blackout11c's 3D Render thread (with Resources!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackout11c

Jr Member
As a follow-on from my thread about my custom-render of the end of Reach, I decided to start this. It contains pictures of assorted ships from the Halo Universe, irrespective of whether they are UNSC, Covenant, or Forerunner. Any queries, just throw me a PM or post it here.
CCS-class Battlecruiser
ccscruiser_zps2cd90362.png

ccscruiser2_zpsb2e24f95.png

SDV-class Heavy Corvette
sdvcorvette_zpsb2166f95.png

sdvcorvette2_zps8fe3ea9f.png

CAS-class Assault Carrier
cascarrier2_zps21369cd7.png

cascarrier_zps3dabc7f8.png

Links from here - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B7ufQtFQDGNZSjFFWnoyNFdoZk0&usp=sharing. Zips contain .blend, .obj, and textures, for the respective ships.

Attachments

• ccscruiser_zps2cd90362.png
    ccscruiser_zps2cd90362.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 2,154
  • ccscruiser2_zpsb2e24f95.png
    ccscruiser2_zpsb2e24f95.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 632
  • sdvcorvette_zpsb2166f95.png
    sdvcorvette_zpsb2166f95.png
    343.4 KB · Views: 978
  • sdvcorvette2_zps8fe3ea9f.png
    sdvcorvette2_zps8fe3ea9f.png
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,142
  • cascarrier_zps3dabc7f8.png
    cascarrier_zps3dabc7f8.png
    142 KB · Views: 409
  • cascarrier2_zps21369cd7.png
    cascarrier2_zps21369cd7.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 514
Looking good Blackout11c. I cant get the hang of using nodes, it takes me a while to get anything going and then I realize I wanted a small change. then I give up a for a while

Looking good Blackout11c. I cant get the hang of using nodes, it takes me a while to get anything going and then I realize I wanted a small change. then I give up a for a while
I find that cycles nodes are mostly trial and error. There may be tutorials for some of this, but there is a lot of hit-and-miss going on. On a side note, as of Blender 2.71, cycles will be the default rendering engine.

The Charon-class Light Frigate, with a preview of what's next. File is available on the database.
CharonFFG_zps5a28a39a.png

CheronFFG_zpsec63c314.png

preview_zps1887e786.png

Attachments

• CheronFFG_zpsec63c314.png
    CheronFFG_zpsec63c314.png
    223.2 KB · Views: 324
  • preview_zps1887e786.png
    preview_zps1887e786.png
    226.2 KB · Views: 326
  • CharonFFG_zps5a28a39a.png
    CharonFFG_zps5a28a39a.png
    287.6 KB · Views: 349
Have you tried turning up your samples when you render? I noticed that your covenant ones had slightly grainy glossy effects on them. Just my 2 cents. I like what you're doing, though :)

Have you tried turning up your samples when you render? I noticed that your covenant ones had slightly grainy glossy effects on them. Just my 2 cents. I like what you're doing, though :)
They were only rendered at 50-100 samples. You can see a clear difference between the underside of the corvette (50 samples) and the underside of the Cruiser (1000 samples). Only problem is, 1000 samples takes a long time to render, even on a fairly high-spec machine.

They were only rendered at 50-100 samples. You can see a clear difference between the underside of the corvette (50 samples) and the underside of the Cruiser (1000 samples). Only problem is, 1000 samples takes a long time to render, even on a fairly high-spec machine.

Yeah, rendering HQ can be a pain. It's nice to see a fellow blender user, along with Crimson :)

Yeah, rendering HQ can be a pain. It's nice to see a fellow blender user, along with Crimson :)
I tend to stick around 100-400 samples. It doesn't look quite as nice as 1000 samples, but it does the job. And yes, it is good to see other blender users on here :cool

Paris-class Heavy Frigate. Now with 100% more lights.
Files are on the database - here
Paris_ffg_zpsfc5fb46a.png

Paris_ffg2_zps9e0a26a9.png

Attachments

• Paris_ffg_zpsfc5fb46a.png
    Paris_ffg_zpsfc5fb46a.png
    128 KB · Views: 382
  • Paris_ffg2_zps9e0a26a9.png
    Paris_ffg2_zps9e0a26a9.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 363
So, I was playing around with a experimental build of Blender, seeing if I could do engine effects with it. So, 405th, what do you think?
parisrearview_zps13ed401d.png

paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png

Attachments

• parisrearview_zps13ed401d.png
    parisrearview_zps13ed401d.png
    202.3 KB · Views: 487
  • paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png
    paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 395
So, I was playing around with a experimental build of Blender, seeing if I could do engine effects with it. So, 405th, what do you think?

paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png
There's something about the "Glow" effect that bothers me, but I can't figure out what it is.

Try a longer cone with an open end, and a solid->transparent gradient material from the engine outward. Also maybe some light sources spaced back from the engines (decreasing in intensity), to cast a "back-glow" on the rest of the ship.

Dunno, just some thoughts.
E:Also, please light your scene a bit more.

Attachments

• paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png
    paris2_zps1cfaebe2.png
    136.5 KB · Views: 340
There's something about the "Glow" effect that bothers me, but I can't figure out what it is.

Try a longer cone with an open end, and a solid->transparent gradient material from the engine outward. Also maybe some light sources spaced back from the engines (decreasing in intensity), to cast a "back-glow" on the rest of the ship.

Dunno, just some thoughts.
E:Also, please light your scene a bit more.

yeah if you have something like a sun somewhere it would help.

Here are two new renders, one with the engine "flames", and one without them. I don't know if they're lit properly, but hey, they look cool. I will try for some against a planet, for more light, but that will take time to render. Oh, and I personally think it looks better without the flame... things.
parisback_zps81738af6.png

parisback2_zps3a933164.png

Attachments

• parisback_zps81738af6.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 361
  • parisback2_zps3a933164.png
    parisback2_zps3a933164.png
    152.4 KB · Views: 397
Here are two new renders, one with the engine "flames", and one without them. I don't know if they're lit properly, but hey, they look cool. I will try for some against a planet, for more light, but that will take time to render. Oh, and I personally think it looks better without the flame... things.

That's definitely the better of the two.
In this instance, yes, I agree the engine contrails look terrible.
I'm not sure on the horizontal light blur thing going on on the engines and the sun - it looks out of place.
Looking at this as reference, you might want to go a lighter shade of blue.

On rendering - does blender allow for selective rendering? Can you have only the ship+engines render - but still have them affected by the light cast from the background elements, without actually rendering them?

Attachments

• parisback_zps81738af6.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 355
That's definitely the better of the two.
In this instance, yes, I agree the engine contrails look terrible.
I'm not sure on the horizontal light blur thing going on on the engines and the sun - it looks out of place.
you might want to go a lighter shade of blue.

On rendering - does blender allow for selective rendering? Can you have only the ship+engines render - but still have them affected by the light cast from the background elements, without actually rendering them?
The flare definetly needs some work. In terms of rendering, the only thing that comes to mind is the different render passes. Only issue is that I can't find much info on that. It may be an experimental feature, though. I'll check the experimental build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back