Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Military Equipment Q&A

Military Equipment Q&A

So I'm starting this post for anyone who has military related questions.

My Credentials:
    USN Seabee
    Coastal Riverine
    Defensive combat operations (DCO) qualified
    Expeditionary combat skills (ECS) qualified
    8 months attached to 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit
    M9, M16/M4, M203, M60, M240, M2HB qualified
    civilian weapons instructor

Countries Travelled:
    Australia
    Timor Leste
    Bahrain
    Kuwait
    Saudi Arabia
    Jordan
    Hong Kong
    Spain
    Sicily
    Crete

Favorite weapon: Fire Axe
    That's exactly it, Private. War's over. We won. Turns out you're the big hero and we're gonna hold a parade in your honor. I get to drive the float, and Simmons here IS IN CHARGE OF CONFETTI!

Do soldiers actually have grenades all lined up in a belt on their chest in open fire?

Blog Entries
    most people are in cover or in the best from of cover they can find. I would know I've got a book on it.

oh and something I read said urban combat once the ground level is cleared you blow the second floor to clear it... wouldn't it be safer to just bang and clear with frag's?
    The only thing that separates success from failure is one last attempt. Try one more time and you may get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Retralpha View Post
    Do soldiers actually have grenades all lined up in a belt on their chest in open fire?
    Not anymore. I've seen photos from Nam' with it like that. Normally there is at least one guy in a squad with an M203 grenade launcher mounted to his rifle with a pouch holding a number of different 40mm shells (similar to the M-319 rounds from Reach).

and Fox, idk where you are reading that, but if its not the most up to date version of a Army, Marines, Air Force, or Navy field/tech manual, its probably untrue. We always hit rooms with a flash unless its a known machine gun nest.
    That's exactly it, Private. War's over. We won. Turns out you're the big hero and we're gonna hold a parade in your honor. I get to drive the float, and Simmons here IS IN CHARGE OF CONFETTI!

Please delete.
    Last edited by Dorvack; 03-08-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by axmaxwell View Post
    Not anymore. I've seen photos from Nam' with it like that. Normally there is at least one guy in a squad with an M203 grenade launcher mounted to his rifle with a pouch holding a number of different 40mm shells (similar to the M-319 rounds from Reach).

and Fox, idk where you are reading that, but if its not the most up to date version of a Army, Marines, Air Force, or Navy field/tech manual, its probably untrue. We always hit rooms with a flash unless its a known machine gun nest.
    I've got it from the encyclopedia of combat techniques from 2002 so it's a little out of date but, most of it still works.
    The only thing that separates success from failure is one last attempt. Try one more time and you may get lucky.

So I looked up that book. Added it to my amazon read list.

Blog Entries
    yeah all thing warfare I know... so drone's look out.

Please delete.
    Last edited by Dorvack; 03-08-2014 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorvack View Post
    So, neither of you combat gurus want to answer my question?
    Sorry I missed it. I've been on guardmount the last 36 hours. I'm not sure what you mean by point shooting, so I'll give you two answers.

At super close range, we are taught to flip safety at the beginning of the draw and if they are within 5 feet fire the first round as soon as the pistol is level with the target. Subsequent shots are made after the weapon is in the users Natural Point of Aim. We always teach shooting under stress to reinforce the fact that when you are really ramped up you might not always be able to use your sights. Heavy rain shooting is one of the situations where sights are almost useless. at 100 yards in daylight you can hit steel with an M4, but in heavy rain its piss impossible to use the irons.

As for middle finger control... I hope you don't mean using your middle finger on the trigger... that's a big no no, especially for pistols.

Maybe with a little clarity I can give you a better answer.