Sarlume's Meta build (pic heavy, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics are looking great :)
I think the shins look good and you dont really need to change them. As far as the other stuff, you could always just add a little bit to the cod maybe? instead of rebuilding the whole thing

Awesome. I'll definitely add some size to the cod and thighs, but I'm probably going to shave like a half inch off of the bottom of the shins just to even things out in my own eyes.

It all looks perfect to me :)
That visor rocks, looks as though it was a perfect fit too.
Keep up the awesome work

Thanks! It turned out to really step up the costume, so I really can't thank Jeremy enough for that visor!!

always a joy to see your work Sarlume :) Looks amazing! I finally got caught up on RvB and he is definitely a cool character thats not done very often

Thank you! He is pretty awesome, and I love the parts in season 8 where he denies seeing "the floating eyeball", and where he throws a tantrum after finding the storage unit empty.

You never fail to amaze me. Seems like foam is your best friend. I wish I could manipulate it at that level.

Oh man, that means a lot! You guys never fail to help ease my uncertainty as I work on improving.

Awesome work man! I love the meta, and I'm extremely partial to Eva helmets... Except the halo 4 one that looks like an orca or a beluga whale or something. Your foam work is excellent too- I like that you built a foam base to a vacuformed visor- makes me wish I had done that with my long winded Eva build.

I'm really partial to the EVA helmets, too. I like the Halo 4 version, though. ^^; Yeah, the shape is weird, but there are weirder helmets in Halo 4 to me. Heh...

First off, I am loving how your Meta Build is turning out.

I am also making The Meta/Maine (season 9 and 10 version), and I am also planning on buying a visor from armory props. I am going to be pinched for time (1 month isn't long in the costuming world I am finding), so I was wondering what scale you set your helmet at so that I can have my helmet ready for the visor the moment it arrives.

Thank you! I'm diggin' your build, as well. It'd be pretty nifty if our Metas could meet up someday.

The scale I built was 253mm for the height, but it was really snug. I probably could have gone up another 5mm or so to have it fit better, but I was worried about ending up in bobble territory, so I made it work.

That visor's Purtyyy :$

Idn't it? My mannequin looks very menacing in the helmet, now. ^__^

I don't have any updates yet (other than having bought more foam in preparation...YAY!), BUT I will be beginning the Brute Shot alongside putting details on the suit after I get a few orders caught up. Corsets...corsets everywhere!!

I just wanted to answer questions real quick before ducking back out again. See y'all later!

Update!!

Man, this took a while...things have been done though, and there is more to come after tomorrow as well...hopefully. So, I finally got enough detailed that I felt comfortable whipping out the plasti-dip and paint! The helmet received copious coats of caulking to smooth out seams, but I am pretty unhappy with it...maybe I should cut away the ridges and repeat? :-/

XU2Hjdgl.jpg

Forearms were given the same treatment, but I'd say they're a bit better. Probably not quiiiite done messing with them though; the crap silhouetted in the lighting really bugs me, and there are a couple more details I missed. SIGH.

ZJyWvKKl.jpg

I also made his CQB shoulder a bit bigger, since the thing was just being dwarfed by the rest of the suit. Way happier with it now. (it isn't drooping now!) He's sooo almost done that I can actually smell the luxury of having free time again! (okay, not really...I still have way too much other stuff to do, but the suit will be done!) PICS!

cIGYYcXl.jpg

EMk6iuDl.jpg

Side by side for comparison on shoulder size:

HYeEa7ol.jpg

Tomorrow, I will be working on the paint for the other thigh, and detailing the shins and boots for paint. Once I get to that point, I'll be sure to make...I mean ask my son to put his suit on for another fitting. Then I can take notes on where to rig what.

I will get brave enough to (lightly) blackwash this suit! swear...

XU2Hjdgl.jpg

ZJyWvKKl.jpg

cIGYYcXl.jpg

EMk6iuDl.jpg

HYeEa7ol.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! You're back. I think it's going well. All the ridges just need to be filed down from mountain to mountain then you can apply more to fill in valley's to make it smooth.

This looks great!

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Yay! You're back. I think it's going well. All the ridges just need to be filed down from mountain to mountain then you can apply more to fill in valley's to make it smooth.

This looks great! ��

Thanks! Yeah, I'm probably going to go back and tear into those seams (figuratively, of course..) so that they aren't so ugly. We'll see where it goes from there. :)

He's done!

...Well, mostly. He still needs all of the separate parts to be rigged for human-wear (the thighs and shoulders keep falling), his undersuit needs serious attention, and he needs his weapon. Plus odds and ends, of course. But still...pics!

slMlZxVl.jpg

(There's really a Brute shot there... Give it like 3 weeks.)
nfw9mecl.jpg

XUPsqPSl.jpg

Here is his attempt at recreating the super-slow punch induced by Doc:
vM996fCl.jpg

So, I'm almost ready to start not getting so apprehensive about RTX getting closer. (I highly doubt that made much sense...) ^__^;

I'll probably put out a couple more updates covering the construction of the Brute shot and a few other little things until he's fully ready to go, but we got him built and painted!

I've been awake since 4pm yesterday, so I'm really not sure all of what I just wrote makes any sense...I'm gonna go lay down now. -_-...

slMlZxVl.jpg

nfw9mecl.jpg

XUPsqPSl.jpg

vM996fCl.jpg

looks awesome man. The build really looks great and love the slow mo punch shoot made me laugh hard

Beautifully done! It looks really clean, and you have some really nice detail on it. Any plans to weather it?

righteous!
Very well done i think :)

Thank you! I was pretty nervous about getting him to look okay, but I'm happy with the turnout. :)

looks awesome man. The build really looks great and love the slow mo punch shoot made me laugh hard

Haha...that was his own. He struck the pose and I told him to hold it so I could snap a picture. I was laughing at the impromptu pose, too.

