Props Energy Sword - Man at Arms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verdan

Not mine, but thought people might want to see another person's take on the Energy Sword.

http://youtu.be/ROctQjQP_HQ

I really like his work, but it seemed to me this was a little rushed and the two halves weren't held together well, allowing them to move independently.

Slick work by the guy, and I really like the science that went into his steel choice and hardening temperatures.

That being said, I'm not sure what you mean about the two sides not being held together well. He re-tig'd the handle after the second heat treating process, so it couldn't have been secured any more strongly. The sad fact of the matter is that steel bends easily, especially when it is cut that long and thin. Smart move on his part for choosing 5160 steel ( which is a spring steel) which will be more willing to return to its original shape if it does bend.

Yeah I know he tig'd it back together and the handle grips wont affect it at all, but it was just a shame to see them flapping around independently. I was hoping for some genius way to make them more sturdy.

I got a lot of love for my sword at Katsucon 2014.

I used polycarbonate and LEDs.

46816539-5bb4-44d6-af75-e3a82577eac1_zpsd124ee30.jpg

Strong enough to dual with the local Light sabers
DSCN0198_zps250dbf81.jpg

Attachments

• 46816539-5bb4-44d6-af75-e3a82577eac1_zpsd124ee30.jpg
    46816539-5bb4-44d6-af75-e3a82577eac1_zpsd124ee30.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0198_zps250dbf81.jpg
    DSCN0198_zps250dbf81.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 179
Yeah I know he tig'd it back together and the handle grips wont affect it at all, but it was just a shame to see them flapping around independently. I was hoping for some genius way to make them more sturdy.

Ah gotcha. Perhaps laying up the steel in thin layers ( think cross grained wood veneers vs. a thin single chunk of wood) would solve the issue, making it slightly thicker at the hilt, and adding a "reverse fuller" (not sure if it's a real term lol) to add more rigidity down the length of the blade.

Rancid, I loved seeing your costume in person at Katsucon, can't wait to meet up again at Otakon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back