any!

Nice work. I like how you used the good side, and molded both sides from it. I have never seen someone cast with iron powder before. Once you get the aluminum ones finished, can you get a comparison shot of what they look like together?

True facts about Cold casting:
1. Metal powder is mixed into the resin
2. It only looks like metal once it has been buffed, before that, it just looks grey
3. There is no weight increase by adding the powder (at least not with something this small)
4. It is close to looking like real metal, but there is a difference.

Overall cold casting is much more cost effective than casting with real metal though. I will say that you can achieve this level of detail by casting real metal, it is just a much more expensive process.

Nice work. I like how you used the good side, and molded both sides from it. I have never seen someone cast with iron powder before. Once you get the aluminum ones finished, can you get a comparison shot of what they look like together?

True facts about Cold casting:
1. Metal powder is mixed into the resin
2. It only looks like metal once it has been buffed, before that, it just looks grey
3. There is no weight increase by adding the powder (at least not with something this small)
4. It is close to looking like real metal, but there is a difference.

Overall cold casting is much more cost effective than casting with real metal though. I will say that you can achieve this level of detail by casting real metal, it is just a much more expensive process.

Thanks! Its your work that inspired me to try my hand at these :D yeah ill definitely put up a comparison shot when ive done the aluminium one as well :) actually these ones I only buffed slightly, as i dont have 0000 grade steel wool I tried using those polishing pads you get with Dremel tools. Its kinda hit and miss as to whether or not it polishes well, as you can see there is a bit of difference between the three pictured casts' sheen. I have ordered some steel wool in though so I should be able to buff them up nicely when it arrives :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back