Beautifully done! It looks really clean, and you have some really nice detail on it. Any plans to weather it?

Thanks! Yeah, I got brave enough to practice blackwashing on the hand plates first (it's a pretty heavy blackwash there), and moved on to other pieces. It doesn't come through in the pictures very well, but I may try it some more in places where there wasn't much change. I also put a couple of scratch marks on the torso, but I'm scared to overdo it. Do you think he might be more damaged or dirty since he's rogue? (and a little crazy...)

I'd just like to know; how to weather white armour pieces. With some background knowledge, it'd look messy and spotty on white if I did it how I've been taught. Any tips that could be passed on to a curious member?

I'd just like to know; how to weather white armour pieces. With some background knowledge, it'd look messy and spotty on white if I did it how I've been taught. Any tips that could be passed on to a curious member?

I've watched some videos on youtube by Adam Grumbo on weathering and painting. You could mix black acrylic paint with some water and just paint it on then wipe off the excess that aren't in the crevasses. You can do the same with brown paint or a mix of brown and this earthy clay color. That should get you a weathered/worn effect. Hope this helps! And if you need to watch one of his video's here is a link to the video -->

Nice is the whole visor see through or just in certain areas?

The whole visor is see through; I was fortunate enough to get one from Armory Props, or I would have had to figure out the window option.

I did it with a really watered down wash of black paint, followed immediately by a damp swipe with a clean cloth. Not entirely sure if it's right, but it turned out okay. ^^;

I've watched some videos on youtube by Adam Grumbo on weathering and painting. You could mix black acrylic paint with some water and just paint it on then wipe off the excess that aren't in the crevasses. You can do the same with brown paint or a mix of brown and this earthy clay color. That should get you a weathered/worn effect. Hope this helps! And if you need to watch one of his video's here is a link to the video -->

Oh...Hey, I did do it right! :D It really did help bring out some of the "used" look I was going for, so I was happy enough.

Greatness! Happy Mother's day!

Why, thank you kindly!

Update!

Yeah, it isn't much of one after so long away, but I had to buckle myself down to orders for a while. ^^; RTX is barreling toward us way too quickly and I haven't even started the Meta's signature weapon yet, so I forced myself off my lazy butt and began work on it yesterday. Haven't gotten that far, but I have begun to see (very slight) progress. Half the battle is getting started, amirite?

Okay, here are a few pics, then I need some sleep. =_= Got the beast sketched up...
wNUjMPal.jpg

Started cutting stuff out for something tangible to start with...
xAzCCJyl.jpg

And began adding depth.
8Q6nwdol.jpg

I really wanted to put a bit of storage space in there somewhere, but it's holding me up trying to work around that. I'll just have to concede that it'll just be added later, or not at all. I'm just happy to have ideas on construction and a little progress, so building the thing is bound to go faster after that decision.

One thing I just can't get around...that middle bit really looks like the back of a speaker. lol.. Yeah, it's time for sleep, I'm going...

wNUjMPal.jpg

xAzCCJyl.jpg

8Q6nwdol.jpg

Update!

...Okay, so it's more of a post-con photo purge to show the suit off at its current state. We wore our suits all three days, but not for the whole thing each day. It was tiring and our feet paid for it, but it was so worth it! People went nuts when they saw the Meta cruising around the floor, and many, many people wanted selfies with the Meta, or to be killed my the Meta in a photo. All in an average day's work, I guess. XD So, pics!

w3KS0PUl.jpg

cnL1LVFl.png

dEvd8pSl.jpg

pf0o0uYl.png

FhBA2ral.png

iGvGC84l.png

ZcsZ5aml.png

The moment he stepped off of the elevator at the hotel on the first day, he was physically glomped to the floor by an overly amorous fan of the Meta. Had I been there, I may have popped a blood vessel and/or had to have been physically restrained... Still, it's good to know that the suit can hold up remarkably well in the face of a close-line tackle.

I still don't like those gray pieces at the shoulders and I think I need to give them some detailing or painting attention to give them some kind of depth. The boot blew up at one point, but thankfully the 405th booth had two hot glue guns plugged in for such occasions. The sewing kit and Peter were invaluable, as well...sewing something you can't see while wearing the suit is a real pain.

Many of these pics are courtesy of Adam Grumbo, who was kind enough to get us some great shots of our costumes. We had so many taken OF us, but came away with considerably less for ourselves. ^^; It was pretty stellar to meet some of this community there, and we really can't wait to do it again! :D

w3KS0PUl.jpg

cnL1LVFl.png

dEvd8pSl.jpg

pf0o0uYl.png

FhBA2ral.png

iGvGC84l.png

ZcsZ5aml.png

Your suit and that Brut Shot looks incredible, great job. Also that is one reason I love EVA foam; it can take a licking and still look as good as new... with the occasional minor repair.

i am currently working on a foam armor set after goin to rtx this year and i had asked a spartan if i could use his bruteshot so a guardian could "kill" me and after that when i got back i started to look at ways to build armor i started it once and scrapped it since and am making a foam armor set n happen to come across this thread. ull notice in the background is your son and thats me laying on the ground lol. tell him thanks for letting me use his brute shot for the pic

NkLWQ-kh.jpeg

How much would I have to pay you to make me one of these?

In the future please message the thread creator directly. This thread has been inactive since November 2014, we consider this Necro posting. It takes away from the active building on the front page. Good way to tell is the top of the last post shows a date, if its older than a few weeks its probably a dead thread. Best way to commision someone to do the work is by Direct messaging them. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back